The Colne flows westwards and meets the Gade and the Grand Union Canal coming from the north east. It also meets part of the Chess coming from the north west.
Area of open space and woodland along the canal and the river. Leisure fishing in old gravel extraction sites along with an ancient tythe barn and an open air theatre of the 1840s
Post to the east Tolpits
Post to the west Rickmansworth
Post to the north Croxley
All Saints Lane
This is possibly an ancient roadway going to Croxley Hall but cut off by railway building.
Croxley Common Moor
Croxley Common Moor is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and a Local Nature Reserve on the flood plain of the River Gade. Its character is the result of centuries of livestock grazed by commoners which prevented trees and scrub growth. It is securely fenced so cattle can roam the site and about 30 cows graze here in the summer. The remaining scattered scrub creates a habitat for birds and warmer conditions for insects and grass snakes. Woodland development has begun around the perimeter of the Moor. Rare animals and birds are recorded here as well as diverse grassland plant species and rare invertebrates. There are numerous ant hills indicative of the undisturbed nature of the grassland.
Croxley Hall Wood
Croxleyhall Woods is ancient woodland owned by Three Rivers District Council
Grand Union Canal
Lot Mead Railway Bridge
Lot Mead Lock
Junction with the River Colne
Lakes Footbridge – this is on an old railway bridge on the footpath now called the Ebury Way which is on the line of the Watford and Rickmansworth Railway.
Junction with the River Gade
Housing on the site of the Imperial Machine Company works. The original company was founded in 1906 by Harold Beckett. They make a range commercial food preparation and other equipment and are now based in Wrexham. The buildings were erected during the Second World War in a gravel pit and later became a
Croxley Hall Farm. The farm has been owned by the Samson family since the 19th. Farm House from the 16th rebuilt in the 19th. It has some timber framing with red brick. It was probably once a hall with a parlour wing. Barn from the 17th with timber frame on a brick base and weather boarded. Granary from the 19th with a weather boarded timber frame and cast iron steddles. Steddle barn from the 19th with a timber frame, weather boarded on cast-iron steddles.
Watercress processing buildings remained on site and were extant in 2008. These were in timber and brick including a washing shed, seed shed and packing shed in use until the late 1980s
Tithe barn. This was probably built 1396-1401 for the Abbey of St. Albans during abbacy of John Moote. It was restored in 1975. It has a timber frame on flint, clunch and brick base walls. It is weather boarded. It is within the playing fields of Joan of Arc school which stands to the west of here.
Croxley Hall Farm fishery. Croxley Hall Carp Syndicate was formed in 2001 and fish carp fishing on Croxley Lake, a ten acre gravel pit dug over thirty five years ago with its original mirror carp. They also fish over eight lakes and a mile of river.
Croxleywood House - this is a detached house deep in the woods built in 1904 for a director of Metropolitan
Railway. It stands in an acre of ground in which is an original 1904 pump house. After the Second World War it was Martha's School and then Croxleywood
House Theatre specialising in Greek and Roman drama.
Woodley House. Coach house coverted to housing
Long Valley Wood
Palaeolithic and Iron Age remains found here during gravel extraction
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Croxley Common Moor. Web site
Croxley Great Barn. Web site
Croxley Green Parish Council. Web site
Find me Fishing. Web site.
IMC Ltd. Web site
Wessex Archaeology. Web site
Whitelaw. Hidden Hertfordshire