Wednesday, 11 June 2014

Gospel Oak to Barking Railway. Leyton

The Gospel Oak to Barking Railway, running from Walthamstow Queens Road goes south eastwards

Post to the north Hoe Street
Post to the south Leyton
Post to the west Lea Bridge Road
Post to the east Leyton

Beaumont Road
Beaumont Road is the spine road in a large local authority housing estate. It is the largest housing estate in the Borough of Waltham Forest. It was built in two stages. Stage 1 dating from 1963 had one 21-storey tower and in 1965 another 21-storey tower was added. Stage 2 dating from 1966 had another 21-storey tower, and 23 low rise blocks. Demolition of the original housing, began in 2006 with plans for replacement and redevelopment 
Walthamstow Slip. In 2004, during the rebuilding of the Estate, part of a Roman Road was found. This aligned with the boundary of the “Walthamstow Slip“.
All Saints Tower. 21 storey tower block built 1963 with 120 flats and since demolished
St Catherine’s. 21 storey tower block built 1965 with 120 flats and since demolished
St Paul's Tower.  21 storey tower block built 1965 with 120 flats and since demolished
St Edward's Court. Flats. Part of the Beaumont Estate since demolished
Flack Court. Local authority flats
Ayerst Court. Flats. Part of the Beaumont Estate
Muriel Court. Flats. Part of the Beaumont Estate
31 The Beaumont Arms. It was originally established in 1872 and by 1905 was leased to the New London Brewery, and described as ‘structurally unfit and dilapidated’. It was completely rebuilt in 1963.  By 1959 it had been taken over by the Wenlock Brewery of Hoxton, later passing to Charrington’s.  It closed in 2997 was demolished in 2010.
Dare Court Flats. Part of the Beaumont Estate
Shelly Court Flats. Part of the Beaumont Estate
Atkinson Court Flats. Part of the Beaumont Estate
Beaumont Community Centre

Byron Road
This was originally James Road, but changed to St. James Road and then Byron Road during the 19th

Campion Road
10 St Elizabeth Court
St Luke’s Court. Four storey flats part of the Beaumont Estate

Capworth Street”
In the 18th this was “Capport Street or ‘earlier ‘Copper Street.
Walthamstow Slip. This was a part of the Parish of Walthamstow that actually lay in Leyton. It was a between 80 and 100 yards wide and stretched from the Eagle Pond to Leyton Green and then followed Capworth Street, and then across the Marsh to the Lea.
21 St Josephs Court. Part of the Beaumont Estate Flats which have been demolished
29 Emanuel Court. Flats. Part of the Beaumont Estate
49 St Mathews Court Flats. Part of the Beaumont Estate
78 Charis Church. The premises have been a church since 1993 when it was Glory House. It was previously a warehouse used by a newsagent and distributor.
Leyton Manor Park.  A local park with play facilities set up in 1994. It is on the site of Leyton Manor/Capworth Street School
175 Lord Clyde. Flats in old pub dating from the 1860s
Cambrian Gardens. ‘Pocket park’ on the corner of Cambrian Street
St. Marks Court. Four storey flats part of the Beaumont Estate
Osbourne Court. Flats. Part of the Beaumont Estate
Capworth Street Board School. Opened in 1896. It was reorganized in 1932 and in 1948 it became a secondary (modern) school for girls, which was renamed as Leyton Manor in 1957.  Built in 1909 by Frere and described as "delicate and original". 
All Saints Church.  The original church was built in 1864 by W. Wigginton as a chapel of ease to St. Mary's on a site given by Edward Warner. It was brick, and in 1886 became a parish church for a new parish. In 1883 a Sunday school for 600 children was opened beside the church. The church was replaced in 1973 with a new church by Laurence King & Partners. It is triangular in section with an interior incorporating stained glass from the old church. 
Manor House.  This may have been built by Anthony AndrĂ© about 1758 to replace an older property.  John Pardoe bought it in 1763 and in 1783 bought part of the manor. The house was on the side of the street with grounds stretching back to Lea Bridge Road. It was in brick and square in front with bow windows at the back. It became Leyton manor-house in 1783. The Pardoes continued to live there but it was burnt down in 1884.
Forest House. Lea Hall in was in 1626, and occupied by Sir Richard Hopkins and later by the Quaker Joseph Hunton, who was hanged for forgery in 1828. It later became a girls’ school and was a branch of the county lunatic asylum in 1894 shortly before it was pulled down.  Do not know the exact site

Carlisle Road
Laid out in 1853 by Freehold Land Society first modern development in Leyton
Laundry there in the 1950s on the corner of Shaftesbury Street

Church Road
190 Willow Brook Primary Schools.  Church Road Board opened in 1877 and enlarged in 1891.  In 1913 new buildings were opened for the girls and infants. There is an attached teacher's house. The building has rustic porches and tiled lettering. It is thought it may have been partly funded by the railway as compensation for loss of Lammas Land.
Leyton House. This was here until about 1910. An earlier Leyton House here may have been the home of Sir Thomas More. It was built about 1706 by David Gansel as a red-brick building with a front of seven bays and two flanking stable blocks.  In the late 18th it was the home of Joseph Cotton., of Trinity House, East India Co. and the Royal Society.  It was later a home for parents of William Morris.  It went into institutional use with St Agnes Orphanage -established here in 1874, which was then renamed Park House. By 1882 it was St Agnes Roman Catholic “Poor School”, and orphanage. This closed in 1900 and the site is became part of the London Electric Wire Works. Leyton House was demolished in 1912. Some portions of the brick wall which surrounded may remain
The London Electric Wire Co. Ltd., this was established a year earlier in 1899, and occupied land south of Leyton House. In 1912 it merged around 1912 with Thomas Smith's wire works and became known as the London Electric Wire Co. & Smith's Ltd. In 1921, the company manufacturing electric cables, wire, and flex and By the 1960s it was Leyton‘s largest employer, and said to be the largest manufacturer of insulated wire in Europe. In 1959 it became part of AEI.
Bowling Green Tavern. This was next to Leyton House and its gateway was said to come Leyton Grange
Church Road Industrial Estate. This is mainly on the site of the Electric Wire works.
201 Antelope. Pub dating from the 1880s.
210 Gateway Business Centre

Clyde Place
New Model Laundry and Magnet Laundry. These laundries stood on either side of the place until at least the 1950s. That on the west side was the larger and not built until the 1920s, that on the east was earlier. They were said not to have been built as laundries.

Dunton Road
31 George Mitchell House. Patten plumbing supplies merchants. Mitchell was a local VC winner
31 Royal British Legion

Farmer Road
George Mitchell School.  The school was originally Farmer Road School which opened in 1903 as an elementary school. In 1948 it became a boys secondary modern and in 1968 comprehensive for 11-14 year-old boys. In 1986, it became co-educational. In 1957, the school was renamed for George Mitchell who had attended the school and won the Victoria Cross in the Second World War. A previous ex-scholar who had won the VC was Jack Cornwell.  In 2009 it became an 'all through school' to take pupils from 3-16 taking in a local primary school and nursery and the school now has five sites.
Union Works

Gloucester Road
Friendship gardens. Garden area at the back of the library

Goldsmiths Road
Leyton Hall, this belonged to the intermarrying and exclusive Christian Brethren who met here from the late 1870s. In 1912 a larger hall was built on the opposite side of the road but this was bombed in the Second World War but was in use until the 1970s. The site now appears to be flats.

Grange Park Road
St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church opened in 1924, but not consecrated until 1930, when debt on the building was cleared. It is a simple brick building
Bible Faith Holiness Church. Church Quarters
Leyton Grange. The house would have been in the area of this road north of the junction with Church Road.  An earlier house here was demolished leaving only an arched gateway. This was a grand house built in the early 18th and passing through a number of wealthy occupants, including those involved with the slave trade. It was sold to the Freehold Land Society for development, as the earliest of the local estates to be disposed of in the early 1860s.

Grange Road
Laid out in 1853 by Freehold land society first modern development in Leyton
55 Hollybush. This 19th pub is now housing
Riverley Primary School,  belongs to some sort of ‘Trust’.

