Great Eastern Railway to Ilford
The Great Eastern Railway from Stratford Station runs north eastwards through Maryland Station and onwards
Post to the west Stratford
Post to the north Cann Hall
Bryant Street Methodist Church and Community Centre. The church began in 1884 when a mission was set up following a visit by Moody and Sankey. About 300 men formed the Mizpah band, and with the Young Men's Christian Association built a hall on a site given by a Miss Eccles. This was taken over in 1934 by the Methodist Church but in 1944 the Church, Conference Hall and Y.M.C.A were destroyed by bombing. The main site is now occupied by the Police Station. All that remained is the Main Hall, with a memorial plaque to the dead of the Great War – and that still stands. It had been a hospital in the Great War and became the church after the bombing. In 1964 a new church with ancillary buildings and a hostel were built. However membership declined and money was scarce. Wesley House was set up as a student hostel in 1965/66. A community project was set up in 1977 and the church was a pioneer in the Night Shelter movement, for the homeless.
50 Stratford Vicarage
Carter Patterson’s Depot at the Romford Road end of the road on the east side from the 1920s until at least the mid-1960s.
Stratford Hall. This 19th house stood on the corner with Romford Road. It was demolished in 1921. A summerhouse in the garden may have been older
Radha Krishna Temple. This is in a series of buildings which are partly a converted chapel. 33 The Centre was founded in 1967 to provide a Hindu Religious, philosophical and cultural Centre. The presiding deity is Radha Krishna but other deities of Lakshmi Narayan, Durga Mata, Ram Darbar, Holy Shiv-Ling, Shri Ganesha ji, Baba Balak Nath and Hanuman ji have also be established.
University of East London. Part of the university complex dominates this small road. It is on the site of the barracks which fronted onto The Green
System House. Built in 1910 as public offices by John Morley. Built for Customs and Excise and became the local Inland Revenue office. This is now offices for local organizations.
2a Lyon House. Physiotherapy and midwifery centre. Pevsner says it looks like a prefab canteen. In the past used by WRVS.
22 Newtec, an education and training institute for women which continues the tradition of educational establishments in the area. Its present form results from the extension and re-cladding of a 1960’s block. It was carried out in1994-6 to a design by Cazenove Architects Cooperative. Walls faced by plywood panels sit within an exposed timber frame. The taller block at the east end is covered by a curved stainless steel roof. This also houses a Children’s Centre
Trade School. This was a municipal technical college which opened in 1898. In 1936 it opened a trade school for girls in Deanery Road and a brass plate describes its opening. It was rebuilt in 1949 as the West Ham technical school or girls.This was renamed Deanery grammar school in1 959, and in 1961 amalgamated with Stratford Green girls secondary modern school to form Deanery High School.
Stratford Green Secondary School. Water Lane board school, Stratford, was opened in 1897 and was reorganised in 1945 as a secondary modern school renamed Stratford Green School in 1949. Stratford Green boys’ school moved in 1958 and Stratford Green girls’ school remained in Water Lane and in 1961 amalgamated with the adjoining Deanery grammar school to form Deanery high school.
Sarah Bonnel School. This began as a charity school in 1777, after Sarah Bonnell left £3,500 for a school for poor girls in West Ham. The first school was in a building opposite West Ham Church and called Mrs. Bonnell's School. By 1834, there were 140 pupils and the school continued to expand. In 1873 the name was changed to West Ham High School for Girls and it also moved to West Ham Lane as an independent, fee-paying school which also took junior boys, in 1905 it moved to a large, building in The Grove and ceased to be independent. In 1944 became again Sarah Bonnell Grammar School and moved, this time to St. George's Road, Forest Gate. In 1972 it became comprehensive as Sarah Bonnell Comprehensive School and moved to Deanery Road, in buildings that previously called Deanery High School for Girls and Stratford Green Secondary School. In 1993, the Technology Village was opened by The Prince of Wales. Since 2003 it has been a Language College, and continues to maintain the links with Sarah Bonnell's endowment
Built on the gardens of what was Stratford Vicarage
Park Community Centre
Edward Temme Avenue
Edward Temme was born in Stratford and was the first man to swim the channel in both directions
Gladstone Hall. HQ of West Area Newham Scout Group.
