The Colne flows south and divides in two, and
Post to the east Watford Lower High Street
Post to the south Oxhey
At one time called Pest House Lane,
Sewage works and pumping station. The sewage pumping
station was initially at the end of what is now Cardiff Road, and dates from
before 1870. A sewage works was built
later further to the west.
Cardiff Road Power Station. Watford Council were granted an Electric
Lighting Order in 1897 for the supply of e1cctrical energy, and two years later
works were erected and cables laid. The power station was built in the early
1900s and operated by the Watford Corporation Electricity Department until
nationalisation. It was by the railway and there was a rail siding into the
site. It appears to have been a large gothic building with six chimneys. It was later converted to oil firing. Eastern
Electricity Board had a maintenance depot and workshop on the site after the
power station itself was demolished. In 1970 the Central Electricity Generating
Board built a gas-turbine peak-load
plant of 150 MW here
A refuse destructor was erected in 1904 and demolished in 1947.
The name for this area west of the main part of
Watford. Butts may refer to an archery practise area.
10 Warehouse complex behind
Watford Junction to
Rickmansworth. In 1862 a single line railway, later doubled, was opened by the
Watford & Rickmansworth Railway. It ran electric trains from 1927 but
closed to passengers in 1952 although freight continued until 1967. The line
follows the Colne Valley an crossed the Colne three times and some of this area
is mow a local park
Croxley Green Branch. Under its New Lines Act, the London North West Railway built a short
branch to Croxley Green from the line to Rickmansworth – from Croxley Green
Junction. It opened in 1912 and was electrified in 1922. In 1988 it was called
the Harlequin Line Services were reduced gradually and withdrawn in 1996 and
closed in 2003
Croxley Green Sheds Carriage
sheds built for the London & North-Western Railway in 1914/15 to house
electric trains, some Bakerloo stick. It was demolished in 1987. They were used
for stabling rail stock and carrying out minor maintenance for the London North
Western Railway 1915-23, London, Midland & Scottish Railway 1923-1948 and
British Rail 1948-1987.
The Riverside Road
Community Park in Watford was opened in November 2001, completing the eastern
end of the Ebury Way rail line. The park has a skate park and a children’s
Watford South Sub station
St. James Road
Baptist Church. St James Road Baptist Church began
in a private house in 1902. Mr & Mrs Bareham donated the site for the
original building on the corner of St James Road and Farraline Road. The first
baptismal service took place in 1904. An organ was acquired in 1906 and gas
lighting was installed in 1907. In 1951 was agreed in principle to rebuild. A
house for use as a manse became available at no 21 St James Road, which had an
adjacent plot of orchard land. A new structure was built here and the building
remaining in use as a Hall. Work was needed to be done on the old church
building and it was demolished. The new building was officially opened in 1966 and
the 1955 building then reverted to use as a Church Hall.
Baptist Church Hall. This is the second church now
This was originally named
as part of Hagden Lane
45-47 cottage hospital building. This is thought to
be Watford’s first hospital, financed
by public subscription, designed Charles Ayres and opened in 1886 by Lady
Clarendon. It has been used for a variety of medical uses, including as a
geriatric hospital and Day Centre. It is now offices. Memorial tablets commemorate
the opening by Lady Clarendon and later by Adeline, Duchess of Bedford. Others commemorate
the Diamond Jubilee and the coronation of the king in 1901.
58 Watford Printers. Established in 1921, and is a Workers
Co-partnership Society. They are in what was Colney Butts House, and partly designed by William H.
Syme. Colney Butts House was part of a farm in the 18th, and extended
during the 19th. In 1910 it was bought as a home by Syme, who added a
single storey extension in 1911. He sold it to the Watford Printers in 1924 and
they added to it in the 1930s.
105 Red Lion. Pub with a brick stable block on a linear plot alongside the road. It was
designed in the 1890s for Benskin's by Charles P Ayres but a pub here dates
back to at least 1751. Now called the Yellow and Red Lion
Watford Stadium. This has
been used by Watford Football club since 1922, when the club moved here from elsewhere.
The ground was opened by Col. Charles Healey of Benskins Brewery. It is also
used by Wealdstone Football Club and Saracens Rugby Club.
The Vicarage Road Stand.
This was built in 1993 and was previously an open terrace on an earth bank. It
was paid for by selling a football player.
The Rookery Stand. This was
built in 1995 and is used fir administration and a shop. The area was
originally a roofed over cinder bank and this was concreted in 1959; the new
stand includes housing on an adjacent site.
The Rous Stand. Built in
1986 this is alongside the pitch and is used for executive boxes and a TV
camera gantry. It replaced the Shrodells
Stand which itself replaced an earlier Union Stand brought here from an earlier
The Main Stand. This
includes changing rooms, director's box and press area and is part of the original
stadium built in 1922,
60 Watford Union workhouse. The Watford Union
workhouse was built in 1836-7. It was designed by T.L. Evans and opened in
1838. Its buildings were built of brick,
and were mainly two storeys high. The former workhouse buildings now contain
various hospital departments.
119a West Watford Christian fellowship church. Founded
in the 1890s
Sycamore House, This is the administration building
of the workhouse and still in use by the Hospital. Courtyard buildings in front
of it were demolished in 1950.
Workhouse chapel. Renamed St Barnabas' chapel under
the NHS. Its organ, built by Thomas S. Jones & Son, was moved to All
Saints' Church, South Oxhey.
60 Watford General Hospital. In 1929 Poor Law Unions
were abolished and workhouses came under the control of the local authorities. Watford
Borough Council renamed their workhouse as the Shrodells Public Assistance
Institution -'Shrodells' apparently means ‘shrubberies’. In the Second World
War it became part of the Emergency Medical Scheme as an Advanced Base for
University College Hospital and Charing Cross Hospital. It joined the NHS in 1948 as Shrodell's
Hospital with 464 general beds. In 1965 it
became the Watford General Hospital merging officially with the Watford and
District Peace Memorial Hospital as Shrodells Wing. It became a geriatric hospital.
In 1972 the Shrodells Psychiatric Unit was established.
Nurses' Home built in 1983 by Willow Lane. Built in a U-shaped building and linked to existing
Princess Michael of Kent Wing opened in the 1980s, for
the Out-Patients Department, and Accident and Emergency Department,
Acute Admissions Unit. Opened in 2010. Believed to
be the largest such unit in the country, and includes beds for emergency
admissions, laboratories, a pharmacy and an Imaging Department for X-ray,
Lodge at the Hospital entrance
Dermatology Centre and Medical Education Centre are
housed in the infirmary block of the workhouse.
Harwood’s Recreation Ground. With a new adventure
Cemetery. Opened in 1858. Chapel in the 14th style built when time the Cemetery opened in 1858. Originally
this was the Anglican chapel with another for non-conformists.
War Memorial. This is in
the cemetery erected by the Imperial War Graves Commission. To the memory of
servicemen who died during the Great War. It was unveiled at a civic ceremony in
1929. It is stone with a large cross on a stepped plinth. On the front is a bronze
sword. and an Inscription ‘THIS CROSS OF SACRIFICE IS ONE IN DESIGN AND
INTENTION WITH THOSE WHICH HAVE BEEN SET UP IN FRANCE AND BELGIUM AND OTHER
PLACES THROUGHOUT THE WORLD WHERE OUR DEAD OF THE GREAT WAR ARE LAID TO REST THEIR
NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE’.
West Watford and Oxhey Garden and Allotment Society.
The allotment site is Holywell once much bigger and in in
1900 extended across the road to Rose Gardens and Laurence Haines School are
Laurence Haines School. Primary School opened in
Watford Stadium Station. Opened in 1982 by Elton John.
Funded by the Football Trust, Watford Football Club and Watford Borough Council
to try and ease congestion at football match times. Used only when the club
were playing at home and including footpaths to take crowds away from residential
areas. It had a single concrete platform and no shelters. It was closed when
the line closed in the 1990s but remains in place although overgrown.
Electric sub station
Holywell Farm. The site is now housing
Abattoir replaced Holywell Farm before the current housing
On the line of Pest House Lane
Pest House. Ruins of the old Pest House said to be
in the corner of the allotment site. It was in bad repair in 1754 and
demolished in 1914
Lane allotment. Given up in the 80's
Terrace allotments. The second oldest site in Watford,
set up in 1896
Bygone Lines of the LNWR. Web site
Diamond Geezer. Web site
Disused Stations. Web site
Hertfordshire County Council. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
St.James Road Baptist church. Web site
The Workhouse. Web site
Three River District Council. Web site
Watford Council, web site
Watford Printers Web site
Watford Stadium. Wikipedia. Web site
West Watford Christian Fellowship Church. Web site
West Watford History Group. Web site