Colne flows south westwards
Post to the north Munden Estate
Post to the west Meriden Estate
to Wall Hall. This has a weather boarded clock tower and has now been converted
to posh housing.
Head. This is 17th or earlier, and was put here for J.P.Morgan in the 20th. It
is probably Spanish and is a stone hollow bowl with relief carvings on the
outside. There are 6 arches on twisted columns
with scenes of animals
Hall Home Farm, with a brick-built, two-storey
farmhouse, and former farmyard.
Built about 1800 with a timber frame and weather boarded. It stands on 28 steddle stones.
Wall Hall Drive
whole place was turned into a ‘virtual hamlet’ by Octagon from 2004, and it the
area is infilled with posh private housing
was originally a medieval farm which by the 18th had become a house called Wars Hall, owned by Thomas Neate. In
1799 it was sold to George Thelluson. From an 18th core the house was greatly
enlarged in 1802 for him. The resulting building is brick with cement render
and 'picturesque gothic' - all crenulations and turrets. It was renamed as
Aldenham Abbey by the next owner, Admiral Pole, who also added some of the
follies... The house was later extended in 1830 for W.Stuart and in the early 20th
for J.P.Morgan and then purchased by the local authority in 1942. During the
Second World War it became the residence of the U.S. Ambassador, Joseph Kennedy.
In 1945 it became the first Emergency
Training College for Women Teachers and then Wall Hall Teachers Training
College. After the amalgamation with Balls Park and the closure of Hockerill
College it became Hertfordshire College of Higher Education. Buildings were
added by the R.L.Pyne for the County Architect's Department including a library
in 1970 by A. J. Janes which
linked to the house by the front of a gothic conservatory. Eventually
it became the School of Education and Humanities of Hatfield
Polytechnic, later University of Hertfordshire. In 2003 the University vacated the site completely.
Grounds. In 1801 the Aldenham enclosure act was passed, and Thelluson
closed several roads and built new ones. In 1802 Humphrey Repton made suggestions
for improving the landscape. The open north lawn was flanked by mature
trees, including cedars of Lebanon. The north edge marked by a line of stones
and beyond slope to an artificial cut of the Colne broadened to form a lake where
there was later a boathouse.
A university building, now private housing, south-east of the Hall
divides the east lawn
Italian Garden built east of the east lawn and enclosed by
clipped yew hedges. A brick and timber loggia was at the centre of the south side.
At the centre of the garden is a pond,. J P Morgan created the Italian Garden,
in the early 20th
The park, 20th university accommodation is bounded by a belt
of woodland. Part is used as a golf course. The site of a former sunk boundary fence
was visible as a ditch.
Kitchen garden - this area was lies occupied by university
buildings but Sections of the 18th brick boundary wall survive plus a lean-to
glasshouse against a further stretch of wall.
Orchard which retained some orchard trees but largely used for sports
pitches. This was once called Garden Field
Ruin. This dates from 1800 and was built for Thelluson. It is in brick and
cement rendered. The traceried window has mouldings taken from the Church of
St. John the Baptist
Built 1800 for Thelluson. It is brick and cement rendered. It is a tall wall
with a pointed arch gateway and a large turret
Air Theatre. This was built in the 20th in what had been a substantial chalk pit was incorporated in
the pleasure grounds. The quarry rim was planted with yew and the edges
planted with mature trees, including yews, with the theatre at the bottom. This
seems know to be disused.
built ahout.1800 in brick which was covered with earth to form a mound. There are
the remains of an iron crane at the entrance.
British Listed Buildings. Web site.
English Heritage. Web site
Meulenkamp and Wheatley. Follies
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex,
Parks and Gardens. Web site
Whitelaw. Hidden Hertfordshire