Thames Tributary Ingrebourne
The Ingrebourne flows southwards to the Thames
A tributary to the Ingrebourne flows south from the area of Little Gaynes Lane
Another tributary to the Ingrebourne makes up the lake in Parklands, flowing from the east under Corbet's Tey Road and continuing westwards.
TQ 56274 85453
Parkland and suburbs on the edge of Upminster
Post to the north Upminster Bridge
Post to the west Hacton Bridge
Post to the south Corbet's Tey
Post to the east Corbet's Tey
Branfill Infant and Junior Schools
Corbets Tey Road
The road name means 'Corvyn's enclosure', and refers to a 13th feudal tenant, Henry Corvyn and later Osbert Corbin
Little Gaynes Lodge. May be by Paine. A small Palladian house. It was built in 1770 on the site of the manor pound.
261 Tadlows. Named after a Gaynes head gardener. A two-storey late 18th house.
The main estate in this area was Gaynes in an area less than 75 feet above sea level. The estate covered most of the southern part of the parish. The estate is mentioned in Domesday and was held by a Norman, Walter of Douai and it is also spelt as Engaine or Engaynes. By the 14th it was owned by the de Havering family, and then by Alice Perrers, then Roger Deynecourt, in the mid-16th by Ralph Latham, a London merchant, and a succession of others including Sir James Esdale, Lord Mayor, in 1777. The estate was eventually broken up and housing built.
Little Gaynes Lane
A tributary to the Ingrebourne rises to the south of the lane and flows south west towards the Ingrebourne
Gaynes manor house was on the site of a Norman timber building. Which James Esdaile had demolished in 1770. He built a mansion with two wings and a Corinthian portico which was partly demolished in the early 19th and the rest in 1929.
Branfill Playing Field
Parklands Open Space. This is the final remains of part of Gaynes Park with a serpentine lake, crossed by a bridge. It was formed from farmland in 1770, for landowner James Esdaile, may be designed by Humphrey Repton. A dam was put on a small stream to make a lake now used for fishing.
Bridge. 18th bridge attributed to James Paine. It has curved approach brick walls and once had a balustraded parapet. There is a large central arch with stepped keystones.
52-54 footbridge at the back made up of an arch of red brick. This was an ‘eyecatcher’ built in the 1760s James Esdaile
British History Online. Upminster. Web site
Drury. History of Upminster and Cranham
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex