Saturday, 27 May 2017

Bickley.



Post to the north Bicley
Post to the east Chiselhurst


Bickley Park Road
Bickley Park Estate. From 1861 Ernest Newton built houses throughout the area. The land had been bought by George Wythes among accusations of malpractice.
Lauriston House. Care home.
St.George's Church.  This dates from 1863 and was provided by George Wythes for the estate. It was built very expensively by F. Bames. It is in ragstone and the tower and spire were rebuilt by Ernest Newton in 1905—6.  The church was bombed in the Blitz and the next-door vicarage destroyed. Subsequently the interior was turned from light to dark by the vicar. Canon Hugh Glaisyer, by blocking all the chancel windows. It was also severely damaged by a fire in 1989.
War Memorial. This is in the churchyard and was rededicated in 2016. It is on a square base surmounted by a two stepped plinth tapered shaft and a bontonne cross. There is an inscription on the cross giving dates in Roman numerals.
Cricket club. The cricket ground here appears to have been set up by George Wythes, the original developer and appears on maps since before the Great War. The current club has an active fixture list and an arrangement with a club in Hong Kong.

Hawthorne Road
15 This is on the site of Bickley Park Farm and some buildings are said to remain at the rear

Page Heath Lane
Bickley Park School. This is a fee paying ‘independent prep’ school. It was founded in 1918 and is on two attractive sites in the road.

Southborough Road
Elmwood Nursing Home.
Bickley Station. Opened in 1858 it now lies between Bromley South to the west and both Petts Wood and St. Mary Cray to the east South Eastern Trains.  The station was originally called Southborough Road and opened by the London, Chatham and Dover Railway on the Chatham Main Line, at first from Bromley and then in 1860, to Faversham and then to Dover and Ramsgate. In 1861 it was renamed Bickley.

Sources
Bickley Cricket Club. Web site
Bickley Park School. Web site
Goldsmiths. South East London Industrial Archaeology
Pevsner West Kent
Pevsner and Cherry, South London
St. George’s Church. Web site
War Memorials On line. Web site

No comments: