Misbourne flows south eastwards
SU 98897 93399
Central area of posh village
Post to the west Chalfont St.Giles
Post to the south Bowstride
Cottage. 17th house with timber framing and painted brick.
Dragon, and shop premises. This is a 16th house, with many later
alterations, which is now two shops. It has a timber frame with plastered
wattle and daub infill.
House. 17th timber-framed house with 18th brick front
Galleries. 19th house and shop
House. 17th house
box. K6 type
Gate Cottage. 16th timber
Westminster Bank, previously National Provincial
Bank. 18th brick house with the original wrought iron gateway
Houses. This was originally three 17th charity cottages
Rest. 16th timber-framed house
of Births, Marriages and Deaths. 17th timber-framed converted to an infants'
school and in the 19th became a Reading
Room. War memorial on the front.
Feathers Pub and shop. 17th timber-framed house subdivided 17th
brick chimney stack
and Staceys Cottage. 17th timber-framed building
Cottage and Wellington Cottage. 17th house, now subdivided originally timber
Olde Shoppe. 16th house, with 18th street front
Crown Pub. In Dads Army this was Mr.
Merlin’s Cave. The name was first applied to a cave in the orchard at the back
This is a ‘community’ library run by volunteers
was the turnpike road
Pheasant Pub. 16th pub with 19th front and timber-framed back.
It is now a veterinary surgery
Stone. House of 1810, including the remains of a 17th house.
Giles Church. This has Norman foundations and walls
built in flint and clunch. It is one of a number of churches in the area dedicated
to the patron saint of cripples. The first rector is recorded in 1185.The
chancel is 13th and much of the rest 14th and 25th.
The church was restored in 1861. There is a battlemented tower and built in the
15th replacing a Norman tower. Inside are 14th and 15th
wall paintings. Black and white architectural painting from 15th. A window is said to have shattered by
Cromwellians in the Civil War Battle of Aylesbury and there were Cannon balls in the roof. There are monuments
to the Fleetwood family who lived at The Vache including Col George Fleetwood
who signed Charles I’s death warrant. there
is a wall tablet in memory of Admiral Sir Hugh Palliser the friend and patron
of Captain Cook – Cook named Cape Palliser and Palliser Bay on North lsland,
New Zealand, for him,
War Memorial a simple cross on a circular column, with an octagonal plinth. There
are 54 names the Great War 34 names for the Second World War.
British History on Line. Chalfont St. Giles. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
St.Giles Church Web site
Pheasant Veterinary Surgery. Web site