Grove Crescent road
St. Francis of Assisi. This was originally the church of St. Vincent de Paul opened in 1868, with a school-hall below., said to be by architect EW Pugin but this is now thought to be a mistake. It has a classical brick façade with stucco centre brought forward and two towers. In 1873 it was taken over by the Franciscan Friars Minor who changed the name and enlarged it. The 1931 sanctuary 1931 has 16th painting of St Francis by Bartolommeo Carducci Looted from church in Spain by Napoleon and brought to England and later loaned to the church. A new sanctuary was added in 1931 and in 1978 the sacristy was adapted to serve as a weekday chapel. The carved and painted Stations of the Cross date from 1932.
Jewson store. Site of congregational chapel. This originated in 1861, when an existing congregation planned a new church here but then withdrew. The scheme continued under William Settles, and a church was built in 1866. It was called 'Settles ‘Folly', but flourished. And Missions were opened. By 1941the congregation had dwindled and the main building was abandoned. In 1948 it was sold and became a furniture factory, but down in 1952, and demolished.
The Gurney School. A school for children unable to attend ordinary school for mental or physical was opened by the council in 1920. In 1949 it was renamed The Gurney School. It was designed for open air teaching, and in 1925 the Crosby Road open air school was opened on the same site for delicate girls and in 1932 it also took boys. It was closed in 1946 and all delicate children sent to Fyfield.
This area first developed as Maryland Point, described by Defoe as new' in the 1720s.
Police Horse Patrol Office. In the early 19th this was on the site later used by the church.
Trinity church. This stood on the north east corner with Forest Road and was founded in 1863 by Andrew Black, of the United Presbyterian Church. It was a brick and stone Gothic. From 1906 the church was declining, and in 1941 it was closed. The building became a factory and burnt down in 1953. A tower of flats and shops was built on the site in 1963
Church hall built in 1864 and survived after the church burnt down.
Sewer Vent Column. Large and ornamental; made by McFarlane, Saracen Foundry, Glasgow.
Time Spiral. This was originally to the alighted to the west of the Airy Meridian. It is by Malcolm Robertson as a focal point at the northern end of Stratford Interchange. The spiral was conceived around the theme of travel. The clock is central and originally proposed seating was replaced with mosaic designs showing the points of the compass and signs of the zodiac. It was moved here in 2010 because of the need for pedestrian access to the new Westfield Centre.
Maryland Station. The station lies between Manor Park and Stratford on the Great Eastern Railway. It was originally known as Maryland Point Station opened in 1873. It was rebuilt in 1891 when the line was quadrupled and called Maryland from 1940.
Cart and Horses. An early pub was on this site in 1805 moving here from a site in The Grove, and was rebuilt in 1880. The Iron Maiden band started here with their first gigs in 1976.
Manby Park Road
Public baths demolished 1936. Replaced by Boardman’s furniture depository. The site is now flats.
Matthews Park Avenue
Park Primary School. The primary school was opened in 1889, as a three-storey board school. It was reorganized in 1934 for juniors and infants.
All Saints Mission Hall built 1884. This is now the Chinese Ethics Association.
St. Francis's Roman Catholic primary school, originated about 1816, when the parish priest, opened a school in High Street, adjoining the Catholic Church. This school moved in 1870 to Grove Crescent Road, next to the new church there. Later the children moved to Park Avenue where the school remained there until the early 1970's when it moved to Maryland Park and became St. Francis Catholic Voluntary Aided Primary School. The film director Alfred Hitchcock attended this school
Romford Road is thought to preserve the line of one of the earliest Roman roads, which went from London to Colchester, the first Roman capital. There have been relevant finds outside the Fire Station in 1964, at number 30 in 1987 and Roman metalling has been found on the road
1-9 Young and Martin, builders’ merchants. This was on the corner site – roughly where the Ibis Hotel stands. There building was angled to the corner with ‘Caledonian Works’ wrote over the door and a Frieze over the first floor windows. There was a dome over the shop. Behind was their Caledonian Works. Founded in 1872 they made joinery and leaded lights and at one time special grates – and were large enough to have their own railway sidings.
