River Lea - Markfield
The River Lea continues to flow south and is joined by the Stonebridge Brook and the Old Moselle from the west.
Gospel Oak to Barking Railway
The Gospel Oak to Barking Railway running from South Tottenham Station runs north eastwards
Post to the north Tottenham Hale
Post to the west South Tottenham
Post to the east Coppermills
Post to the south Springfield
Springfield Community Primary School
Craven Park Road
Grovelands. Built in 1970 and is an example of a switch to low rise housing. Designed by Janina Chodakowska of Haringey Architect's Department.
Crowland Primary School. Crowland Road School opened in 1911, and Crowland Secondary Modern School in 1946. In 1972 juniors and infants continued remained on the original site.
Gladesmore Community School. Founded in 1910, this was originally called Markfield School
City Learning Centre – part of the Gladesmoor School site
Markfield Park. This was the grounds of Markfield House bought by the local authority in 1925. It was originally opened as Markfield Recreation Ground King George's Field by the Mayor of Tottenham in 1938. It has since been upgraded with Café Pistachios, playgrounds, gardens and other facilities. The Stonebridge Brook, which is in a culvert, and the old Moselle both cross the park and discharge into the Lea.
Markfield House – the house and its grounds stood roughly in the area covered by the schools. It was built in 1798 on what had been farmland.
Pumping Station and Beam engine. This was part of the site of the Tottenham & Wood Green Joint Drainage Board sewage works established here in 1885. The engine, engine house and some other structures remain and now stand as part of Markfield Park. The concrete walls of the filter beds survive along with the plain, stock brick engine house. The engine itself is a Woolf compound rotative beam pumping engine by Wood Brothers of Sowerby Bridge built in 1886. It is self-contained within a decorated framework supported by eight fluted cast-iron columns. The beam is 21 feet long made of riveted wrought-iron plates and the flywheel is 27 feet in diameter. The engine pumped 4 million gallons of sewage per day into the London County Council system at Hackney flowing on to the Northern Outfall to Beckton but stopped work in 1964. It has been preserved and is managed by local enthusiasts.
Building converted to a play centre by Neil Thomson Associates in 1986.
Sludge settlement tanks converted to a playground. Other buildings a play centres. These tanks were a model in their time.
East Warwick Reservoir
Built in 1895 by the East London Water Co. It is a site of special scientific interested and also is used as a trout fishery.
Markfield Road. The name of the area was recorded as ‘Merkefeld’ in 1502, which may mean 'field on a boundary', as it stands on the boundary of both the parish and the Hundred. It has also been associated with a ‘mark stone’ on the High Road.
Spur connection to Seven Sisters and South Tottenham line. 1880 line branch was to Palace Gates.
A low level reservoir built by the East London Water Co. in 1863. It has one island and takes 45,000,000 gallons.
West Warwick Reservoir
Built in 1895 by the East London Water Co.
Crowland School website
Friends of Markfield Park web site
Gladesmore School website
London’s Industrial Archaeology 1.
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Pinching and Dell. Haringey’s Hidden Streams revealed.
Springfield School web site