The Gospel Oak to Barking Railway running from Blackhorse Road Station goes south eastwards
Post to the south Low Hall
Post to the west Blackhorse Lane
Post to the east Walthamstow
A Warner Estate Road with the name taken from the manorial name of Higham Bensted
A Warner Estate Road with the name taken from Warner’s Somerset constituency which included Chewton Magna
Houses – each house consists of two large flats.
30 Coleridge Road Specialist Health Centre. Learning disabilities service.
A Warner Estate Road with the name taken from the home of an ancestor’s father in law
A Warner Estate Road with the name taken from one of Courtney Warner’s wife’s names
Called after the 19th Lord Chancellor.
17 showpiece garden,
2-12 William Morris Multicultural Day Care Centre. Seems to be on the site of the Erskine Road Spurgeon Memorial church, which was an iron hall built here in 1901. It closed about 1911–12. In 1970 it was a school meals centre.
67 Councillors Arms Off Licence. Grand pub building which is said never to have had a pub licence. In the early 20th it was the Independent Labour Party Club. Now owned by Muslim organisations Ahmadiyya Muslim Association and the East London Baitul Ahad.
106 Emmanuel Christian Centre. Emmanuel Hall, Pentecostal Church of God, The church moved here in 1926. The church now runs a school, nursery and other outreach work
252-254 Lord Palmerston. Pub with terracotta outside and inside with engraved glass and some original furnishings
360 Police Station. Built in 1891 by John Dixon Butler. A substantial red brick pile,
341-343 The 1920s fire station was replaced with a new building in 2012. Said to be a plaque on it which says “Borough of Walthamstow. Directly opposite stood Elm House (demolished in 1898) in extensive grounds, the birthplace of William Morris 24 March 1834”.
Elm House. Morris was born here but the family later moved to Water House – the current Morris Gallery.
282 London Spring & Fibre Co building in pre-Second World War. This is now a snooker and social club
276 Jack o’London Briar Pipe Factory. Hardcastle Pipes. Hardcastle was founded in 1908 by Edmund Hardcastle. . In 1935 Dunhill started to build a factory next door to then and Hardcastle eventually became a subsidiary of them although the Hardcastle family continued in the company’s management. In 1967 Dunhill merged Hardcastle with Parker as Parker Hardcastle Limited. The Forest Road plant was given up
William Morris Technical School. This was Gainsford Road board school, opened in 1902, and renamed William Morris in 1903 because it was built on land adjoining Elm House, where he lived. In 1906 part of it became a higher elementary school later moved to Greenleaf Road and the rest closed in 1933. The building then became the William Morris technical school, and reorganised as a mixed technical school in 1948. The school has been demolished and the site is now housing. One building remains – said to be the domestic science block – in use by Waltham Forest Social Services
Green Pond Road
Stadium which was Walthamstow Avenue Football Clubs’ ground until they merged with Leytonstone & Ilford to form Redbridge Forest. The stadium's record attendance was for a game in the 1948 summer Olympics. The ground was often called 'The Pond'. There is now housing on the site
80 Greenleaf Primary School. Forest Road board school opened in 1894 and in 1946 was reorganized for juniors and infants. In 1963 the junior school was closed and its buildings demolished. A new infants building was opened on the site in 1965.
William McGuiffie Secondary Modern School. William Morris School was in Gainsford Road and in 1906 part of it became a higher elementary school, which was transferred here in 1910. It was known as North West central school by 1922 and in 1932 became as a senior school for 360 boys and 360 girls and renamed William McGuffie., it has since flossed and been demolished.
Greenleaf Playground. On some of the old school site
Bedford Institute Friends Hall. This was founded by the Quakers in 1903, as one of the new outer suburban centres established by the Bedford Institute. An educational settlement was instituted in 1922. The two merged in 1955, and in 1965 came under the control of Waltham Forest Borough Council who took it over completely in 1976. It is in red brick, two storeys with an entrance tower in Melville Road. It is now largely used by the Emmanuel church as their headquarters and for a nimbler of their projects.
Inserco House. This company is involved in the supply and installation of Mechanical, Electrical, Instrumentation, Controls and Automation equipment. It was founded in the 1970s. This was their head office until the 1990s.
Hervey Park Road
Forest Road Hall. Forest this was built and registered in 1892. It is said to have begun s the Forest mission of Wood Street Union Church, but became a Baptist church by 1903. The building was, still listed as a mission in 1951 but registered as unsectarian in 1961 and in regular use in 1970. It is now the anglers head quarters
2a Izaaak Walton House. Headquarters of the London Anglers Association. This was formed from the amalgamation in 1871 of the 'Good Intent Angling Society' and the 'Hoxton Brothers' and they rent or own throughout the south of England: on rivers, canals and lakes.
Was Marsh Lane and renamed in 1882
Chequers. Pub which dates from at least 1699, when it acted as a courtroom. It was rebuilt after being burnt down in 1791
182 shop with “printing works” as a sign on the first floor wall. The works was established 1882- 1896, probably by George Oscar Dawson. By 1901 it was owned by Everett Brothers according and. remained theirs until 1923. The premises were then bought by The Walthamstow Press Ltd to print the Walthamstow and Leyton Guardian. In 1935, they moved away and the premises has been occupied a variety of firns and is currently a sweet shop.
