Friday, 29 October 2010

Thames Tributaries – the Norbury Brook - Selhurst

Thames Tributaries – the Norbury Brook feeding to the River Wandle
The Brook goes north and west through this area


Post to the north Thornton Heath
Post to the east Selhurst

Atlee Close
Ecclesbourne schools. Infant and Primary. Began to be built on this site in 1970.

Bensham Lane
304 Lynton House. Cash and carry and light industry
Potter & Co. Victorian company which exploited the gravel pits in the area.

Bert Road
Built as an access road in 1891
Bensham Manor Allotments. Originally this old allotment site was built on an area of gravel pits later used for land fill. It had been part of the land of Whitehorse Farm. The original allotment site was very large and covered most of the area between the cemetery and Brigstock Road. Memorial garden where the ashes of allotment holders can be scattered.

Boulogne Road
Gravel workings in the area by Croydon Canal Co which were excavated in 1840s and pond over most of it then.
38 Access Ability Centre
Youth club
Boulogne Road Playground, In the 1880s the site was a fish pond. It was bought by Croydon Council in 1930 and the pond filled in.
Horse bus garage and stables behind the playground, demolished

Ecclesbourne road
Bensham Manor Secondary School. Built on a site which was once gravel pits and then allotments. It was built as Ecclesbourne Road School in the early 20th.

Edith Road
Hut which acts as a sports clubhouse.

Eileen Road
Norbury Brook runs under Eileen Road

Marian Road
Norbury Brook runs under Marian Road

Northcote Road
64-66 Electricity sub station

Palmerston Road
Norbury Brook runs parallel to the north east side of the road

Pawsons Road
Norbury Brook crosses there road having been through the grassed area underground.
New housing on the hospital site.
William Pawson was an 18th local landowner
Pawsons Road Baptist Church at one time this was Memorial Baptist Hall or Joynsons Memorial Hall.
182 The Lion

Queens Road
Queens’s Road Hospital. Was originally the Croydon Union Workhouse. This building was originally part of Croydon Union Workhouse, built in 1865 by J. Berney. Separate fever wards were added in 1879. During the Second World War the buildings became a hospital under the Emergency Medical Scheme but was bombed in 1941. From 1948 it was known as Queen's Road Hospital under the National Health Service, and specialised in geriatric care. It closed in 1987. The site is now housing with some preserved and listed original buildings.
Queens Road Homes. 3 two-storey cottage homes, to provide separate accommodation for children, were built on the site in 1905.
Queens Road Cemetery. Opened 1861 with two rag stone chapels from the 1880s, designed by E.C.Robbins and an entrance with two arches. There was also a lodge where someone lived until recently. This was the original cemetery in Croydon. It has about 50,000 graves and approximately 97,000 burials have taken place since it opened – the first being a member of the Croydon Board of Guardians who had conveniently died. In the south-west corner is a brick air-raid shelter. There are areas where members of catholic religious orders are buried.

Saxon Road
The Norbury Brook runs parallel to the south east side.
St.Saviour's Road
New housing built 1975- 80 designed by P. G. Vincent, head of the borough's Department of Architecture. They are low cottages in dark red brick surrounded by 19th artisan housing

Swain Road
The Norbury Brook crosses the road underground
Sydenham Road
Broadmead Junior School
Broadmead Nursery and Infant School
King George’s field
. Once a rubbish tip the area was bought by Croydon Council in 1937 to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of George V. It was opened on George VI’s Coronation Day with equipment all painted red, white and blue. It is managed by the Eleanor Shorter Trust.
333a Mount Zion Seventh Day Church of God. The church was founded in the USA in the 1880s and came to England in the 1970s via Jamaica.

The Crescent
The Crescent Primary School on the site of the old Selhurst High School which was later a specialist school for mathematics but had to close because of low numbers.
Brit School. Performing arts college in new buildings funded by the BRIT awards/

Treetops Close
The Norbury brook runs in front of the houses which are reached by little bridges
Tugela Road
Named for the Tugela River which figured in the South African War of 1899-1902.

Whitehorse Road
The name reflects an alternative name for the old manor of Bensham. This estate was held by Walter Whithors, the King's squire and shieldbearer, in 1367, and is referred to as ‘Bencham alias Whitehorse’ in 1589. The manor house built 1604, was pulled down in the 19th,
Whitehorse Road Recreation Ground, ornamental garden and playing field which has belonged to the Council since 1891. Used for air raid shelters in the Second World War
Norbury Brook crosses it.
Salvation Army

No comments: