Post to the west Mayesbrook park
Post to the east Goresbrook Park
Fanshawe Tavern, This was built in 1934 as part of the facilties for the Becontree Estate. It was later renamed The Pipers, It closed in 2000 and was subsequently demolished. There are now flats on the site.
75-77 Pupil Referral Unit
Becontree Estate Railway.
This was a temporary line which ran between Chadwell Heath and the river during the construction of the Becontree Estate. It operated between 1921 and 1934. It was established by building contractors Wills & Sons connecting with existing goods sidings at Goodmayes and running south through the future estate, to a jetty on the Thames. In this square a branch of the line ran from Porters Avenue to the lake in Parsloes Park
Roding Primary School. The main part of this school is in Hewitt Road (in the square to the north) and the school has expanded onto this site since 2000.
Dawson School, was established by Barking Education Committee in 1931. The school closed in 1966, amd pupils were transferred to Dorothy Barley School or Cambell School. The site became known as Bifrons Annexe and was used by Mayesbrook Secondary School from 1970 until 1989.
This old lane forms much of the Dagenham boundary.
Great Porters farm. The farm was on the east side of the road in the area of Wykham Avenue. The farmhouse had a castellated parapet to the roof and a pointed doorway and it is thought to have been a 19th façade on an earlier building. It was demolished during the bulding of the Becontree Estate.
Becontree Station. Opened in 1926 it now lies between Dagenham Heathway and Upney on the District Line. It was originally opened by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway as ‘Gale Street Halt’. It was rebuilt on its present site in 1932 and opened as a District Line Station with the name changed to ‘Becontree’
Gale Street Farm. This was sited south east of the railway line.. It was named after the family of Richard de Gal recorded in Dagenham in 1284. The farm was demolished during construction of the Becontree Estate but was used originally as the home of the LCC Agent – one of whom was father of the clothes designer Hardy Amies.
523 Worshipville Christian Centre.
James Cambell Primary School. This built as Cambell School by Barking Education Committee in 1930 and it was a secondary modern school as well as an infants and juniors.
Only about a quarter of the park is in this square. The rest is in squares to the north and east.
Parsloes Park. This is owned by the local authority. The park derives its name from the Passelewe family, who owned the land in the 13th. The land was acquired by the London County Council in 1923 and opened as a park in 1935, marking the official completion of the Becontree estate.
Pond. This was a gravel pit used by the contractors for the estate. It had stone crushing plant and coating machinery for making tarmacadam for road surfacing. In the pits were found numerous Palaeolithic flint tools including 26 hand-axes. This indicates that this may have been the site of a camp used by Neanderthal hunters for butchering animals
2a Mountain of Fire and Miracles. Evangelical Church. This was Greig Hall built as a mission by Shaftesbury Society in 1933-34
St Anne’s Roman Catholic church. This now appears to be St Joseph Malankara Catholic London
Church of God Mission International Dagenham. This is in what was Woodward Hall
Woodward Road Library. This is is now a re-use centre for disability charity DABD,
Barking and District Historical Society. Web site
Evans. Bygone Dagenham and Rainham.
Field. London Place Names,
GLC. Home Sweet Home
London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. Web site
Nature Conservation in Barking and Dagenham
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Pub History. Web site
Victoria County History of Essex. Dagenham
Walford. Village London
Wikipedia. Web site. As appropriate