The brook continues
to flow east and south east and is met by the Hermitage Brook from the south
Post to the west St.Ann's Road
Post to the east Markfield
Chiltern Toys Teddy
Bear Factory. Opened 1929 in The Chiltern Works
Brunswick Road open
Craven Park Road
Catholic Built in 1904 following a mission to the area. It is by W.D. Caroe and is a low building of red brick
alongside the road, with shingled spire. Inside is a 17th font, from
the City church of St Bartholomew Exchange via St Bartholomew, Moor Lane.
Vicarage. Brick, with tall chimneys.
The Stonebridge Brook
flowed along the line of the road and was met here by the Hermitage Brook
Low rise housing
designed in 1974 by Colin St John Wilson & Partners,
Trading and light
On the side of the Tottenham Coal and Goods Yard
1 Doctors surgery in
building marked on earlier maps as engineering works
Andreas Metal Works
The Stonebridge Brook
crossed the road under the Stone Bridge
Mark Stone - this stone, used as a mounting block, stood south of St.Ann's Road
Council building including a Clock tower and toilets. Built on the site of the
shop and frame factory.Hetchins Cycles - Hyman Hetchins opened his bicycle shop in the 1920's
joined by Jack Denny. In 1934 they patented curly stays and began production of
frames which had a high demand until the mid 1950s. The shop was compulsorily
purchased in 1974 for road building.
Roman Catholic church. The first Mass was celebrated in
Morecambe Lodge, a large house on the site of the present waste land. A
chapel was constructed out of stables, coach house and yard of the house and the
first part of the church opened in 1903 and the building was completed in 1911.
The architect was Fr.Benedict Williamson, on whom old churches in Spain, France
and Belgium had a considerable influence and
it is said to be in the style of a 12th German cathedral. The
exterior of the church is faced in Belgian bricks. It is a vast cruciform red brick building. The impressive
towers dominate the area and are said to have influenced the film ‘Vertigo’. Portal with relief of Christ in Majesty. The inside was not finished until 1925
and it includes mosaic Stations of the Cross and mosaics elsewhere in the
Sanctuary, the Sacred Heart chapel and the Lady Chapel. The chapel of St Joseph
church is a memorial to the men of the parish who died in the Great War. There are coronets carved on the piers marking the boundaries
of the church in 1894. Other buildings
exist behind the church in St. Ann’s Road
Tottenham Station. Opened 1871.
It now lays Between Blackhorse Road and Harringay Green Lanes on Overground. Opened
as ‘Tottenham and Stamford Hill’ and built in open country on the Tottenham and Hampstead Junction Railway. It was renamed 'South Tottenham' in 1903. One of the original ticket offices remains, unused.
carrying the Barking /Gospel Oak Line
Tottenham Junction Signal box. Suffers from subsidence
60 The Crowe Bar.
Until recently called The Moll
Cinema. This was originally the Central Hall Picture Palace opened in 1910. The
architect was E.A. Stone of Norfolk& Pryor. In 1937 it was re-named Roxy
Cinema and in 1938, the facade was rebuilt in an Art Deco style by architect
Colin R. Crickmay. It Closed in 1961, and demolished
70 United Church of
the Kingdom of God. Brazilian church in Loyola Hall built by St. Ignatius Church
on the site of the Mayfair cinema.
89 Tesco Express in
ex pub called Golden Stool
148 The Dutch House. Built
1890 as a music hall
Newsams – in the 19th
this house and grounds, opposite the end of St. Ann’s Road was the home of
Fowler Newsam, local benefactor.
Allan Barclay Close.
Housing on the site of the Neptune Mineral Water Works.
Page Green Terrace
Church ex Salvation Army Citadel
Centre, Happy People’s Restaurant, Internet Café, and centre. The building had
previously been used as a club and institute.
Leather Goods Factory 1930s
Papiere Mache factory 1930s
Community Church of God
Day Nursery – closed and demolished
The Stonebridge Brook
ran on the line of the railway
Tottenham Coal and
Goods depot – the Stonebridge Brook ran through this
Seven Sisters Junction.
This is where the now defunct Palace Gates line left the Great Eastern Railway route to
Seven Sisters Road
Named from seven elm trees, which once stood
at the corner of the High Road. They are said to have been planted outside a pub
by seven sisters. In 1852 a garden with 7
trees was planted by seven daughters of a Tottenham family to replace the trees
planted 300 years earlier. The road itself dates from 1833 when it was built by the Metropolitan Turnpike Trust.
Stonebridge Brook crossed the road from the area of Culvert Road
Ann's Snail" mural. Dates from the 1976 as part of the Silver Jubilee celebrations
and it is called Sid.
Road Station. This opened in on the Tottenham and Hampstead Junction Railway. The building was south of the
line, on the west side of Seven Sisters Road near the junction with St.Ann’s
Road It was closed in 1942 but the buildings are
still there as a newsagent
Wards Corner -
named after the former Wards Department store which was on the north side of
618 Woodberry Tavern.
Dates from the 1880s.
eccentric ex-industrial building now flats and shops
Kingdom Hall. In old
post office sorting office
Triangle Centre –
young people’s centre, and sure start centre opened 2007
St. Ignatius. The church bought Morecambe
Lodge, a large house on the site of the present waste land and the following
year, Burleigh House. These were used as housing for the Jesuits community
until the presbytery opened in 1928.
St Ignatious College. opened in
Morecambe Lodge in 1894 initially with 46 boys, 4 Jesuits
and a dog. Another Four classrooms were built. It in 1909 they moved into a new building facing the High
Road. It became
a grammar school and stayed on site until 1968. The Lower School then moved and Upper School moved
to Enfield leaving the primary school
St. Ignatius Roman Catholic Primary School
began life in the building, now dedicated to St Ann Line, in 1901. When the
college moved it took over a buildings dedicated to St Alexander Briant and a
third building dedicated to St Edmund Campion was built
Tee To Tum Club - this stood on the sites of Howland and Frinton Roads and was part of a chain of clubs providing sporting and educatonal facilities for working men.
Built in 1974 for Haringey with Charles Grant as architect
The Stonebridge Brook
remained open in this area between Seven Sisters Road and the railway until the
building of the estate.
Built on what was
once a rail side space.
Sisters Station. Opened in 1872
it lies between Bruce Grove and Stamford Hill on the Over Ground and between
Tottenham Hale and Finsbury Park on the Victoria Line. The station was originally
built by the Great Eastern
Railway on the Stoke
Newington & Edmonton Railway line. The original entrance was in
West Green Road and this first station had substantial brick
buildings. The Great Eastern Railway also opened a branch line, from here to Palace Gates
- and line closed in 1963. In 1880 a junction
between Seven Sisters and South Tottenham stations was built. In 1906 an additional
booking office was opened in Birstall Road, leading into the west end of the
passenger subway which was closed in 1952.
In 1968 the first section of the opened and a new combined entrance was opened in
at the south end on the site of a former wood merchant’s yard. The original
entrance was then closed and the wooden platforms and buildings on the Palace Gates
branch were removed leaving only the disused embankment which was landscaped as
a children’s' play area with housing leaving only a short stub of line beyond
the junction with the Enfield Town line. This became overgrown, and a stout
fence was built to protect the steep drop where the embankment had been. The
station itself was rebuilt in 1979 and the Great Eastern structures demolished.
It got a heated waiting room and toilets, funded by the Greater London Council. In 1985 an escalator connection and subway to
the Victoria Line was included with a joint ticket hall. .
Sidings. Built for a lager brewery and ice factory in
1882. Later used by Tottenham Borough Council.
Closed in 1940.
British Listed building web site
Cinema Treasures web site
Clunn. Face of London,
Day. London Underground
Field. Place Names of London
Haringey Council web site
Hetchins web site
London Railway Record
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Pinching and Dell. Haringey’s Hidden Streams Revealed.
St, Bartholomew web site
St Ignatius web site
Walford. Highgate to the Lea,