Higham Hill Road
Leslie’s were druggists' sundrymen from Leicester and Warwick, and moved to Walthamstow in 1900. They were one of the first firms in Britain to develop self-adhesive plasters. The factory in here was built in 1937 but was bombed in the Second World War
Temple of Truth. Ministry of Restoration International Pentecostal Church. This was built as a Baptist Church in 1896.
99 Hillyfield Primary ‘Academy’ school. Hillyfield opened in 2003 and moved into its current new building in November 2005
43-46 Perforated Front Projection Screen Co., Ltd., they made materials suitable for use with projection equipment.
Housing built on the site of factory buildings marked as ‘Colour works’.
St Patrick’s Aided Roman Catholic School. An extension in yellow brick, has silver-clad monopitch roofs at different angles. The school opened as a junior and infants school, Longfield Avenue, 1930 and in 1952 a nursery class was added.
Stoneydown Park is called after a local field and farm. Originally it was an ornamental garden, called Stoneydown Gardens, opened in 1920. In 1955 Stoneydown Recreation Ground was added with a recreation ground and children's playground. A footpath connected the two areas,
A Warner Estate Road with the name taken from one of Courtney Warner’s wife’s names
Named for the 18th Lord Chief Justice
A Warner Estate Road with the name taken from East or West Mersey in Essex where the Warners held the manor
Designs on the railway bridge undertaken by pupils at Willowfield School
St.Michael and All Angels, Built in 1884- for the first incumbent. Father William Ibbotson, by J.M. Bignall. Richard Foster contributed to the cost and it is a big church the ecclesiological tradition, although a tower and spire were not built. It is in brick and inside are High Church furnishings.
Vicarage 1888-9, gabled with brick
Sunday Schools of 1885, both by Bignall.
Stoneydown Park Primary School. The school opened in 1963 originally based in Blackhorse Road
Pretoria Avenue Air Shaft. This structure which is alongside the gates of Stoneydown Park Primary School is a vent shaft for the Victoria Line.
Pretoria Avenue board school opened in 1888. It was reorganized in 1928, and in 1935. the school closed in 1938.It was then used as a sfore until 1955 when twp special schools used it. It has since been used as a disability centre fronting onto Warner Road. The area fronting Pretoria Avenue has scattered area of copse which screens the site and a man-made pond
Margaret Brearley school for the educationally subnormal. This school, which had been on various sites in the Borough moved to this site in 1955 and was given its present name, which was that of a previous head. Part of the school moved to a different site in 1972 and the rest followed in the early 1980s
Joseph Clarke School for the partially sighted moved here in 1952 having been on a number of sites in the area previously. In 1971 they moved to a purpose built site elsewhere in the borough.
Wells Toy Factory. Based here from 1924 until 1932
Wells Brimtoy factory. They made tinplate toys and had originated in Islington in 1919 by Alfred Wells. in 1924 they moved to a factory in Somers Road, Walthamstow. In 1932 Wells bought Brimtoy, and moved to a factory in Stirling Road, The factory closed un 1955 and production was moved to Wales.
Mural painting on the railway bridge by local school children
Essex Cordage Works purpose built by E.W.J. Fuller and Sons Ltd, and originally occupied by George Bramson Co. who made jute cordage and webbing. It is a single storey structure built in the late 1930s and as a specialist rope and cord making factory it was designed as a linear building. Bramson went out of business in the early 1960s and it was then occupied until 2011 by Baker Adhesive Labels Ltd.
Sutherland House. this was purpose built by E.W.J. Fuller and Sons Ltd and is a three storey building built in the immediate post Second World War period for Britain’s Toys Ltd. who occupied all f it from 1951-1968 before moving to Blackhorse Road. Britains had come from a factory in Crouch End and had specialised in hollow cast lead soldiers. They expanded this to a farm range which was made here in Walthamstow.
Thomas Jacomb Close
New housing on site of a number of small works
10 Harmony Hall. This is an arts and music venue. It was set up in 1936 as the Marsh Street Mission built by The Shaftesbury Society and Marsh Street Congregational Church with money from the closure of Ragged Schools and was built on the site of a previous Unitarian church. A boys club called “The League of Three”, founded in 1906, moved here and provided a boxing club, badminton, tennis and woodwork, etc. In the Second World War an air raid shelter here was used by local residents. Since 1999 it has been managed by charity, CREST Waltham Forest and it has added to the art exhibition and performance space.
Varied by gables with terracotta rosettes.
Disability Centre - Board School. This is a typical Walthamstow earlier one-storey type of school built in 1888 and, planned together with the housing. It was used as the The site contains the former Pretoria Avenue School building ad later special needs schools, also based in Pretoria Road. Later it was the Waltham Forest Disability Resource centre which also moved out.
Warner developments and building here carried on into 1930s. The avenue was originally built in 1898 on 86 acres of land from the grounds of Water House. There is distinctive Warner marking on the housing.
Archipelago of Truth. Blog site
British History Online. Walthamstow. Web site
Emmanuel Church. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Greenleaf Primary School. Web site
Green Pond Road. Wikipedia. Web site
Harmony Hall. Web site
Historic Buildings of Chingford
Inserco. Web site
London Anglers. Web site.
London Borough of Waltham Forest. Web site
London Gardens. On line. Web site
Lord Palmerston. Web site
National Archives. Web site
Painted signs and mosaics. Blog site
Pevsner & Cherry. Essex
Pipeopedia. Web site
Plumer. Courtney Warner and the Warner Estate
St. Patricks School. Web site.
Victoria County History of Essex