2 St. John’s House. House built in the mid 19th in brick. Used as offices.
27 This was St John’s Institute, a club for working men. It was built 1904-5 by EM Thomas & Co to the design of W. Henden Winder. It has a decorative entrance bay with a small dome
30 The Old Dispensary. 18th timber-framed, weather boarded house. This was a Dispensary in the 1870s used by Dr William Elliott of the West Ham Union. It is now used as Council offices and a visitor centre
54- 56 houses from the mid 18th
58 the 19th property here was demolished and replica built in the 1990’s
60 - 62, early 19th semi-detached villas,
76 Vicarage Terrace was built in the early 19th
West Ham Technical Institute. This was built on Stratford Common, in 1895-8 by, Gibson and Russell, employed an eclectic, imposing mix of architectural styles. Every conceivable motif is used which is available. On the façade a frieze of figures illustrate science and the arts while Truth and Beauty carry the canopy to the main entrance. The Water Lane entrance was rebuilt following war damage Hall and has an eagle motif. Became North East London Polytechnic and now the University of East London.
Passmore Edwards Museum. This was opened in 1900 by the Countess of Warwick following an agreement between the West Ham Council and Essex Field Club. Passmore Edwards himself donated £3,000 and £1,000 and laid the foundation stone in 1900. The philanthropist is commemorated on a bronze panel by HC Fehr above the entrance. The Museum was closed in the 1990s and Essex Field Club exhibits were removed. It now houses the Student Union for the University of East London.
88 The original house here was demolished for the building of the West Ham electricity showrooms in 1930. West Ham Council obtained powers to supply electricity throughout the borough in 1892 and by 1926 had the largest municipal electricity undertaking in London. Electricity was promoted to attract new industry to the borough. They opened their s first electricity supply showrooms here in the 1920’s and replaced them 1927- 1930 by the office building which remains. This is now housing.
92 Highway Church. Highway’s origins date back to the 1880s where a series of ‘revival meetings’ were held in Stratford by the Americans D.L. Moody and I. Sankey. Out of this mission a conference hall was built in Bryant Street which was meant to remain a non-denominational mission to the East End of London. In the early 1930s Mr Leopold Harris, a managing director of a soap company, took over as Superintendant of the hall but left following a dispute about spiritual direction. He was asked to continue his interest with mission work and his group me met in various halls until they bought 90-92 Romford Road and Highway hall was built and opened in 1936.
Bow County Court. This was designed by H.M. Office of Works in 1957-9. The front is surmounted by the Royal Coat of Arms
110 this was a chapel for the Presbyterian Church of Wales (Calvinistic Methodists). It was built in 1894 and was closed after bombing in 1940. It later became a bedding factory.
110-118 this was Mattisons hotel bed factory on the site of a former chapel. Mattisons are now based in Ipswich and flats were built on the site in 2008
120 Pigeons Hotel. Was once called Two Pigeons. The pub had a drinking trough and water pump nearby and is shown on early maps as serving travellers and drovers. It was rebuilt in 1898 and, an engraved granite pillar says “Henry Poston Architect and C.E. Todd Builders here was a billiard saloon in the back and a British Billiard Champion played here. Rebuilt 1898. It is now a shop and flats.
