Monday, 30 January 2017

M25 Barrow Green


Post to the north Oxted Downs
Post to the west Godstone Rooks Nest


Barrow Green Road
Barrow Green Farm. The farmhouse is a mid 16th Wealden farmhouse. It is timber framed with  rendered cladding below, and tile. There is known to have been a lime kiln here.
Oasthouse. This is a late 18th rubblestone and clunch bulding. It has a pyramidal roof over a square pavilion at the south end. There are also some associated buildings.
Mount. This is a large bowl-shaped mound perhaps 30 ft high. The top has a flat area about 20 ft. in diameter. It may be natural or a natural feature converted to a barrow – which has been the view in the past. It was excavated in 1869 and was then thought to be natural. Later observers thought it had a ditch round it and found flint flakes. They said loose sand was piled up in a circular heap on sand-stone. It is thought that it could possibly have been a motte to hold some sort of fortification and is shown in 1408 as a castle mound. It is also thought that it could have been landscaped as a feature for Barrow Green Court.
Tandridge Priory.  This developed from a hospital founded 1189-99 which became an Augustinian Priory in 1218.  It was dedicated to St. James  and it held the rectory of Tandridge and some other lands, It was suppressed in 1538. Three fishponds from the Priory remain in the grounds of the present house.
Riding School. This dates from the 1980s and provides livery and riding lessons. The associated house is called Tandridge Priory. The present Tandridge Priory and this is a substantial, 17th  country house. The site includes gardens and paddocks, with stabling for seven horses
Coney Hill Sandpit. This has been filled in and ‘restored’. It was last used in 1988 and was later now owned by London Borough of Bromley.    Conoco began drilling here for oil and gas and there are two ‘nodding donkey’ pumps on site. It is now part of the Palmers Hill Oil Field.
Oxted Sand pit. This was used for the extraction of soft sand and later to dump aggregates. It has been investigated for landfill and ‘restoration’.
School Plantation. Area of woodland


M25

Tandridge Hill Lane
The Abbeys. Large area of woodland.
Priory Shaw. This is an area within the wood, whose name must reflect the priory adjacent to the south.
Greenacres. Care home.
Duckpit Wood Landfill Site. This is a disused sand pit used for landfill,
Borehole. The water supply bore hole here was found to be contaminated and a new bore hole dug.

Sources
British History online. Tandridge. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Domesday reloaded. Web site
Gatehouse Gazeteer. Web site
Historic England. Web site
Parker. Highways and Byways of Surrey
Pastscape. Web site
Surrey County Council. Web site
Sutton and East Surrey Water Co. Web site
Tandridge District Council. Web site
Tandridge Priory, Web site

No comments: