Gospel Oak to Barking Railway,
The Gospel Oak to Barking Railway line runs south eastwards from Woodgrange Park Station towards Barking
The Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Ilford runs north eastwards from Manor Park Station and onwards
Post to the west Manor Park
Post to the north Aldersbrook
Post to the east Little Ilford
New housing on what was the site of the Woodgrange Park Station goods yard and entered via a path from Warwick Avenue which goes through the old area of the line and under the main road
Woodgrange Park Community Centre
Little Ilford School. Secondary School. Founded in 1957. The site was previously used for Rectory Manor School, a local authority girls' school.
Sri Murugan Temple. The decorations follow Tamil traditions. The start of the temple was in 1975 when a group of Hindus from the Tamil community in London got together to plan and fund raise. A programme of religious meetings and social events became regular features. A number of sites were considered but, because so many members lived in East London, this site was acquired in 1978 for a temple to be constructed in traditional style. It was opened in 1984. The central granite shrine belongs to Lord Muruga, one of the two sons of Parvathi and Shiva. His brother, Ganesh, is on his right, and father Shiva on his left. Lord Muruga is the sole supreme lord who holds the three aspects of the holy trinity, Brahma, Shiva and Vishnu. The shrines are carved from black granite shipped from India. The building follows a design drawn by architect Sri Muthiah Sthapathi and chief priest, Sri Naganathsivam Kurukka and architect Terry Freeman worked on the construction with a team of Indian experts
St. Saviour's church. This was built in 1894–5, where an iron church had stood earlier. It was a Reformed Episcopal Church building. In 1905 it, or an adjoining building, was taken over by the Salvation Army, who remained there until 1920. The East Ham, Manor Park, and Ilford District Synagogue was consecrated here in 1900 and rebuilt in 1927. In 1947 the synagogue took over the adjoining building as a youth centre. It closed in 1986 and the buildings are now the Gurdwara and community centre.
Shri Guru Ravidass Gurdwara. The members of this mission believe in Shri Guru Ravidas Ji as their prophet and revere him as Guru, the embodiment of God. The devotees are known as Ravidassia’s. In 1965 members celebrated the 558th birth anniversary of Shri Guru Ravidas Ji Maharaj decided to hold regular gatherings to worship and learn the teachings. In 1985, the Sabha purchased a premises formerly used as a Synagogue in Carlyle Road and in 1987 also purchased the neighbouring building for use as a community centre.. Unfortunately there was then a split over doctrine and many of the congregation left.
31 small hall which was used by CARE Newham and a number of other voluntary sector organisations.
2a Church Road Masjid Mosque. This is in a large building which looks industrial
East Ham Electricity Substation. This was built in Church Road in 1931 for the East Ham Municipal Electricity Department. It had two 1,000 kw. motor converters by the English Electric Co., Ltd., a five- panel Whitehead type E.H.T installed.
School. In 1865 a National day-school was built on glebe land with grants from the government and the National Society and this school was extended in subsequent years. In 1887, when a school board was formed, it was immediately taken over and the children moved elsewhere although and from 1901 it were used for church purposes. In 1951 it was sold to East Ham borough council which demolished them and built flats now called Leamington Close
30 Clinic. This opened in 1936 providing maternity and children's welfare services and dental care. The building was demolished and the E12 Health Centre opened on the site in 2004.
E12 Health Centre GP based clinic opened in 2004
30a Royal British Legion. This club has now closed but the local branch of the Legion still operates from here.
121 Darus Salaam Mosque. Madrassa and welfare centre
56-62 Church Road Studios. This is in the buildings of what was the Advance Laundry. Advance was a national company with many laundries and services. They were a subsidiary of British Electric Traction itself an associate of Rentokil. They were eventually merged with Initial Towel Services which still operates under Rentokil.
78 Sri Murgan Temple, the entrance is in Browning Road
90 Avenue Pub. This is closed and is now the site of the Hindu Temple. The building is still there.
Manor Park Youth Institute 1952-1956
St Winefride’s Roman Catholic Primary school. The school dates from 1909 but has since been enlarged.
St Mary. The church is now part of the parish of St. Michael and All Angels which is in Romford Road. St. Mary’s is a tiny medieval church in an ancient churchyard. Excavation has uncovered Romano-British pottery, and posthole evidence of a Saxon church. The doors and windows of the current church are Norman and the walls are a mixture of rag stone rubble, flint, chalk, and Roman tile, owing to the lack of natural stone in the area. The nave could well be older than the estimated late 12th century. There is a timber bell turret. The interior has a Georgian character with cream-painted plastered walls, grained panels of painted wood, and Hanoverian Royal arms. The Organ is later 19th. There is a brick Lethieullier Chapel with family monuments and eulogies and many other monuments in the main body of the church.
Churchyard. This is enclosed by a row of blackened brick kiln wasters. There are several railed chest tombs and headstones with the device of a soul borne by angels with two identified war graves.
St Stephen. Roman Catholic Church founded in 1918 and built in 1924. The church is by D.R. Buries & Buries, steel-framed, faced in grey brick, with a pinnacle spire.
Gloy Works. Gloy glue and other adhesive pastes was made here by A. Wilme Collier & Co in 1907 – this was later Associated Adhesives.
Chancery Court. New build flats on the site of a vehicle repair business. Uses themes relating to 16th costume in design because of the adjacent school named for local landowner Sir John Heron.
Wesley House. This relates to the church adjacent to it in Romford Road. I was built following the amalgamation of two Methodist groups here in 1934 and was built with money from the sale of a church in Romford Road as a Sunday school and institute. It dates from 1937 and was designed by R.J.L. Slater. Its severe exterior hides internal spaces with provision for play schools and functions and an oak-panelled chapel upstairs.
High Street North
The road is called White Post Lane on earlier maps
524 Manor Park Community Centre. This was formerly Rehoboth Strict Baptist Chapel. This began in 1830 with a group from Stepney. This church was built in 1907 add a new school room added in1928. The church closed in the mid-1970s and the building converted into Manor Park Community Centre.
500 Revival House – this is a Kenyan church group. The Capstone Church is also at this address. It seems previously to have been the Manor Park Constitutional Club, who went into liquidation in 2002.
501 Royal Regency Banqueting Hall. This was the Coronation Electric Theatre which opened in 1911 designed by architect Stanley Burwood and operated by the Fredericks Circuit. It closed in 1920 to be enlarged by Clifford A. Aish and re-opened as the New Coronation Cinema in 1921. It was decorated in flamboyant style - “unusually lavish” with full stage facilities, an organ and a cafe. It was owned by Abraham’s Suburban Super Cinemas Ltd. until 1929 when it was taken over by Associated British Cinemas. It was hen wired for sound and a Compton 3Manual/8Ranks organ was installed. It closed in 1968 and was converted into a Mecca Bingo Club painted in a lurid colour-scheme. Bingo closed in 1985 and it was converted into a snooker club which remained open until 2008. In 2009, the building it became the Royal Regency and the outside has been re-painted and inside the original ceiling and decorations have been restored.
Salisbury Primary School. This was opened as Manor Park Board School in 1893. In 1924 it was renamed Salisbury and reorganised. Since 1945 it has been for juniors and infants and is now a primary school.
495 Building which was originally used by the Territorial Army but which has been used by Newham Council and become part of the school to the rear.
454 Manor Park Christian Centre. The church is part of the Evangelical Alliance and includes a Tamil Church. The building was originally Manor Park Tabernacle, a Baptist church. In 1889 there were meetings in a local school and a shop. In 1897 the church bought five plots of land on the corner of High Street North opened an iron church there. In 1906 a larger church was built on adjoining land and - Sunday School Halls followed in 1925. The church was affected by Second World War bomb damage and the Sunday School Hall was used by the local authority until 1953. Membership figures dropped and the church withdrew from the Baptist Union and the main building was derelict. In 1984 an independent Tamil speaking church, began to meet in the side hall and then in 1986 ‘the East London Christian Fellowship joined the Church. They were a break away from the Assemblies of God in Plashet Grove. The main church buildings have been modernized and made ‘user-friendly’ and are used by worshippers from many different nationalities, and cultural backgrounds
442-444 Baitur Rahman Masjid. Banglashdeshi institution in two converted shops.
East Ham United Services Club. This was on the corner of Salisbury Road but has been replaced by flats
Flats on the site of a previous National School.
Little Ilford Lane
54-68 Azhar Academy. Suppliers of Islamic books. This is basically on the site of what was the Gloy Glue Works.
Housing on the site of a council yard
Rabbits Road gets its name from the pub that stood on the corner and is now a chemists shop.
Rabbits farm- this farm appears on maps before 1900 roughly at the northern end of the road
Little Ilford Learning Zone. Adult Education classes.
616 Earl of Essex. Pub which is now closed. Over the entrance in Romford Road there is an inscribed stone that the pub was "erected Coronation Year 1902". The coronation was that of King Edward VII.
654 Cosy Corner Picture Palace. This was a shop turned into Electric Bioscope Theatre and operated by a Mr Dickman in 1914. It closed in the early-1920’s, and was eventually demolished to become a car park
685-693 Manor Park Library. This was built and designed in 1905 by the then Borough Engineer, A.H. Campbell. It is in red brick and terracotta with all sorts of decorative features. The foundation stone was laid by Passmore Edwards but it was Andrew Carnegie who the leading funder. There are various busts and names of literary figures on the walls -Longfellow, Milton, Shakespeare, Tennyson - Burns and Scott, and a bust of Carnegie himself. Inside there is a circular lobby with doors with Art Nouveau glass.
722-744 Shah Jahal Mosque. This is also Manor Park Islamic Cultural Centre.
776a Celestial Church of Christ. The Seventh Year Parish. The building was originally a Methodist Church Built in about 1901. The Celestial Church took it over in 1992 by which time it was the Little Eye Youth Club. It has a prominent tower in striped brick.
833 Three Rabbits pub. Apparently it was named because the area was known for its rabbit warrens. This is closed and is a chemists shop and flats.
855 Froud Centre. St. Michael’s church replacing a former arts and crafts building from 1897-8. The new church, community centre, and flat are, named after Jimmy Froud, a past warden of Durning Hall and built in 1990 by APEG. It is part of the Aston Mansfield charitable organisation which owns and manages a number of centres and settlements in east London. There is a freestanding figure of St Michael slaying the devil by Crutchley. Wooden triptych War Memorial with names on it behind hinged doors.
Methodist Church. Church building opened in 2009. It replaces a church built in 1964, that was badly damaged by fire (believed to be arson) in 2003. This too replaced a church built in 1891 which replaced one built in 1870. The first congregation met in an old beer-shop and then in a skittle alley.
County Gaol, This stood on the site between Worcester and Gloucester roads. As the County Gaol, Little Ilford house of Correction was built in 1829–31 by Essex quarter sessions. It was run on the ‘silent system’, had about 60 cells, 8 day wards, 10 airing yards, and a tread-mill. In 1860 it became a gaol for prisoners on remand or serving short sentences. It was closed in 1878 and demolished soon after.
Sir John Heron Primary School. This opened in 2001 – and its web it says it is on the site of the ‘Fifth Avenue School’. Avenue Junior and Infants schools were opemed in Fourth Avenue 1890 by Little Ilford School Board as the successor to the former National school in Church Road. They appear to have been called Fourth Avenue School and were between Vernon Avenue and School Road, which then ran parallel to Vernon Avenue. In 1929 the school was reorganized and called Avenue School. During the Second World War the infants’ school was destroyed by bombing and reopened in a temporary building in 1947. By the early 1960s the school had buildings on both sides of School Road. Sir John Heron appears to have held land in Wanstead in the 16th.
Essex Primary School. Essex Road board school was opened in 1898 by Little Ilford School Board. It was reorganised in 1929 and again in 1945. In 1952, secondary pupils were transferred to a new Rectory Manor building, and Essex became a school for juniors and infants
38 ex-industrial site which appears to be in private educational use
16-18 Kingdom Life Chapel International
Blakesley Arms. This dates from 1887, with terracotta detailing.
Little Ilford Baptist Church. This is Little Ilford Tabernacle founded in 1889.It was originally in what was then White Post Lane but in 1895 an iron building was erected in Salisbury Road. In 1900 the congregation moved to Little Ilford Lane again using an iron building. The present church was built in 1905. In 1957 a new hall for youth work, was added and it as a mural painting in it of 'Pilgrim's Progress'.
Sheringham Nursery School and Children’s Centre. Post Second World War buildings on a site previously used for 19th housing.
Sheringham Primary School The school dated from the 1970s and appears to be a post- Second World War foundation on a site previously used for 19th housing. It has recently been rebuilt
Little Ilford Spiritualist Church. This began in a shop in Church Road as a Christian Spiritualist Church. In 1925 land became available in Third Avenue and members built a new Church which was later extended. This building has a large as well as an office used by the mediums a healing and circle room. The site is likely to be rebuilt as flats in order to fund building repairs. The church will then be renamed Newham SNU Spiritualist Centre.
1 mosaic Attached to St Michael and All Angels Church
London Electricity Woodgrange Park Sub-Station on the site of an earlier coal yard
Aston Mansfield. Web site
British History Online. East Ham. Web site
British History Online.. Little Ilford. Web site
Celestial Church of Christ. Web site
Church Road Masjid Mosque. Web site
Cinema Theatres Association. Newsletter
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Closed Pubs. Web site
E12 Health Centre. Web site
Essex Primary School. Web site
Essex Spirit Guide. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Grace’s Guide. Web site.
Little Ilford Baptist Church. Web site.
Little Ilford School. Web site
London Borough of Newham. Web site
Manor Park Christian Centre. Web site
Manor Park’s Free Art. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Rentokil. Web site.
Revival House. Web site.
Salisbury Primary School. Web site
Shah Jahal Mosque. Web site
Shri Guru Ravidass Gurdwara. Web site
Sri Murugan Temple. Web site
Shady Old Lady. Web site
Sir John Heron School. Web site
St Winefride’s Roman Catholic Primary school. Web site
The Newham Story. Web site