Post to the north North Feltham
Post to the east Feltham
Ashmead Road Depot. Council Yard. Deals with building repairs, etc.
Level Crossing. This originally built by the London and South Western Railway is said to be unusual in that it crosses a one way street. It has recently been permanently closed.
Blenheim Park is largely open grassland with football pitches. It was once fields. It is bounded by the Longford River
Harle House Day Centre. This is used by West Hounslow Mencap.
Cardinal Centre. NHS Health Centre. Mental Health Recovery team
The Former School. Flats in what appears to be an early 20th school building.
Cardinal Road School. This is now a nursery and infant school but opened in 1902 as a boy’s school. In 1993 the school moved into a renovated and extended building. A new Nursery building was opened in 1994, the grounds were landscaped and the re-building was complete. (Edith is very confused by this. It looks as if Cardinal Road School buildings are now ‘The former school’ flats and the present school is in the buildings of Hanworth Road School.
Coniston Lodge. Care Home
Derwent Lodge. Care Home
Stevens Yard. Light industry
Fern House. E. Moss, pharmaceutical company with chain of chemists shops starting in 1915 48 High Street. By the mid 1930s Moss had ten Chemist branches the company moved to Fern Grove with a head office of and a central warehouse. In 1965 they were operating 36 modern pharmacies, and 3 specialist photographic shops. In 1969 the company set up an industrial sales division to supply medical and surgical items to local factories. Since rebranded as part of Boots. The two care homes appear to be on the site.
Large park and playing field. Said to be a nature conservation area
This was once called Teddington Road, but changed following the building of the railway
Bridge House Pond. Public gardens including a 19th duck pond was created when the railway was built in 1849, and soil was dug out to create an embankment for a new railway bridge. The pond is surrounded by trees, and has an area of open space next to it. Bridge House Gardens, were once known as Crendon Court Gardens,
Bridge House. The original Bridge House was built around 1860 with the first owner Edmund Hill owner of the local Gunpowder Powder Mill. It was used by Feltham Urban District Council as offices from 1931. Following a fire it was rebuilt in 1980. It has recently been used as a temporary home for a new ‘academy’ and now appears to be for sale.
Fire engine station. The original Feltham Fire Station stood immediately south and adjacent to the railway line on the east side of the road. It dated from some time in the late 1920s and was replaced before 1965 by the current station in Faggs Road. When built it was administered by the local authority and then as part of the Middlesex Fire Brigade.
Air Raid shelters. These were unearthed during recent road works. The shelter provided a temporary sanctuary for staff and councillors of the then Feltham Urban District Council, firemen from the nearby fire station and residents.
1-3 Open Door Centre. Psycho therapy centre. Closed in 2012
St Catherine’s church. The church was designed by Carpenter and Ingelow and built in 1878-80 but the tower was only added in 1898. The church closed in 1975 and all that remains is the tower and spire attached to a building called St Catherine’s House. In 1981 the Church of England parish of St Catherine merged with the United Free Church, which became Christ Church.
Public Toilets. These gave decorative iron work fences. Used as a craft workshop by Open Door Centre now in other use
10 Ambassador Hotel. Plus monkey puzzle tree.
12 Clifford House Medical Centre. GP practice
11-13 this was previously the Hounslow Social Services offices, closed 2011
Christ Church. Hanworth road Methodist church. This dates form 1909 as the Feltham Wesleyan Church and later became Hanworth Road Methodist Church. In 1976 the Victoria Road United Reformed congregation sold its church and merged with Hanworth Road Methodist Church, which became the United Free Church (Methodist/United Reformed). In 1981 the Church of England parish of St Catherine also merged them to become Christ Church. It Reopened 2019
Magistrates Court. This is no longer in use as a court. It was originally built in 1902, and extended in the late 1950s with office space and a conference room.
