The Stonebridge Brook flows east
Hermitage Brook flows north east
Gospel Oak to Barking Railway
The Gospel Oak to Barking Railway runs eastwards from Haringay Green Lanes Station
Post to the west Haringey
Post to the east South Tottenham
Housing by Douglas Stephen and Partners in dull brick, but cleverly planned around a square - Two sides with houses over ground-floor flats; two sides with houses over garages and raised private gardens
The Hermitage Brook crossed this road
St.Ann’s Primary School. This has evolved from what was originally the Hermitage School for Girls and its successors.
1a Fowler Newsam Hall. This was part of the original Hermitage School. This is a 19th brick building with three gables of varying width. A recessed entrance has a pointed arched doorway with a bell tower. It now houses a community counselling project. Fowler Newsom was a city merchant who decided to devote funding to religious and educational use, later supplemented by bequests from his daughter.
St. Ann’s Hall. 20th brick community building
1-5 Model Cottages, built by Fowler Newsam, benefactor of St Ann's Church, Tudor doorways with portraits in relief. The date of 1858 is carved on large stones on the gable. Restored 1989.
82 At a Glance Calendar Co. now closed and site under development for housing. The company was founded by John Frederick Bennet who started production and coined the name ‘AT-A-GLANCE’. Calendars became the main business of the firm and they moved here in 1925.
Stamford Primary School – Built as Stamford Hill Board School. Designed in 1882. by Edward Ellis & Son.
Black Boy Lane
Stonebridge Brook crosses the road at the southern end
Hangars Green – in the 18th this was a small open space linking St Ann’s Road (Hanger Lane) to Black Boy Lane
Chestnuts Primary School. Previously called Woodlands Park Primary School. There are two main buildings built in 1897-1899 to designs by G. E. T. Lawrence. One is in brick with a white painted cupola. The main building is in brick and has central circular dome with a dragon weather vane. The entrances have a plaque above saying ‘BOYS SCHOOL’. There is a playground area with original iron boundary railings on a wall. There are brick gate piers with the original iron gates with ‘INFANT SCHOOL’ as part of the design.
Edward VII cast iron pillar box.
Chestnuts Park aka Chestnuts Recreation Ground
Stonebridge brook flows east through the ground
This was the garden area of Chestnuts House - a circular flowerbed marks the turning circle in front of the house. The house was used as a library and later as a clinic but was later demolished. New bowls pavilion and adjoining Chestnuts Pre-School Playground and Chestnuts Play centre were built together with a new Community and Arts Centre. There is a surfaced sports area including a basketball court and tennis courts. The original bowling green gas hooped metal boundary railings.
The original metal boundary railings were removed in the Second World War and were later replaced in a simplified version.
Brick gate piers with pyramidal stone caps and some remains of the original wrought iron gates.
Skeleton Horse of Tottenham by Ann Carrington 2005 made from reclaimed timber including chairs, brushes and piano keyboards.
St.Ann’s Library. Opened 1931.
The Hall Lord’s Day
Baths –slipper baths were opened here in 1926 at the back of the fire station.
Coombes Croft. Haringey Fire Station The brigade moved here in 1903 and became the first in England to adopt a petrol motor and also had a combined chemical fire engine, hose tender, and fire-escape. It remained in use until 1926 when it was used as firemen’s flats – the head office of the brigade was at Coombes Croft in the High Road
Haringey District Depot of Tottenham Council. Now the site of Priscilla Close, housing.
The Gardens Community Garden opened in 2002. It is open every day and has a paved area, raised beds, Tree Ferns, shrubs, community mosaic, willow sculptures and seating.
Stonebridge Brook flows along the north side of the road
Arena Shopping Park
Harringay Arena. Built 1936, closed in 1958. The Arena was owned by Brigadier-General Alfred Critchley under the Greyhound Racing Association Trust Ltd. It was designed by. Oscar Faber as an octagonal modernist building built adjacent Harringay Stadium for ice hockey and boxing, seating nearly 10,000. It was used for events in the 1948 Olympics and for the Horse of the Year Show 1949 -1958. Including the first broadcast of the BBC's sports programme Grandstand. Other events included classical music, ballet and circuses. It had a public ice rink and was used for the first National Colliery Music Festival in 1948. US evangelist Billy Graham held his first 'Crusade' here in 1954, it was used for Daily Worker rallies and the Ford Motor Company launched the Consul, Zephyr and Zodiac there. In 1957 it was disposed of to Home & Colonial Stores Ltd who converted it to a food warehouse and a variety of ancillary uses. In 2000 the area was redeveloped as a shopping park
Hermitage Brook here was culverted in 1936 but sections were open until 1955. From Ashfield Road it flows between here and Beechfield Road
The Retreat stood near the junction with Oakfield Road, and Hermitage Brook fed three small lakes in the grounds
Crusader Industrial Estate
Omega Works. Charles H. Challen and Son, piano makers. The business originated from 1804 with this address from 1830 when it was run by William Challen as Challen Pianos. 1971 Taken over by Barratt and Robinson and in 1984 by Broadwood
Arena Industrial Estate – 1930s furniture and joinery and a piano factory
The Oakdale – not clear whether this pub is still open. Has tanks with lizards in the bar,
Development a mid-1970s estate fitted discreetly into the surrounding grid of roads
St Ann’s C of E Primary School. 1960s school building in red brick with lots of windows,
Light industrial buildings covering the line of the Hermitage Brook on a site which was earlier allotments.
