Great Eastern Railway to Ilford Cann Hall
The railway running from Maryland Station goes north eastwards
TQ 39156 84940
Urban area on the outskirts of Stratford and including many industrial sites. There are also cemeteries and hospitals.
Post to the south Stratford
Post to the west Hudson Town
43a this is now a housing area called Wilberforce Walk. It is on the site of Albert Cooperage Ltd. Who were a barrel manufacturing firm also making steel drums
This was originally Albert Road
Albert Works. In the 1920s this was A.D.Harris who made advertising tapes and string. The site is earlier marked as a saw mill. It was roughly on the site of today’s Carroll Close.
39 and 43 Chatsworth Road, Globe Foundry Stratford Ltd mechanical engineers.
14 this was The Steamship pub, Courage house which was there before 1861 and closed in around 2002. It is now a chicken shop.
Hibiscus Community Centre. This building was a Sunday School for the Strict Baptist Church in Gurney Road. It was built in 1903 and was used for services when the church was bombed during the Second World War. It is now in use as a community centre largely for Caribbean elders but is also used by the Moravian Church.
Jewish Cemetery. This is contiguous with West Ham Cemetery and founded in the same year. It was Founded in 1857 on land bought from Banker, Samuel Gurney, and Three-fifths of the ground opened by the New Synagogue, was subsequently conveyed to the Great Synagogue. At the north end of the cemetery, remains were reinterred from the Old Jewish Cemetery in Hoxton Street in 1960. It contains 4 Commonwealth burials of the Great War and 1 of the Second World War. There is also 1 German soldier and 2 interned German civilian burials. It also contains the grave of Cadeluc Jacobson, of Hanover, a Jewish survivor of the Battle of Waterloo. The Rothschild Mausoleum was erected for Evelina de Rothschild in 1866 by her husband after she had died in childbirth. It is a domed building by Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt. The original 1874 a prayer hall, has been demolished
Maryland Primary School. The School was opened here in 1968. The original Maryland School had been at Maryland Point. It was originally two separate schools – Infants and Juniors. In 1990 the two schools joined to become Maryland Primary School
Cann Hall Road
Cann Hall. The name appears on maps of the 1880s. Earlier ‘Cann Halle’ and ‘Canhall alias Cannon Hall’ . It refers to land ownership before the reformation by the canons of Holy Trinity Priory within Aldgate; a 12th Augustinian foundation. The hall and farm buildings were demolished in the late 19th
145 Colegrave Arms. This has now been converted into a mosque. It closed as a pub in 2010. This was a beer house before 1869 but had a full licence in 1886 and the pub was a Savills Brewery, Stratford, house later becoming Charrington’s. It kept its 1950s decor and three-bar layout until closure. The Cann Hall and Deen Education Trust bought it for a mosque and community centre.
Cann Hall and Harrow Green Baptist church. In 1878 a farmer in Cann Hall Lane allowed his workers to meet in his Barn for non-conformist worship. They, became known as the Christian Band. they bought land, and built a Church, which opened in June1887 as Cann Hall Baptist Church. A group left to become Harrow Green Baptist Church, but in 1976, they joined once more
Housing on the old distillery site
12 Traveller’s Rest. This pub is now housing
West Ham Cemetery. West Ham Burial Board was set up purchased land for its new cemetery in 1857 from Samuel Gurney. It was extended to its current size in 1871. In order to keep costs down the layout is a simple grid plan, and gravestones are set among grass. There is a Gothic ragstone chapel by T E Knightly but the non-conformist chapel has gone. There is a mock-Tudor lodge just inside the entrance gates. There are memorials to those who died in the sinking of the Princess Alice in 1878, and to firemen in the Silvertown Explosion of 1917. There are 136 Commonwealth military burials from Great War, 30 of them in the "Soldiers' Circle," on which a War Cross is erected. There are 78 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War and for each of the wars there is a Screen Wall with the names of those whose graves are not marked by headstones. there are a lot of mature trees, mostly common lime.
