Thames Tributaries – the Norbury Brook feeding to the River Wandle
The Brook goes north and west through this area
Post to the west Selhurst
Post to the east Woodside
Post to the south Addiscombe
St.Chad’s Catholic Primary School
A path once ran from here to Junction Cottages between the railway lines.¬ This path continued, via a footbridge to Gloucester Road
Follows the alignment of the Croydon canal. Housing from the 1990s
30 plaque to Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, which says ‘composer of the "Song of Hiawatha", lived here'. He spent most of his life in the Croydon area but only the first two years of married life here. Plaque erected 1975.
Selhurst Early Years Centre
The boundary of the rear gardens of houses on the west side marks the towpath of the Croydon Canal.
Site of steam pump' that was part of the canal equipment.
This area had been lands of Selhurst Farm, later known as Heavers Farm. Access a across the canal was via a swing bridge.
Croydon Sixth Form College, Davidson Road Campus. The site also includes professional development centre. This was Davidson Road School where D.H.Lawrence taught in 1908
58 Heavers Farm Primary School. Opened 1972, and rebuilt 1997 in glass and steel. Designed in the form of an open book.
154 The Woolpack. Closed pub
221 Two Brewers pub. Books, stuffed birds and fish on display. Shepherd Neame tied house
Runs on the line of the Norbury Brook.
The area through which the tangle of railway lines runs was partly Croydon Common and Selhurst Wood which was split in two by the lines.
The railway between Norwood Junction and West Croydon stations was opened in 1839 mainly on the line of the Croydon Canal except through this area where the line diverged from the canal to the north. The loop of the canal to the south remained in water. The line was initially built by the London and Croydon Railway authorized in 1835 and they purchased the canal for £40,250. They also had arrangements with other railway companies to share routes through this area. The South Eastern Railway had agreed to construct its line to Dover through Croydon and the London and Brighton Railway was to join at Norwood Junction both coming from what is now East Croydon Station and all going to London Bridge and/or Bricklayers Arms. The line was partly converted to atmospheric traction in 1844 until 1847. Lines thus run across this area to Norwood Junction from both East and West Croydon Stations. In 1862 lines were added via Selhurst Station on a line from Victoria to East Croydon coming via Balham.
Willow Wood in 1910,
Selhurst Yard was on the open space to the south which was developed from 1880 and handled freight from Deptford Wharf and Surrey Docks. The Croydon Canal went through the site and had remained in water until then.
Lupin Bridge. Within the depot
Gloucester Road Junction. This was once known as Windmill Bridge Junction. It was the site of ‘cinema’ style box with Westinghouse Brake & Signal Co. Ltd. Style 'L' Power Lever Frame opened in 1954. The aim was to abolish semaphore signalling from London Bridge and Victoria where lines met at Windmill Bridge and so replaced former London, Brighton & South Coast Railway signal box which had opened in 1903. The new box was closed in April 1984 and was demolished in May 1986. Replaced by Three Bridges Signalling Centre.
Depot - In 1912 lines were electrified and Selhurst became the site for the carriage sheds and repair depot for the LB&SCR railway electrification scheme. There depot is now to the east of Selhurst station and acts as a maintenance facility for Southern and First Capital Connect trains. It is the first train depot, south out of London Bridge on the Brighton Main Line.
Cottage Bridge. Pre stressed concrete bridge built 1983 to carry the slow lines between Selhurst and East Croydon over the Norwood Junction to West Croydon line. It has four short spans.
Junction cottages built between the lines in the 1860s in 3 terraces of 4 houses each. They were demolished in the early 1970s.
Railway arches – as railway lines were built, the track to Selhurst Farm was moved slightly south and under the three lines on brick arches which could be seen from trains.
Name means willow wood - probably ‘wooded hill where sallow willows grow'. Selhurst Wood is shown near here on the Ordnance Survey map of 1819.
Heavers Farm Centre. Croydon Council Day Centre.
Heavers Meadow. Flood Meadow .The area of Heavers Meadow and the adjacent allotments were conveyed to the Croydon Corporation in 1935 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for use as an open space or recreation ground and allotments or allotment gardens. In the 18th part of the site was Dragnet Wood and later called Selhurst Wood. It has been set up to deal with seasonal flooding from Norbury Brook - after rain the water level can rise several feet in a few minutes.
Norbury Brook. Can be seen in Heavers' Meadow alongside the British Railways area. It then runs under Selhurst Road. A range of boggy plants can be seen alongside.Selhurst Station Opened 1865 Between East Croydon and also West Croydon and Thornton Heath on Southern Rail. Built by the London Brighton & South Coast with a booking office on the level part of porch.
Church Seventh Day Adventist in congregational church
Priory School. Nature garden
South Norwood Primary School. nature garden and living willow wheel maze
12 plaque to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The house is now a care home. Sir Arthur lived here 1891 and 1894. During this time he had six of his stories published. Plaque erected 1973.
Clay pit of brickworks turned into a lake and nature reserve
Site of the canal steam pump. The building that housed it outlasted the canal by some years.
Brocks fireworks moved here in the 19th and left following an explosion,
Follows the line of the Croydon canal.