The Dagenham Brook goes south east/west through the area
Post to the north Low Hall
Post to the west Walthamstow Marshes
Post to the south Hackney Marshes
Argall refers to Thomas Argall, a local landowner in the 16th.
Trading estate. This dates from 1935.
Cromwell Industrial Estate
– Thomas Argall was Secretary to Thomas Cromwell.
Dorma Trading Park.
Metallico – structural
steel co with metal work construction outside
Lewden Electrical Industries. They
have made and sold electrical equipment to industry since 1946. It was set up
as Lewden Metal Products, the founders being Mr. Lewis and Mr. Denfield
Supermet Works 1940s
Manufacturers of Metal Fittings for Travel Goods, including Attaché Case Locks,
Handles, Handle Shapes, Pin Bolts, Corners, Button Clamps and Miscellaneous
Built as an access road through the site of the former parcels depot/signals training school
This is on the Warner Estate. The road name is said to be a corruption of
Buxhall – Courtney Warner’s country estate in Suffolk.
This is on the Warner Estate. It is named for James Blyth one of the Warner
This short road has a bridge with railings which crosses the Dagenham Brook
and gives a view of it plus a second brick bridge over another channel.
Cast Stone Works. On site later used by Young & Co. rail link in from
Lea Bridge goods depot
Young and Co. Lea Bridge Steelworks. Art Deco factory now in other use.
They made, for instance, structural steel works for housing. There was a rail
link into the factory from the line north of Lea Bridge Station.
Lansdowne Works. Harkwell Labels and
Tags. Now in other use.
On the Warner Estate and named after Courtney Warner’s mother in law. This
group of roads is sometimes known as the Clementina Estate
Back entrance to the gas works – bricked up
The Dagenham Brook runs at the back of the houses on the west side.
Trading and industrial units
Lea Bridge Ceramics
On the Warner Estate. One of the directors was Bernard F.Harris
Industrial and trading units
On the Warner Estate and named after a relative of Courtney Warner’s wife.
On the Warner Estate and named after Hitcham in Suffolk
Emmanuel Church. Built for the Warner Estate suburb
that sprang up in the area from the 1890s. Red brick church by Martin Trovers and T.F.W.
Grant, 1933. Courtney Warner, by then a sir and Lord Lieutenant of Suffolk,
laid the foundation stone with 'masonic ceremonial' and the church is said have
been paid for by the masons.
Church Hall. This was the first church, built
in 1906 by B.C. Frere.
Vicarage, in chequered brick,
On the Warner Estate and named after Kettlebaston in Suffolk
The road runs alongside arches which lie under the erstwhile railway bridge
and station. A staircase up to the
station and the road remains.
This goes to Fairways Business
Park, an industrial estate alongside the railway. It also leads to the
Waterworks Nature Reserve and golf course.
Lea Bridge Road
91 Greyhound. This pub dates from 1839 built when there were plans to build
the station next door. A previous Greyhound Pub was to the west. After the
station opened a bridge was over brought the street level up to its pub’s first
floor and so another storey was added and the old bar became cellars and
wartime bombing meant more rebuilding. The station closed in 1985. It then
became a nightclub and closed in 1997. It was a Taylor Walker pub and Edith’s
view, for what it is worth, is that since at least the 1960s it has looked
closed and very sinister. Still does even though it is now converted to flats.
Lea Bridge Station. The station which was on
the north side of the road was opened in 1840 by the Northern and Eastern
Railway as the first stop out of London for trains which did not stop at
Stratford on a line, originally planned to continue to the north of England,
but in fact reaching settlements in the Lea Valley from Stratford. The original buildings were designed by Sancton Wood and had a bell turret on the roof - the bell was rung to tell passengers a train was due. The station was
called ‘Lea Bridge Road’ in 1841, but this was shortened in 1871. In 1880 a
branch line was added to Chingford. From the 1920s to the 1950s the station was
used by trains running between Liverpool Street and Hertford, and by those
running between North Woolwich and Palace Gates. In the early 1960s trains also
ran to Chingford. It lost its staff in the mid 1970s and the original
station buildings were demolished while a replacement shelter was provided on
the road bridge. The station
finally closed in 1985. Some structures may remain behind and the platforms
Goods Yard. This included covered
structures in the 1950s. This is now covered by new road building – it closed
in the 1970s. Siding went off to the east to adjacent works in Burwell Road
British Railways Signalling Training School. Stood alongside the railway
line. The Signals and Telegraph Dept. belonged to the Great Eastern Railway and had its own siding with a demonstration signal box. Replaced by a parcels depot in 1939 - which was later bombed.
97 Patent Impervious Stone and Construction Co. Ltd. This firm was on site here in the 1930s. Part
of the buildings are now used by stone and tile companies.
Lea Bridge Gas Works. This was built in 1853 by the South Essex Gaslight
and Coke Co. and later passed to the They only supplied part of Leyton, and
were later sold to the County and General Gas Consumers Co. and then closed for a complete rebuild. In 1868 they went into liquidation and were bought by Stephenson Clark as the Lea
Bridge District Gaslight and Coke Co. formed which became the Lea Bridge
District Gas Co. At that time a boundary agreement was made with the West Ham Gas Company. From then the output doubled every ten years The company ran a co-partnership scheme from 1912 and were part of the South Eastern Gas Board in the late 1930s, the company chair being Paddon who controlled the Croydon company. In 1949 the
assets were transferred to the North Thames gas board and in 1956 the works made Cleanglow. There was a connection to the Great Eastern Railway Line. Three gas holders remain
Leyton Electric Substation. Built by the local authority.