117 Fire Station. This was built in 1964 to replace a predecessor at West Ham Town Hall.
West Ham Baths. This complex was opened in 1934 with three pools, Turkish baths and bathrooms. It was used for boxing, wrestling, dancing. It is now known as the Atherton Leisure Centre, been rebuilt and is run by Greenwich Leisure Ltd
70 Tennyson Stores. This was run as a pub in the 1940s.
School Buildings. This was originally Stratford grammar school which had originated in 1906 as West Ham Municipal Central Secondary (mixed) School opened here in buildings planned by the school board as a higher elementary school. Between the two world wars its reputation was very high and 'central' was dropped from its name in 1925. It was partly destroyed by bombing in 1941, and then renamed Stratford grammar school in 1945. In 1958 it moved and Stratford Green boys’ school was transferred to the site. This was closed in 1965. The buildings are now part of Newham College of Further Education.
37- 49 Headquarters of the Territorial Association. The "neo-Gothic" Artillery House and the barracks site has been covered by the expanded premises of the North East London Polytechnic, now University of East London. It began as Volunteer forces were raised during the Napoleonic Wars. At least seven batteries of artillery were stationed there from 1874 to 1964. The Artillery Depot remained here until 1960.
148 Goldengrove Wetherspoons' Pub opened in 1993. The name is a reference to a poem by Gerard Manley Hopkins.
121-123 Stratford Health Centre. Built in 1886 this was the James Dace, Piano warehouse, and in 1893 used by Joseph Young, pianoforte manufacturers, until about 1908 and from 1965-71 it was a store for Optical Products Ltd.
The Grove Picture Theatre opened in 1910. A central pay box had been added letting out onto the street, with entrance doors on each side. Alterations were made in 1929 by A. Smith and it was equipped for sound films. Known as the Grove Cinema, it went through several owners, closing in 1930. Always independently operated, the Grove Cinema was finally closed in 1940. It was used as a factory, and then stood derelict. In the late-1990’s, the building was restored and converted into a medical centre
119 The Lord Henniker Pub, also called the Coronet. This was a Charrington’s house which was there in 1862 and closed in 2003. The premises are now offices and shops.
109 Stratford Advice Arcade. Facilities under one roof. This was previously offices for North East London Polytechnic.
Stratford House. This stood on the site now covered by Great Eastern Road. Home of Lord Henniker, who was an extensive land-owner in the area. This house was "a substantial mansion” demolished in the 19th
87 The site it is under Morrison’s. But this was the birthplace in 1844 of Poet and Jesuit Gerard Manley Hopkins. He was born in 1844 at 87 The Grove, since bombed and demolished. There is a memorial to him unveiled in 1994 outside the Library – which quotes lines from “The Wreck of the Deuchesland” – the nuns commemorated in the poem were laid out in the Friary opposite and buried locally
Central Baptist church. The church was found in 1852. The land was bought for the church in 1854 and the church built. It has had twenty Ministers since its inception in 1852 and continues.
Methodist Church. In 1868 the Stratford circuit was founded and a church built in The Grove in 1871 plus a schoolroom in 1873. It was the leading Wesleyan church in the area for many years. The Stratford Conference Hall was built as a non-denominational space but in 1934 it joined the Methodists as part of the London Mission (West Ham). Both buildings were bombed in 1940 and demolished in 1953.
Gardens. There were originally gardens on the south side where a number of monuments stood. They have been replaced by Morrison’s and the Ibis Hotel.
Peace Sculpture. This is now outside Morrison's but it was originally in the gardens here. It was commissioned by the London Borough of Newham to commemorate the International Year of Peace in 1984. Three figures are together supporting the earth, Destroying any one would cause the world to fall.
Memorial to Edith S. Kerrison, the first woman to serve on the West Ham council. There is also a small inscription near the base saying that this monument is placed in a garden but it is now outside the library.
Newham Municipal Offices. These stood here from 1976 to 1997. It had a ziggurat shape as an attempt to break away from the monotony of some office architecture. It was designed by Kenneth Lund. Borough Architect for Newham. There were supposed to be two ziggurats but only one was built with an 80ft aluminum clad chimney behind. Demolished.