Industrial and trading units including some grocery warehousing
St.Annas Works. Saw factory 1930s. Making Okapi saws and other woodworking tools
Plain buildings by Douglas Stephen & Partners in brick, but planned around a landscaped square. Two sides have houses over ground-floor flats, the other two have houses over garages with raised private gardens
Tiverton Primary School. Opened in 1970 by London Borough of Haringey
Stonebridge Brook flows along the south side of the road
Seven Sisters Road
St Ann’s Vicarage, 20th brick house. The entrance has a timber porch and balcony above. The garden was previously part of the churchyard
Wilfred Court. 20th flats on the site of the old Vicarage
Ottimo. Coffee machine and provision merchants founded in 1965 by Luciano Bracaliello. They moved to this site in 1972
17 Bolina Buttons
23 Jonathan Bernley Sportleigh clothing manufacturer
Seven Sisters Primary School
South Grove Children’s Centre
St Ann’s Road
The Stonebridge Brook flows on the north side of the road
Hanger Lane Farm - the farmhouse was previously called Rose Cottage.
Hermitage School. The school for boys, girls, and infants, later known as St. Ann's girls' school, opened in 1858 as the first of the schools connected with St. Ann's church. It was funded by Fowler Newsam and the income of the school was supplemented by his family. The building included a teacher's house and the school was connected to the National Society. From 1871 this was solely a girls' school. It was recognised as a good school and there were long waiting lists in 1918, but the buildings were soon afterwards blacklisted by the Board of Education. From 1934, the seniors used St. Ann's memorial hall until the school's closed in 1939 and juniors and infants taking over all the old school buildings. In 1958 the girls' old school became the Robins building and the boys' Newsam building, while the original structure retained its name as Hermitage infants' school.
St. Ann's boys' school was founded in 1863, and was built at the expense of Fowler Newsam. It was north of Hermitage school and was a single classroom for 80. It was amalgamated with the other St. Ann's schools in 1934.
St Ann’s Church. Built in 1861 by Talbot T Bury in Kentish rag. The tower has an octagonal stone spire and metal cockerel weather vane. Inside is an organ salvaged from Crosby Hall in Bishopsgate.
Churchyard with a War Memorial in the form of a Celtic cross inscribed ‘GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS’. It is surrounded by a random rubble stone wall with stone gate piers. The original pink granite setts also survive
Brickfield started by Nathaniel Lee to the north of the road late 18th
Hanger Green House. This was built on the south west side of the road with gardens plus a lake using the clay pits from the brick field.
Turner Court on the site of the Oceana Laundry. It includes Laurels Healthy Living Centre
Edward VII cast iron pillar box
Public conveniences. Art deco block built in the 1950s on the park perimeter was turned into a café.
St Ann’s General Hospital Ambulance Station on the southern side of St Ann’s Road. Functional 20th with a blue vehicle entrance.
St Ann’s Police Station. This is a brick building with a bay that projects diagonally from the building with a sandstone panel inscribed ‘POLICE’. Above the entrance is a Metropolitan Police coat of arms. There is a small garden surrounded by black painted railings, with a cast-iron police lamp standard and lantern.
277 & 279 pair of semi-detached 19th houses now made into one. On The front is a green sign saying ‘SHEIKH NAZIM AL-HAQQANI DERGHAI’ .the building is now an Islamic Education Centre.
St Mary’s Priory. This is now a mosque. It is a large brick building with a central spire with a scrolled wrought iron cross and gable ends two with stone Latin Crosses. One gable has a recess with a stone statue of St Mary and the Latin text ‘SANCTA MARIA MATER DOLOROSA ORA PRO NOBIS’. Another gable has a recess with a stone statue of a saint. It is surrounded by a brick boundary wall with a central entrance with a timber gate and a metal Islamic crescent
Houses which are part of the Suffolk Road Estate.
