The Misbourne flows south eastwards
TQ 04433 86815
Attractive village centre in upmarket area
Post to the north Denham
Post to the east Denham Lock
Post to the south Denham Roundabout
Formerly called Back Lane and Love Lane
Hancock’s Mead. This was water-meadow between here and the Misbourne. Medieval remains include extensive earthworks and a channel from the Misbourne to a pond. The earthworks seem to be a curved pattern of channels, natural or dug out in a sequence of ponds. A Bronze Age sword was recovered from one of the man-made channels
Denham Court Drive
Denham Court. This is an 18th manor house but there has been a settlement here since the Saxons and a moated house was here since the 14th, however polished Neolithic axes have been recovered from the mill stream. It had a number of owners though the Middle Ages including Eleanor, wife of Edward II. The manor later passed to Westminster Abbey and at the dissolution of the monasteries was sold to Edmund Peckham but under Elizabeth became a refuge for Jesuits and was again confiscated by the Crown. Charles II is said to have hidden here during the Civil War and after the Restoration the house was enlarged. Dryden, the poet, was a visitor. Owned by the Bowyer family it only ceased to be a family home in 1935. It was later part of a farm and the house and gardens became neglected. It is now a golf clubhouse and is owned by Asahi Breweries Ltd of Japan. It is an 18th country house in brown brick.
Bridge to the entrance court. This is over a canalised stream and is 18th altered in 19th.
Denham Country Park. This is a public park and Local Nature Reserve in Buckinghamshire and the London Borough of Hillingdon. It is part of the Colne Valley Regional Park, and the Colne Valley Park Visitor Centre and cafe is there. The Colne and Misbourne rivers pass through the park and the Grand Union Canal forms its eastern boundary.
Priory Covert. This woodland is now part of the Country Park
Old Mill Road
Denham County Junior School. This opened in 1928 as a Secondary school and remained as such until 1956. It then became a Junior School. It had three main buildings and closed in 1980.
Holy Name Catholic Church. Built on the site of Andrews Farm. It is part of St.Joseph's Parish of Discalced Carmelites
Denham Court Farm. The farmhouse is 17th in red brick. Granary. Stables. One barn is 17th timber on a brick base, the other is 9 bays, 18th and weather boarded and 18th weather boarded outbuildings. This is now a wedding venue.
Wellers Mead. 20th century addition within the Town Mill complex
St Mary the Virgin. The church is basically 15th but the west, unbuttressed tower is thought to have been built 1100 – 1120. It was ‘restored’ by George Street 1861-2. The octagonal clock face dates from 1740 but has been repainted and the original clock was the gift of Hester Probert, daughter of Roger Hill, of Denham Place. Inside is a 500-year-old wall painting of Judgment Day with an archangel sounding the Last Trump. The font is 13th and, the church's oldest possession. There are many brasses including a palimpsest brass to a Dame Agnes Jordon, last Abbess of Syon, 1544.
Vestry. Designed by Martin Baker of the ejector seat.
Churchyard. This is surrounded by limes, beeches and cypress trees. Graves and monuments include a memorial on the grave of the Marshall family murdered in Cheapside Lane in 1870.
War Memorial. This was designed by Anthony Bacon and erected in 1919, it is said to be one of the earliest in the country. The inscription gives names and says: “This monument is erected by the inhabitants of Denham to the eternal memory of their glorious dead who gave their lives for King and Country in the Great War 1914 – 18”
The White House. A large gentleman’s residence with 18th origins, but extended. It is in spacious landscape grounds next to the river
The Priory. This was built in 1789 as the village poorhouse
Baconsmead. Four pairs of houses, designed by Anthony Bacon in 1940
British Listed Buildings. Web sit
Buckinghamshire County Council. Web site
Buckinghamshire Golf Club. Web site
Colne Valley Regional Park. Web site
Denham Court Farm. Web site
Denham. Wikipedia Web site
Friends Reunited. Web site.
London Transport. Country Walks
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
South Buckinghamshire Council. Web site
Walford. Village London