Sarah Bonnell Grammar School for Girls, dates from the 18th . In 1905 it moved from a site in West Ham Lane to a new school in the Grove, as West Ham High School for Girls. The school was destroyed by bombing during the Second World War and the school was relocated,
95 School Board offices. This building dated from 1897 as School Board Offices and also housed the Borough Treasurer's Department as well as the Education Department. Demolished.
Stratford Library. Built to replace the Water Lane Library and attract teenagers by playing lots of loud pop music.
Stratford Morrison’s supermarket160 The Friary. This was established in a pair of 19th houses behind St. Francis of Assisi church and facing The Grove. They were extended in Gothic style in 1876
Cut between Broadway and West Ham Lane for the trams. In 1903 West Ham Corporation took over all the North Metropolitan Tram Company's lines within the borough, extended and electrified them. A new road, Tramway Avenue, was cut through from the Broadway to West Ham Lane. In 1937–40 the trams were replaced by trolley buses, which remained in use until 1960.
St. Matthew’s church began around 1891, when the vicar of All Saints, opened a mission here. A flint and brick church was built in 1896. It is described as a church on the Evangelical wing of the Church of England
This was once known as Jackass Lane. The Vicarage for the parish church of All Saints was here until 1856.
59 Bay Tree Hotel. Pub dates back at least to the 1860s
Vicarage Lane Community Centre
Mission Hall. About 1900 St. Matthew's Church, Vaughan, opened a mission here. This was destroyed by bombing in the Second World War and the site was sold in 1951
Streimer (Nougat) Ltd. Nougat factory founded by a Morris Streimer, a Jewish immigrant from Austria. His works was originally in the High Street and Ward Road E.15. They moved to Victoria Street in 1936. The site is now flats.
57a Unitas Works, United Paint Co. Ltd. Thus company made a large range of paints emulsion, stone finish, gloss, etc. They were in which had once been stables and part of the complex owned by the North Metropolitan Tramways from the 1880's. It is said that some of the stable fittings were still in place. The site is now flats.
The site of the present University and Library complex, between Romford Road and The Green, was originally the broader westernmost end of a wedge-shaped piece of common land running along the northern side of Romford Road. The common was in the early 19th and was later known as Stratford Green. In the mid 19t this was a square area surrounded by a narrow belt of trees and containing a small pond
University of East London. The university has grown from locally based educational institutions. In 1892 the County Borough of West Ham established a technical institute which provided courses in science, engineering and art with University of London external degrees in science and engineering. Essex County Council established colleges in Walthamstow and Dagenham and in the 1970s the three colleges merged to create the North east London Polytechnic. In 1988, this became the Polytechnic of East London in 1989 and in 1992 the University of East London. It has gradually centralised its work around the Stratford area and the new Docklands campus while closing the old Essex sites. They have since got themselves a coat of arms and a set of ‘academic dress’.
Stratford ‘Campus’ University of East London. .In this area it is on the site of the barracks and Artillery House as well as some of the West Ham municipal buildings. It is centered around University House, which appears to be the buildings of the old West Ham Tec’. This has had a great deal of refurbishment and rebuilding which includes a new Library and Learning Centre, laboratories and computing facilities, and new buildings housing the Cass School of Education and Communities and the Centre for Clinical Education in Podiatry, Physiotherapy and Sports Science.
Stratford Library. The library was built by West Ham Borough Council and called Central Library, forming part of a complex comprising, library, Municipal College and the Passmore Edwards Museum. The funds used to build it were the excise duties from the ECA. There was a Competition for the building and it opened in 1898. It faces Water Lane with three semicircular pediments and a domed tower. Figures of children enliven its frieze. The Interior survives complete and the main space has decorative barrel roof and coloured plaster reliefs. The glass screens and bookshelves also survive. The woodwork was specially prepared in Aberdeen.
