The Colne flows south westwards
and then turns abruptly west
TQ 09214 94232
Open area to the south of Watford with old gravel extraction sites along the Colne and a large private school.
Post to the east Oxhey
Post to the south Hampermill
Post to the west Tolpits
Brightwells Farm. The site is referred
to from the Middle Ages and was the name of a manor. It is thought that there
was a hamlet or village associated with the site. It has also been known as
Community Centre. Run by Watford
King George V Playing Fields
site until the 1960s.
This is a private school for boys,
originally located in the City. Since 1933 it has been at Sandy Lodge. It was founded
in 1561 by Sir Thomas White Sir Richard Hilles, Emanuel Lucar and Stephen Hales.
Holywell Hospital. Watford and District Isolation Hospital. In the late 19th Watford local
authority were offered land by the Earl of Essex for an isolation hospital. It was built to a design
by Charles Ayres ad consisted of four blocks with forty two beds plus other
buildings and a garden, During the Second World War it was used by Canadian
soldiers with Diphtheria. When the NHS was created in 1948 it was renamed the
Holywell Hospital and during the 1950’s was used as a TB hospital. It later became
the Holywell Wing of Watford General Hospital and in 1972 it became the
Geriatric wing. It finally closed in 1982 and was demolished in 1985. In 1988
it was announced that the site would be used for housing
Lost Hospitals of London. Web
Merchant Taylors School. Web site
West Watford History Group. Web
Watford Council. Web site.