27 Chatsworth Arms Pub. This pub was rebuilt after the Second World War and closed in 2002 - it is now a community resource centre.
43 and 39 Ash Road Globe Foundry Stratford Ltd mechanical engineers. On site here before 1912. It was owned and started by William Harris and closed around 1954. There is now housing on the site.
One of the streets laid out on the Gurney Estate, c. 1870-90.
Earlham Primary School. This was opened in 1951
Whitechapel Union School. In 1854 Whitechapel Union bought land here for a school – it has been claimed that this was Woodgrange Manor, which had been bought in 1847 by Samuel Gurney and conveyed the land to the Whitechapel Board in 1852. It may however have been farmland. In 1890 there were 542 children there, In 1889 25 boys were suffocated in their beds , in a fire because they were locked in their dormitories. In 1897 the Whitechapel Union dissolved the Forest Gate School and Poplar Guardians partnership but Poplar Guardians used the school for destitute children until 1908 when it became part of the Poplar Union Workhouse. There had been three more incidents in which 40 children died. West Ham Union bought the school in 1913 and it became their workhouse infirmary.
Forest Gate Hospital. This was originally the Forest Gate Industrial School. In 1911 the building was bought by West Ham Union workhouse and re-opened as the Forest Gate Sick Home – with some beds for mentally handicapped people. In 1930 it was taken over by West Ham Borough Council and The main buildings became the Forest Gate Hospital, with beds for mental patients, chronic sick, and a maternity unit. the Hospital had direct hits from bombs in 1940 and many patients were evacuated to South Ockendon Colony In 1948 the Hospital joined the NHS and Further maternity wards were built in 1950. In 1974 it was renamed the Newham Maternity Hospital. It closed in 1985. The original building faces Forest Lane it was E-plan with a square porch beneath a shallow bow window but now only the facade remains and houses have been built on the site. The Lodge survives and is used community activities. Gladys Dimson House is one of the original maternity buildings now converted to housing. most of the site was developed as Forest Lane Park between 1991 and 1994.
Gladys Dimson House – this was the Forest Gate Industrial School and then the main block for the Hospital. It is now housing. It has a mid-19th institutional appearance, with the central block raised to form a tower
Industrial School infirmary. This is now housing
Lodge. At the entrance to the park
The Nurse. This is a statue made of oak, which stands by the pond - a reminder that the site used to be a hospital.
Forest Lane Park. The park surrounds the former Industrial School. This is a new park built on the site of the hospital which became redundant in 1984. The facade of the original building was retained and the park developed by Newham Council from 1991 with a lake, dipping pond, raised bed garden area, a small orchard with pear and cherry trees, woodland to the east, and a wildflower meadow. There are two sculptures by Helen Stylianides: 'Pulse of Life' and 'Guardian' carved from oak donated by Epping Forest
Maryland Early Years Centre. This is part of Maryland Primary School in a translucent building on a timber frame. so children can see the nuts and bolts of the building.
Stratford Strict Baptist Church. This opened in 1870, when a group led by James Mortar began to meet. In 1882, an iron church was built in Gurney Road. A permanent church was built, probably by Mortar, in 1885. It is now Grace Baptist Church.
Stratford Spiritualist Church (SNU). This was on the corner with Alfred Road and seems to have been demolished.
2 Mattesson Meats. Moved here in 1968. From the start there were complaints of smells. They also had a factory in the area in Manor Road, and are now based in Egham as part of Kerry Foods. The firm was founded in 1947 by Richard Mattes from a Rhineland sausage-making family. The company developed rapidly and Mattessons introduced many new products into Britain, the first pre-packed sliced meat for the nation in 1970 and the UK’s first pâté in 1971.
Janson Close. Local authority tower block, early 1960s
Seventh Day Adventist Church in what was St. Columba’s Church hall. The hall dated from 1898 and was designed by E.P.Warren..