Edwardian classical style.
Hemstall Green - this was at what is now the junction with Hibbert Road. It is also where the Dagenham Brook flows under the road. Some of the green could still be seen in 1777 when Lea Bridge Road was built accross it.
282 Hare and Hounds pub. Built 1861
Leyton Wingate Stadium. Football
ground once known as the Hare and Hounds, and home to Leyton Football Club.
Starlight Suite. Function suite
Bridge Business Centre
B and Q on the site of the Sylko Crepe Paper Mills. Fancy items made from
336 Savoy Cinema. It was opened in,
1928 by Hyman Cohen as a cinema plus variety theatre. It had a John Compton
Kinestra organ, had its own orchestra and was designed by George Coles, based
on his Broadway Cinema in Stratford. In
1930 it was sold to United Picture Theatres for £100,000 and was thenceforth managed
by Gaumont British Ltd. It was bombed in 1940 and renamed Gaumont. In
1964 it was re-named Odeon, but was leased to Panton Films in 1969 and re-named
Curzon. In 1971 it became and bingo club but later Classic Cinemas reopened
a cinema in the circle. The Compton organ was taken to the Town Hall, Louth,
Lincolnshire. It closed again in 1979 but remained as a Gala Bingo Club.
Clock tower at the junction with Church Road. Put uop to celebrate the
Millennium in 2000.
St.Saviour. This became the parish church of
St.James parish as St.James itself declined.
It was built in 1873-4 by Francis T. Dolmani. It is the only Gothic
revival church in Walthamstow and the first church in the area funded by the
banker Richard Foster - who promoted many new churches in east and south east
London and helped to support causes like workers co-partnership in the gas industry. The church was built on land which Foster
inherited from his uncle. A nunnery was
also built, later replaced by housing. The foundation stone was laid by his
business partner, John Knowles. The church has a massive spire tucked away at
the rear. It original open roof was replaced after a fire in 1945, when
fittings were also lost. There is a Willis organ of 1872 which came from Backup.
Clergy House substantial former, plain, with
half-hipped roofs, and has been used as offices for the Bishop of Barking.
On the Warner Estate and named after Thorpe Morieux in Suffolk
Built in 2001 on part of Temple Mills marshalling yard and also on former
Lammas Lands. An area designated as a Grade 1 Site of Ecological Importance was
Warehouses – built in 2007 to relocate food warehousing from Waterden Road used
as part of the Olympic Games site
On the Warner Estate. Courtney Warner’s grandmother-in-law was one of the
family of the Earl of Perth.
Sybourn Children’s Centre in what was Lea Bridge School 1950s. Lea Bridge Road
Board School was opened in 1892 as a very small mixed school. From 1932 it was an
infants' school only and in 1958–9 became part of Sybourn Road School.
Lea Bridge Stadium – used for football and speedway. Partial remains of one
stand still on site. 1928-1938
Lea Bridge Gardens. This was a self
built community of 69 shacks also called Bungalow Town with wells, earth closets, and a wooden mission
church. The residents reared ducks and grew vegetables.
It was demolished in the 1930s
On the Warner Estate. Named after Courtney Warner’s wife’s brother in law.
Factories in Staffa Road
were already in production by 1935. Many later additions and this is an area of
trading and industrial units
Quadmet House. Large Art
Hobbs Hart and Co Ltd . Founded by Alfred Hobbs, an American lock dealer in
1852. In 1936 new works and offices were opened in Staffa Road, Leyton. The
company was acquired by Chubb and Son Lock and Safe Company Limited in 1956 and
remained here into the early 1960s
Sybourn Primary School. Sybourn Street Council School opened as a mixed
school in 1903 with permanent buildings completed in 1910. It took children of
all ages. New infants premises were built in 1925 and it was reorganised again 1948
34 Rascals Nursery. This was St. Saviours School
St.Saviours School. The school moved to new buildings here in 1971. The
school had originated in 1842 when St. James's National school was built. A new
school was built in 1874 in Markhouse Lane and in 1889 a school built next to
St. Saviour's church, In 1875 St. Saviour's became the parish church and the
school was known as St. Saviour's.
Pumping station – tiny building
One side is an area of
trading and industrial units
On the Warner Estate. Named after Wetherden in Suffolk
Argall family history web site
CAMRA. City and East London Beer Guide.
Cinema Treasures web site
Closed pubs web site
Derelict London web site
Disused stations web site
East London Old and New
Field. Place Names of London
Grace’s Guide web site
Great Eastern Railway Journal.
Hobbs history web site
Lewden web site
Pevsner. London North
Plummer. Courtney Warner and the Warner Estate
Simpson, Leyton and Leytonstone Past
St. Saviours web site
Stewart. Gas Works
Victoria County History. Essex
Walthamstow cinemas web site