Shakespeare Statue. A Coade stone sculpture dated 1846, is believed to have been transferred from the Haymarket here in 1923
Estate agent’s shop – this was a single storey butchers shop and is thus decorated with stucco bull’s heads
Manby Arms pub
St. Helen's House. This had been founded in 1896 through St. Margaret's House, Bethnal Green. In 1931 it moved to Water Lane and After the Second World War was reconstituted as Dockland settlement No. 9. It was connected to the Tom Allen club and by 1969 St. Helen's House being their warden’s residence. It has since been demolished.
Water Lane board school. This was opened in 1897 and included a deaf and dumb centre, a pupil-teacher centre, and offices. It was reorganized in 1945 as a secondary modern school and eventually became part of Deanery High School, now Sarah Bonnell School.
This was previously called Union Road.
Brickfield House. This was founded in 1662 following demands for an oath of allegiance by Charles II in 1660. By 1672 there were two Presbyterian groups in Salway Place. In 1773 Negotiations began for land at 'Brickfields for Stratford Independent Church and a building and graveyard were opened in 1776. 1802 an Independent Girls School was opened. In 1875 they joined the London Congregational Union and the church was partly rebuilt in 1896. West Ham Council took over the graveyard in 1912 and then the chapel was badly damaged during the Second World War. After the war the membership shrank to only a few people but in 1986 the church was refurbished, the graveyard levelled and a Children’s Centre developed. A lot of work went in to getting converts and appealing to young people and into community interaction. However since 2008 the church is no longer used by United Reform members but by Portuguese and Kenyan congregations
Newham College of Further Education.This was established here by London Borough of Newham in 1985, the result of a merger between East Ham Technical College and West Ham Further Education College. The buildings are on the site of what were Stratford Green Boys School and predecessor schools based in Tennyson Road and also of West Ham College.
West Ham Lane
18 Stratford Police Station
25 Princess of Wales. Pub
29-35 East Thames Housing Group in new build offices. Originally this was East Thames Housing Association
44 This was an old police station, which became a lodging house. Since demolished.
Conference hall. This was on the site of the police station. It originated in 1884 as the result of a visit of the American evangelists Moody and Sankey. Subsequently the Young Men's Christian Association built a hall seating 1,600 on a site given by a Miss Eccles. in 1941 the main hall the main hall was destroyed in the blitz but in the early 1960s a small church was built behind the hall site.
Queen Mary's Hospital for the East End.The West Ham, Stratford and South Essex Dispensary was opened in July 1861 by a local doctor, William Elliot at 30 Romford Road given by Mrs. Curtis. These premises were top small and Mrs. Curtis then gave land in West Ham Lane. The new two storey Dispensary opened in 1879 with a consulting room, an ophthalmic dark room and a dispensing room. Funds were raised for a new building next door and The West Ham, Stratford and South Essex Hospital and Dispensary, was opened by the Duke of Westminster in 1890. It was to be used mainly for accident cases. The old Dispensary became the new Out-Patients Department. In 1894 John Passmore Edwards laid the foundation stone for a new wing having donated £3000 towards its costs. It was renamed West Ham Hospital and an annexe for nursing accommodation was added. In 1902 An X-ray apparatus was installed, and in 1903 electric lighting in the operating theatre. In July 1907 the Duchess of Malrborough laid the foundation stone for yet another extension. In 1909 it was renamed the West Ham and Eastern General Hospital and there were more extensions in 1912. In the Great War servicemen were treated and the hospital took over adjoining buildings. In 1917 it became Queen Mary's Hospital for the East End. Later an Out-Patients Department was opened as the War Memorial of the County Borough of West Ham. It was the largest war memorial of any kind in Great Britain, and the fourth largest Out-Patients' Department. Expansion continued. In the Second World War was evacuated and become a casualty hospital for air-raid casualties and servicemen. It was the first London hospital to be bombed. In 1948 the Hospital joined the NHS, under the control of the West Ham Group Hospital Management Committee. Queen Mary's Hospital finally closed in 1983, when Newham General Hospital opened. The buildings have all been demolished apart from the preserved entry archway in Bryant Street. The Out-Patients Department, built as a war memorial to the dead of the Great War has also gone and the dedicatory tablet is apparently lost. The site is now housing.
