The Misbourne flows southwards
Post to the north Harewood Downs
Post to the south Chalfont St.Giles
Burnt Mounds. Worked flint and burnt mounds were found in fields near Misbourne Farm. Such mounds are usually Bronze Age and are heaps of heated stones timber-lined troughs
Roman Villa – there are indications of a Roman villa near Misbourne Farm
Bycroft Plantation. Planted broad leaved trees.
Misbourne House. This big house was said to have once had exceptional gardens. It is now let into individual units.
Milestone. Dated 1750 on one side but turned and recut in the 19th. It is also Inscribed, "XX1V Miles from London, 1750" and "London 23, Chalfont Parish".
Chalfont Mill. This is probably a Domesday mill belonging to the Manor of Chalfont St. Giles. There is mention of a mill in 1247, which was in ruins by 1349. In 1814 when it was owned by George Palliser as lord of the Manor and it was a corn watermill in 1825. A 16th cottage adjoined the brick mill plus a 17th barn and the mill house from the 16th in the centre. All machinery had gone by 1980 but there was a turbine housing and some internal fixtures remaining earlier. By 1887 both steam and water power were being used when it ceased work.
Field north of the mill building was flooded by James Gurney by diverting water from the Misbourne to make a lake. In 1893 he was sued by a number of people downstream for loss of water and had to reinstate the land. There are still banks around this meadow and the remains of a pumping station.
Stratton Chase Drive
The name for this comes from estate developer James Gurney’s wife’s maiden name. The estate was developed in the 1890s but Gurney was bankrupt before it was finished.
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Buckinghamshire County Council. Web site
Chalfont History. Web site
English Heritage Web site.