Colne flows south westwards
Post to the north Watford Stadium
Post to the west Brightwells
Hall Community Association Hall and Sports Centre. Established 1940.
Hall – Ebury Children’s Centre and a number of local clubs.
Cricket Club, It is believed that the Club was formed before 1864.
The home ground is owned by Veolia Water Company and was created in the 1940s and
owned by the Colne Valley Water Company. There is a bowling green, two hard
court tennis courts, and a pavilion
Hall. 16th house extended in the 17th and remodelled in 1870.
It has a Timber frame with stock brick casing. The house is on a moated site. Barn
– 17th or early 18th with a timber frame, and weather boarded.
Pumping Station. The Colne Valley Water Company built the Pumping Station in
1873. It is thought that the last beam type pumping engine was installed here
in 1919 from John Taylor and Sons which worked until 1954. In 1956 the station
switched to diesel power,
In 1931 the Colne Valley Water Company opened a narrow gauge railway connecting
the Eastbury pumping station with the London North West Railway line from Rickmansworth.
A 2.0' narrow gauge line ran southeast from a private siding on the railway to
a yard at the pumping station. It handled coal and salt, used for the water
softening plant. The line closed in 1967 and the two locomotives were purchased
by the Amberley Chalk Pits Museum
the public footpath to and from Hamper Mill is a footbridge over what was the narrow
gauge railway to Eastbury Pumping station. . It came from the ‘Never Stop
Railway’ at the Wembley Exhibition, 1925.
– the narrow gauge railway crossed the River Colne on a plate girder bridge.
Rookery Silk Mill built in 1770 by Thomas Deacon. It was on the Colne, and a
set of sluices controlled the flow of water into the works. In the late 18th,
the mill employed 100 people. It closed in 1881. Watford
Steam Laundry & Dye Works, were in the buildings by 1898. The buildings
were later converted into a piano factory and in the 1970s workshops and
offices for engineers and joiners
Ancient Monuments. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Bushey Cricket Club. Web site
Happy Hour. Web site
Roberts. Chelsea to Cairo
Three Rivers District Council. Web site
West Watford History Group. Web site
Whitelaw. Hidden Hertfordshire