High Road
777 Shoelaces Pub. This was previously called The Prince of Wales and dates from the 1870s.
Gate to the main drive to Leyton Grange would have led up a Chestnut tree drive from here situated where the garage is

Kings Close
Russell Court Flats. Part of the Beaumont Estate
Howell Court Flats. Part of the Beaumont Estate
Staton Court Flats. Part of the Beaumont Estate

Lake Road
1 St Thomas Court

Lea Bridge Road
368 corner building which was a showroom for the Leyton Municipal Borough Council Electricity Undertaking in 1934 with the Mellish flats above.
369 Cinema at the corner of Theobald Road. The Markhouse Cinema opened in 1913 with a single floor. In 1936, it was re-named Regal Cinema, it was independently operated, and closed in 1942. It later became a clothing factory, and in the late 1960’s, the decorative front of the building was demolished and it became a car repair workshop. A modern frontage was later added and it remains in retail use.
380 Lea Lodge East. Hostel accommodation
382 Carnegie Library. Built 1906 By W Jacques in Red brick, with the original tiled staircase still in place. Plaque with councilors, etc names
439 – 451 Jamia Mosque. The site was originally a furniture, cabinet and chair, factory belonging to S. Hille, and later a denim jeans factory, and became a mosque, registered for marriages from 1977. It was refronted in the 1990s with glazed brick of two colours, Pointed arches, a small minaret at either end
479 Grey Green Coaches garage. They acquired this from Classique Coaches, which closed in 1976. 
481 Aspray House. Care Home. The site had had a number of previous uses but including ones as a petrol station and as a motor coach operator.
562-584 Diamond Ladder factory. This is owned by the Clow group – a company founded in Glasgow originally in the early 20th.  Diamond Ladders have been here since at least the 1920s.
543-586  Ibis Hotel with a public clock on it the side. This site had been a machine tool factory and metal works of Chappell & Son.  The site was then known as Midland Metal Wharves and ran alongside the railway. It appears to later have been the Sleeping Beauty Motel.
Park Road
Laid out in 1853 by Freehold Land Society first modern development in Leyton

Skeltons Lane
Beaumont House. Flats. Part of the Beaumont Estate
Beaumont Primary School. This is now part of the George Mitchell School.
Mural on the boundary wall of the playground of Beaumont Primary School. It an underwater view of tropical fish and plants
Skeltons Lane Park and Brooks Farm
Vicarage Road
The road follows the line of an avenue of trees on in the grounds of Leyton Grange
91/93 until the 1930s two trees from a ring of trees from the grounds of Leyton Grange still stood here.
150 St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Primary School.  St. Joseph's originated with St. Agnes Roman Catholic 'poor school' which had been established in 1874 at Leyton House. By the 1880s that was both a local school and an orphanage. St. Joseph's school was opened in Vicarage Road in 1900, and the orphanage closed. It was reorganized for juniors and infants in 1948. The school was bombed in the Second World War.
174 Calvary Charismatic Baptist Church. The church was opened in 1875 on a site given by a E. J. Farley, a Baptist clergyman, alarmed at the 'spiritual destitution' of the neighbourhood.  It was extended and mission halls were built. The building was damaged by Second World War bombing. The Calvary Charismatic Baptist Church was established in locally 1994 in East London under the leadership of Rev. Francis Sapong.  It is a member of the Baptist Union
192 Davis Centre. In 1922 E. J. Davis left to the local education authority a freehold house and grounds, called Broomhill as the Davis home craft institute and Practical domestic courses for girls from local schools started in 1923. The building has been used more recently as the Waltham Forest Pupil Referral Unit and currently is the nursery department of the George Mitchell School


Sources
Beaumont Road. Wikipedia. Web site
British History. On line. Waltham Forest.  Web site
Closed Pubs. Web site
George Mitchell School. Web site.
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Leyton’s Free Art and History. Web site
Leyton History Society. Web site
London Borough of Waltham Forest. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex,
Victoria County History. Essex,
Walford. Village London

2 comments:

Gillian Lawrence said...

Shoelaces pub is now Peppers Ghost pub

Anonymous said...

The George Mitchell old building in Farmer Road was demolished in 2016.