Brook flows north west
Area built up in the early 20th with quality housing - but the North Circular cuts through the area making it less desirable than it could be for a home.
Post to the south Hampstead Garden Suburb
Post to the west Henley's Corner
Addison was Minister for Reconstruction under Lloyd George.
brutally turned into Falloden Way as part of the construction of the Barnet by
Low groups of flats with outer staircases. Designed By
Parker and Unwin in 1911. The block
facing Hogarth Hill is more flamboyant and said to be the most integrated area
of the Suburb in terms of housing design and spatial planning. Blocks with
towers define the limits of the enclosure,
Basing owned the area from 1248 and was a Lord Mayor. Local authority housing.
Briar Lane - This may have
originally been called Philipe Lane, but it was generally known as Green Lane.
roughcast style. Middle-class private houses by Sutcliffe
was Welch in a design of long cottage fronts, half-timbered parts and linking
cottages and work by Sutcliffe
Road. Preserves the old name ‘East End’, now ‘East Finchley’. The road led from
the old hamlet of East Finchley to Finchley village.
Manor Farm. This was on the north side of the road north of
the North Circular and part of Bibesworth Manor, it was also called Normans.
Used by Sanger Circus to provide fodder for animals. In the 1880s it was owned
by west end store owner William Whitley. Land adjacent to the road was later
used by Deard’s rubbish transfer business. It was bought by the Council and
demolished in 1956
49 Middlesex Cricket Club Academy. On the site of Manor Farm.
The club had acquired 20 acres here for playing fields in 1938. In 1956 they
moved the county cricket school from Alexandra Palace to a new building here.
LA Fitness – gym on part of the MCC site
Finchley Cricket Club, founded 1832. It merged with Finchley
Amateurs and Whetstone or Woodside club in 1872 and later others. It had acquired
the pitch at East End Road by 1908.
Cottage Tavern. This was adjacent to the North Circular and rebuilt in 1934. It
has since been demolished.
This is a boys' school with a mixed sixth form. It
its roots in two different schools: Chapel Street School, later Alder School
and Finchley Hall School, later Christ’s College. Alder School was a technical secondary school
which merged with Christ’s College in 1978. Christ’s College had opened in
Hendon and in 1902 became the first Middlesex County grammar school. The school
moved to a new site in 1991,
Cemetery. Founded in 1854 by St.Marylebone Parish in need of extra burial space.
Notoriously this was sold in 1987 after long neglect by the City of
Westminster. The rag stone buildings by Barnett & Birch were eventually restored
in 1994-6. There is a railed approach with a Gothic Lodge and Gothic Anglican
chapel plus a Dissenters' chapel by Edwin Cooper.
It has many ambitious Monuments which include Peter Russell by Bertram
Mackennal as a bronze group with a workman; Glenesk Mausoleum, etc
Crematorium by Ewin Cooper built 1937. The chimney has a
receding octagonal top and there is a dignified brick interior
Aston. Dates from 1920,
designed by Lutyens in pairs.
for war widows of 1916 designed by Soutar in a cottage- style.
Part of the
A1 road this was originally part of Addison Way. Building of the
Hampstead Garden Suburb had continued here with flats and
cottages, but in 1927 it was brutally transformed into part of Falloden Way. - the
diverted Al. This runs west before turning northwest and converging with the North Circular.
It Way was built from 1914 as part of a programme of planned extensions the
suburb and runs on an embankment due to a dip in the ground caused by the
valley of Mutton Brook which runs parallel and south of the road. The southern side is occupied by a strip of
parkland which follows Mutton Brook. This is a notoriously dangerous stretch of
road where buses are often forced to turn sharply out of the stops into fast
Infant and Junior schools
Houses designed by Parker and Unwin
with sub trap windows by Crickmer
Site of an open-air theatre
built in 1920. It is part of a nature reserve, along with Big Wood and owned
and managed by London Borough of Barnet. In the early 1900s it was part of the
fields of Park Farm and used by Lord George Sanger for grazing circus
1922 as a neighbourhood shopping area for Hampstead Garden Suburb but overtaken
by the development of Falloden Way and has become a standard north London
Sutcliffe built in plain roughcast style. Middle-class private houses,
constitutes the southern boundary of Finchley.
by Sutcliffe. The houses are plain and those in red brick have a neo-Victorian
flavour different from the earlier Suburb
Wikipedia web site
College. Wikipedia Web site
Face of London
Finchley and Whetstone Past
Hampstead Garden Suburb