170 former Victoria Tavern public house a 19th building in brick with a white painted stucco front .the address was once 1-3 Regency Terrace, and it is now housing,
St. Ann’s Hospital
Opened as the North Eastern fever hospital, by the Metropolitan Asylums Board in 1892. It began in temporary buildings erected during a scarlet fever epidemic. Permanent blocks were erected in 1900 and the site has been enlarged since. The L.C.C. took it over in 1930 and built much of it, In 1948 under the NHS St. Ann's changed its name and becoming a general hospital later specialising in mental health and ophthalmology..
St Ann’s Hospital. Entrance with two brick lodges. The Reception Building has a glazed timber conservatory which was originally an open sided pedestrian shelter, with iron columns and brackets supporting the glazing. East Gate Lodge is on the other side
Mayfield House. Brick 19th building with a decorative porch with a timber balcony above,
Mulberry House. Brick 19th building with a projecting hexagonal bay with a pyramidal roof and a ball above. There is a cast iron fire escape and a conservatory
Acacia House. Brick 19th building accessed via a blue painted door in the boundary wall.
Orchard House. Brick 19th building with tall chimney stacks. It has a cast iron staircase and cast iron railings at roof level
St.John’s Lodge – now within the area of the hospital.
High brick wall. This encloses the hospital and is a major feature along the road
Assemblies of God. This uses a building which were once a scout hut, plus other community uses.
Suffolk Road Estate. This has a monolithic frontage. The estate has narrow alleys of austere white brick terraces and was built 1971 to a design by A. Maestranzi of Haringey Architect’s Department
90 St Mary’s Convent, Austere 20th house behind a brick wall and large metal gates
Tiverton Play Centre
Faith Baptist Centre – this appears to be on the site of, or in the buildings of the former public laundry and wash house
Baths – a public laundry was opened here in 1932
Tiverton Community Centre
Vale RoadIndustrial and trading area, now largely made up of clothing workshops. In the past there have been handbag works, shaving brush manufactures, shoes, electrical wire, flexible tubing and thermometers, etc.
Maynards. Charles Riley Maynard began manufacturing sweets in 1880 in their kitchen in Stamford Hill with a sweet shop next door. In 1890 they moved to a new factory in Vale Road. His son suggested that they diversify into “wine gums” and this began in 1909. The firm grew and expanded. In 1998, taken over by Cadbury, the Vale Road factory closed. The building is now a warehouse but the name remains of the door.
Woodberry Down Baptist Church. This was founded by a group formed in 1865 and, the church opened in 1883
The Hermitage Brook flowed across the site.
Pottery called Williamsons was on the site and closed in 1905. The Tile Kilns may have begun when the Cole family moved here before 1806. In 1826, it was a brick and tile works run by a Mr. Scales., and by 1839 it was described as a brick maker. Cottages for workers were included on the site and condemned as unfit in the early 20th,
Harringay Stadium was a major greyhound racing and speedway venue in Harringay, North London. It was built in 1927 owned by the Greyhound Racing Association Ltd and closed in 1987 It was built by T.G. Simpson on the site of Williamson's Pottery Works later used to dump spoil from the construction of the Piccadilly line. It had a capacity of 50,000. Greyhound racing was held here throughout the life of the stadium and for a short time cheetah racing. The site included a Julius totalisator. This was an early type of computer, using a technology which was one of the forerunners of modern computers but of a strand never fully developed. Some parts of it are now in the Science Museum. Bets were relayed from booths around the ground to a central processor which took up three rooms and worked out odds which were then passed to a large visual display. A major fault with the system was that after each race it had to be nilled manually by a team of workers. There was also a speedway track inside the greyhound track and speedway events ran from 1928 ending in 1961. Stock car racing was from 1954 and was last held in 1979. The site was sold to Sainsbury’s in 1985. A very small area of land remains called Harringay Stadium Slopes. It was a great place for an evening out and still have change from 1/9d.
SourcesAt a Glance web site
British History Tottenham web site iHisBusiness Cavalcade of London
Clarke. Glimpses of Ancient Hackney
Clunn. Face of London,
Haringay Arena Wikipedia web site
Haringay dogs Wikipedia site
London Borough of Haringey web site
Notes taken on visit to Julius tote machine 1987
Ottimo web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Pinching and Dell. Haringey’s Hidden Streams