43 Transport and General Workers' Union building which was commissioned in the 1930s. It has a globe, on the roof designed to function as a beacon. As the building opened at the outbreak of World War II, the light was never lit. It was the principal offices of the Union in the East End and had offices, a Board room, branch rooms, and a hall – and an air raid shelter. The building is now used for training purposes and includes a nursery.
West Ham High School for Girls. Sarah Bonnell School for Girls dated from the 18th and had a school room near to West Ham church. Under a scheme of 1873, by the Endowed Schools Commissioners, it became the West Ham High School for Girls, and moved to new buildings in West Ham Lane in 1876. That site was sold to West Ham hospital in 1905 and the school moved to The Grove
St John’s Vicarage. This also stood here and was sold the Hospital in 1915.
Stratford Park – aka West Ham Recreation Ground. West Ham Lane Recreation Ground opened in stages between 1899 and 1912 as land was acquired. The section next to Whalebone Lane was land which had been attached to a house called Sonables which had belonged to the Archdeacon of Essex. The land was sold to West Ham Council in 1899. It was renamed Stratford Park in the late 1990s. The original layout of the Recreation Ground in 1899 is like the earlier Canning Town Recreation Ground designed by Fanny Wilkinson of the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association. The layout was based around bandstand in a circular paved area with curving paths radiated from it and a perimeter path flanked by trees. The bandstand has gone and in 2004/5 a new performance space was constructed. A fountain near the main entrance has been replaced granite fountain in a pool with modern cast iron railings around it. There was provision of a playground in the north corner and sports in the south, screened by trees and this remains with extensions and a modern pavilion north of the tennis courts. In 1973 a scented Garden for the Blind was opened. Stratford Park first won a Green Flag Award in 2004, and has kept this.Carpenters Company marker and their arms are displayed on it. It appears to be a boundary mark. The Carpenters Company originally owned a lot of land in Stratford. Sculptured bandstand/stage/walk-through sculpture. The tiled backing wall stands within a large circular area with low walls
West Ham Park
West Ham Park, is the largest park in the London Borough of Newham, and is owned and maintained by the City of London Corporation since 1874. Only a western portion appears in this square. The land was originally part of the Upton House estate, and was bought in 1762 by philanthropist Dr John Fothergill and used as a botanical garden. Later the Park was owned by the Gurney family and in the 1860s; local residents, the City of London and the family raised funds allow it to be preserved as a park. It was opened in 1874 by the Lord Mayor of London.
Cricket Square. Cricket has been played in the Park since 1874. There are two cricket squares, and one is for is youth matches
Linden Cottages. This replaced an earlier house with the same name which was damaged in the Second World War.
Football Pitches. Upton Park Football Club was an amateur club in who played their home games here and represented Great Britain in the 1900 Olympics, which they won. The club was wound up before the Great War.
Lucombe Oak. This is by Linden Gate near Ham Park Road. It is an evergreen tree with a bulbous trunk and one of the oldest trees in the park
This old pedestrian walk runs along the northern edge of West Ham Recreation Ground.
College Point. Tower block built 1967
AIM. Archives. Web site
British History on line. Stratford. Web site.
Bryant Street Methodist Church. Web site
Cinema Theatres Association. Newsletter
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Corporation of the City of London. Web site
Dodds. London Then,
East London Old and New
Field. London Place Names
London Borough of Newham. Web site.
London Gardens On Line. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London Web site
Newham Story. Web site
Sarah Bonnel School. Web site
St.Francis of Assisi. Web site
St. Matthews. Web site
Stratford Baptist Church. Web site.
Stratford’s Free Art and History. Web site.
The Highway. Web site
Walford. Highgate to the Lea
Walford. Village London