Thames Tributaries – The Norbury Brook feeding the River Wandle
The Norbury Brook continues to flow north west
Post to the west Thornton Heath
Post to the south Selhurst
Bensham Manor Road
St.John’s Congregational Church
Bensham Junior School
Norbury Brook - cuts off the end of the road. Undergrowth
Norbury Brook – crosses the road
Norbury Brook crosses the road and the section of road from Colliers Water Lane to the station was once all Colliers Water Lane.Shree Shakhty Ghanapathy Temple. Hindu
19 The Railway Telegraph. Built 1876.
Clock Tower. Erected by Croydon Council in 1900 on what had once been Walker’s Green. In 1987 workmen repairing the Clock Tower had to suspend work following the discovery of an unsuspected underground chamber. The tower was originally built to hold' tramway switch gear.
St.Andrew's RC church. Built 1970 by Broadbent, Hastings, Reid & Todd. Inside is Stained Glass of the Last Supper by Patrick Nuttgens.
Norbury Brook runs behind the houses on the south side of the road.
Pump House from the water works used as a production studio and housing. Built in 1861 by Lambeth Water Co.
Thornton Heath Health Centre
Norbury Brook crosses it
1 & 2 Foyer Croydon with a huge great outline metallic hand coming out of the building. Accommodation for young ex-offenders run by Broomleigh HA.
10 Thornton Heath Islamic Centre in what used to be the Victory pub
61a Thornton Heath Health Centre
Road to Thornton Heath from Norwood –the Thornton Heath end used to be known as “Decimus Burton Road”. The road was cut through Bewlye Coppice by John Davison in the 19th when he was owner of the Manor of Whitehorse. He went on to develop the Beulah Spa
St.Alban. Built 1889 with some later additions. This was Sir Ninian Comper's first church built in red brick but his planned furnishings were never put in place, except for some stained glass. It is very high Church of England.
Grangewood Park. This was 80 acres of Whitehorse Wood. The area was part of the Manor of Whitehorse and had belonged to the Bishops of London from 1299 to 1338. It was enclosed in 1797 by John Cator and later the area was developed as a gentleman’s park with a house and facilities at the northern end. This southern tip of land had been part of Woods Field and Heath Lodge at the southern end of the park was not built until an entrance to the park was made from the junction of Grange Road and Ross Road. Croydon Council bought the Park in 1900 and added a bowling green and tennis courts, and a band stand, which was demolished after the Second World War. It has Oak woodland, gardens, sports facilities and a playground
Applegarth Social Club, CIU
2 Prince George.
61 Thomas Farley pub was the Wilton Arms. Farley was a local landowner and developer.
66 Salvation army
72 Government offices built 1954 By E. H. Banks. Job centre.
Baths opened 1897 and demolished in 2004
Leisure centre opened 2004
Polytechnic, opened in 1892
The Norbury Brook
Elim Pentecostal church
The Grange pub
Strand House, Croydon Council Local Centre. Social Services, CAB etc.
Croydon Depot and Education Supplies Centre
55 Parchmore Methodist Church
Fountain Head pub
Thornton Heath Early Years Centre
Housing on the site of the reservoir
Selhurst reservoir for 2,500,000 gallons. Built in 1861 by Lambeth Water Co. A loop pipe to laid at 200' to act as a standpipe and the site included cottages for the work force
St Pauls Road
St. Paul’s Church built 1871 by A.N.Shaw
This was once a heathland and charcoal burning area. The name means ‘farm where thorn bushes grow’. The heath itself was common grazing for the manor of Bensham.
Thornton Heath Station.1862. Between Selhurst and Norbury on Southern Rail. Built as part of the Balham Hill and East Croydon line of the London Brighton and South Coast Railway as a short-cut on the Brighton Main Line. The station was originally called Colliers Water Lane. It is a good example of the red brick suburban stations built c. 1900 by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. The ticket office is on a bridge
Colliers Water Farm was in this area
White Horse Lane
Clifton Gospel Hall
White Horse Road
Junction with White Horse Lane was site of the manor. Had been South Bensham Manor. Then owned by a Walter Whitehorse, under Edward III.
Whitehorse Manor School. On the site of the original Whitehorse Manor. The building dates from 1892 and has had a series of different age ranges and types of school in it.
War memorial in front of the school