M25 Upshire Honey Lane
Post to the west M25 Junction 25 High Beech
Post to the north Upshirebury
This is the steep winding road that cuts Honey Lane Quarters in half. An older name for it is Honey Lane (Buxton). It was once a rat-run’ across High Beach to the M25 and it was experimentally closed, but now has pinch points and road humps.
The road name is recorded in 1408
Jewish Cemetery. This Cemetery was officially opened in 1960 although some land was bought in 1926. It caters for members of the United Synagogue who live in the east London. There is a Holocaust Memorial consecrated in 1985 under US auspices. In the Prayer Hall is a War Memorial Plaque as a Plain rectangular stone tablet to 26 dead with inscription in black lettering. It says Second Great War (1939-45) (Hebrew text) "How are the mighty fallen! May the weapons of war perish forever." This plaque was presented by Mrs. Rebecca Passer in memory of her husband Nathan Passer. There is another memorial moved here from the East London Synagogue in Nelson Street, Stepney. It is to the dead of the Great War and has 670 names, It consists of two tablets with the Star of David at top with a wreath and ribbon and names in four columns. It says “Dedicated to the honoured memory of the Jews of East London who were numbered among those who, at the call of King and Country left all that was dear to them, endured hardness, faced danger and finally passed out of the sight of men by the path of duty self sacrifice giving up their own lives that others might live in freedom Let those who come after see to it that their names are not forgotten.
Volunteer Pub. The pub was present in 1870 and has been a McMullan house since 1898.
Shelter. This thatched building is described both as ‘Honey Lane Plain Gatehouse’ and also, originally, ‘rest house’.
Horse Trough. The inscription on this reads:” Metropolitan Drinking Fountain & Cattle Trough Association. If you bring your horse here to drink, you can shelter the horse from any bad weather”.
Woodbine Inn. This pub was present by 1880.
Scratching Post. Cat Rescue and re-homing.
Honey Lane Plain. This is a long narrow plain – with a Ride running down to the bottom of Clay-pit Hill The whole area was open in the middle of the 18th but later became dense blackthorn thicket. Today it is a long, narrow path running southwards up the hill.
Rifle Butts. Honey Lane Plain clearing was the site of a rifle range built in 1863 for the 22nd Essex Rifles. The gun pits were at the bottom and two butts were built at 600 yards and 800 yards. The range closed about 1894. A mound, at the top of the hill, is the remains of the farther butt
Pynest Green Lane
Tile Hill Farm
Honey Lane Quarters. This consists of all the woodland on the western slopes from High Beach to Woodridden Hill on the west side of the Wake Road down to the Volunteer and Woodbine Pubs
This is a large mobile home site. The park has its own club house for social events
Woodredon was a small outlying manor. In the 19th it was owned by Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton, who with his brother was involved in the battle to save the Forest in the 1860’s and 70’s. They continued to own the Woodredon Estate until they sold it to the Greater London Council in 1974. In 1986 it passed to the Corporation of London.
Woodredon Farm. The farmhouse is a mid 18th red-brick house and is probably the successor to earlier manor houses
Woodredon Riding School and Livery
Coneybury Wood. This is on the Woodredon estate
Epping Council. Web site
Find a Grave. Web site
Friends of Epping Forest. Web site
Pub History. Web site
United Synagogue. Web site
Volunteer. Web site