30 Feltham Constitutional Club. Private members club
34 Police Station. Site of Auckland House. 1950s let to War Department for use of Home Guard; used as married quarters
The Feltham pub. This had been the Railway Hotel built 1850 demolished 1935. The Feltham was later known as The Feltham Feast and later became The People’s Centre. This was then replaced by a Skills Centre. It has now been demolished
3 The Centre. The Moon on the Square. 103 comments on Beer in the Evening, several describing nightly fights etc etc. Wetherspoons. Pictures and history panels on the walls depict the changing Feltham landscape over 90 years.
64 Cricketers. Built 1925 preceded by a beer house also called the Cricketers built in 1861. Closed and demolished.
Feltham Library. The Centre. Includes the local history department
This road is now solely in the square to the south as a side road from the High street. In the early 1960s it was built to run parallel to the High Street from Bedfont Lane at the rear of what was then The Centre. This has since been changed and its area is now used for major chain businesses, flats and office blocks in a pedestrianised shopping area,
Feltham Station. This was opened in 1848 by the Windsor Staines and South Western Railway, later the London and South Western Railway. It lies between Ashford and Whitton and also Hounslow on South Western Trains. A line from Barnes dates from 1850. The original station house still stands. In the 1930s a main station entrance was built on the road bridge in Hounslow Road but was demolished in the early 1990s. To the south west of the station was a siding and rail link going to the Royal Army Supply Corps depot to the south. A new station was built in the 1990s.There is a small bus station for services to London Heathrow Airport, and a taxi rank/car park
Feltham Signal and Maintenance Depot. This is on the site of sidings on the east side of Hounslow Road. They are on the site of goods shed and coal yard. Before the railway was built this was a gravel pit
Saw mills. These stood on the east side of Hounslow Road from the 1880s until the Second World War. The site now appears to be a hotel.
Hotel St Giles. This was built as offices in the late 1960s as Astronaut House by Harry Hyams and occupied by Hamlyn books. It was converted to a hotel in 1998 by a Malayan company
Feltham Park. Feltham Park is situated in Feltham, Middlesex and is well equipped with an integrated playground, 3 tennis courts and a small pond.
Assembly Hall. This was opened in 1965 and provides a venue for community events.
This is an artificial cut built for Charles I in 1639 to supply water to Bushy Park and Hampton Court Palace from the Colne. It flows south east through Feltham, passing through Blenheim Park and Feltham Arena. The river passes under Hounslow Road.
Feltham Labour Club. Social club and Constituency Labour Party Offices.
New Road appears originally to have gone round the rear of railway sidings and coal yard. Later allotments were provided on the west side. It now has the Station Car park and bus station
Lidl supermarket with car park
Bedfont Lane Community Centre
A terrace of cottages here were demolished in the 1960s
Home Court. Tower block 16 stories built 1969 demolished 2004.
Hexamic Ltd. Chemical Works 1930s
Compo Works. This was on the site of the Ivory works,
Belvedere Works, agricultural equipment. Companies here included Autos Precision Products. Bankrupt 1971. Also Phillips and Bonson 1960s who made tape recorders; Elco Heating 1960s
Electrical accumulator works
Ivory works. This was here in the 19th,
Feltham Arena, this was an early 20th gravel site followed by landfill before becoming an open space. The Arena was built in the 1960's for Feltham Football Club, and it included an athletics track as well as other sports facilities. It was also used for open air concerts.s The Football club left in 2004 and it fell into disrepair, and the grandstand was demolished in 2008. Plans to rebuild the stadium were abandoned in 2012, following the dumping of construction waste and the raising of the land on the site. It has since been remediated and is in public use.
Station Estate Road
The road is mainly privately owned by travelling showmen who use it as their base, while travelling around fairgrounds.
Victoria Junior School. The school appears to date from the early 1980s on this site which appears to have been previously housing.
Feltham Congregational Church. This became Victoria Road United Reformed Church which sold its site in 1976,
Christ Church, Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
London Borough of Hounslow. Web site
Parks and Gardens Web site
Pevsner & Cherry. North West London
The Kingston Zodiac,
Walford. Village London