Tributary to Dollis Brook - Holders Hill
The tributary flows south and east
Post to the north Holders Hill
Post to the east Finchley Church End
This ancient track way heading north is now a nature conservation area. It has ancient hedgerows, which have become woodland in places with oak and ash trees. A small stream crosses the lane
28-37 42-46 ‘modern’ houses of the 1930s by Cachemaille Day and Lauder
Copthall Stadium. The running track was built in 1964 and hosted the English Schools Championships that year. It was originally just called Copthall Stadium and was first a black cinder tracks, becoming a synthetic track in 1976. The stadium is due to become a major rugby venue and home to Saracens.
72 White House. Stunning ‘modern’ house. Built 1936 by Evelyn Simmons of Simmons & Grellier, with a curved wing and a sunroof
Great North Way
The A1 – an upgraded stretch of road avoiding Finchley in the 1920s.
Hendon Hall Court. Flats in shuttered concrete. By Owen Luder, 1961-6
Hendon Rugby Club. This was formed in 1932 at a meeting at the Chequers Inn. Pitches were rented Copthall and in 1955 a clubhouse was built.
Holders Hill Road
Hendon Park Cemetery. This was opened by the Abney Park Co., in the early 1890s; using land from Dollis Farm and the company's name is shown on the gatehouse. . Their original cemetery is in Stoke Newington. In the centre of the cemetery is a chapel in chipped flint designed by Alfred A Bonella said to be 'inspired by old Hertfordshire churches'. Inside the chapel is a terracotta facsimile of Della Robbia's Resurrection. The tributary stream passes through the cemetery and has several bridges over it. There are plots for various national groups, including a traditional Japanese garden with firs and Cherry trees. There is a Greek area developed after the West Norwood Greek Cemetery was full. The cemetery entrance is a ‘Tudor’ stile gatehouse designed by Alfred A. Bonella. The Crematorium was added in 1922, adjoining the chapel. There were originally thousands of trees but these have been reduced. The cemetery was passed to Barnet Council in 1956.
North Hendon Adath Yisroel Synagogue is its own purpose built building adjacent to the Hasmonean School. It is part of the Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congregations. In 1947 the school moved here and it was decided to form a synagogue here using the school hall. A new building was erected in 1965 and has since undertaken a wide range of community activities.
Hasmoanean High School. This is a comprehensive boys' school which moved to Holders Hill House from Golders Green in 1947. The school was set up in 1944 as Hasmonean Grammar School. Many Jews had reached Great Britain from different parts of Nazi occupied Europe, and there was a need for a school with an Orthodox Jewish environment. The boys’ school became a voluntary aided Local Authority School in 1957. There is a separate girls' school in Mill Hill.
Holders Hill House. A house was built before 1796 on Great Boggy Meadow. In 1811 a Gothic Cottage designed by Robert Lugar stood here which was demolished and replaced in the 1870s by Holders Hill House built by C F Hancock. It was used by Ravensfield School 1930-1945
Manor Hall Avenue,
Obelisk to Shakespeare, which came from Garrick’s house at Hendon Hall was here until 1957.
Ashley Lane web site, Wikipedia
British History Hendon web site
Headley and Meulenkamp. Follies
London Gardens Online website
North Hendon Adath Yisroel web site
Petrie. Hendon and Golders Green Past
Pevsner and Cherry. London North