31 Canons Court – site of St.Columba’s church. The church was, in Ravenstone Road – this road has gone and the area has been realigned but the church stood in a V the apex of which was a junction where Ravenstone Road met Devonshire Road and Janson Road. It had originated as an iron mission church under Holy Trinity church which opened in 1888. A permanent church which opened in 1894 was designed by E. P. Warren – with some later additions funded by the Misses Nutter. The church
was bombed in 1944 and remained as a ruin until demolished in the early 1950s. The site is now flats.
Leytonstone High Road
245 Thatched House Pub. This pub was also named All Seasons. It is now a betting shop
321 The Click. a modern movement style oval building By Van Heyningen & Howard, 2001 in White render windows. Originally used as an internet cafe it is now in other use.
Mosaic sign by Stewart Hale.
345 The Halfway House Pub. This pub was on site before 1872 and originally was a Mann, Crossman & Paulin house. It was a free house from 1997 and was named The Croppy Acre. Following police raids it closed in 2005. It is now a shop
100 this was Bedwell’s print works. Now a supermarket
Imperial Picture Palace. The Cinema was in a shopping and was converted from one of them by E.J. Jenner in 1910. It was closed in 1923 and later demolished. Henniker Point is now on the site.
Henniker Point. 23 storey tower block. It is 64m tall and was built 1969.
84-90 Dance Studio, gym and snooker club above shops.
83 Tavern Bar. This is also called The Glitter Ball. It was once the Royal Oak Pub and dates from at least the 1840s
82 Essex Arms Pub. This is now a shop
77 a cinema on this site was converted from a shop. It opened before 1909, and closed by 1910.
71 Marshall Taplow, Whitehall Distillery. This whisky distillery had been taken over by Saville Brothers of the Stratford Brewery in 1893 and with them became a subsidiary of Charrington's in the 1920s. A new head office was built here in the 1960s. What remains now are some arcaded walls.
46-48 A previous building on this site was the Royal Hotel. It is currently a vehicle electrical works
16 Yorkshire Grey. This pub was established before 1828 and was a Charrington’s house. It was later called The Charleston. It closed in the late 1990s and was demolished in 2005
11 The Hope Pub. The pub was also called Chevy Chase and closed in 2010.
St Francis Catholic Primary School. In 1970 St. Patrick's School and St. Vincent's School moved to Maryland Park and were amalgamated in 1992 to become St. Francis Catholic Voluntary Aided Primary School.
Tullet Tomlin and Co. Mineral Water Manufacturers from 1908.
Stratford Brewery. Savill Brothers ran this Brewery from 1856, becoming a limited company in 1893. They were taken over by Charringtons in 1925.
Linfoot Cooper Ltd. colour manufacturers were on site here 1934-37. They had originated in Bradford and Manchester making colours for the rubber industry.
J. W. & T.A. Smith, colour and pigment manufacturers (lead products department) Based at Imperial Colour Works in Old Ford Road and in Maryland Street 1938-63. The company was owned by Burrells and a Mr. Burrel was their managing director.
SCC Colours 1964-76. This pigment company was owned by Burrells
Burrells Colour Works. The buildings of the Stratford Brewery were taken over by Burrells, paint manufacturers of West Ferry Road from 1977 as part of their expansion programme. Some colours were thereafter made in Stratford.
Odessa Road School. In 1874 a Board School was built in Odessa Road. In 1945 the school was reorganised, for mixed juniors and infants. The site is now housing.
Church of Jesus Christ Apostolic. In an 1888 iron building
St James Road
St.James Church. This originated about 1870, as an iron building. A permanent church was completed in 1882. The organ came from the church of St. Matthew, Friday Street and is said to have been an 18th instrument by George England. The church was demolished in 1964. There is however a church building on the site now.
Housing on the site of Maryland Works. This – one of several ‘Maryland Works; in the area - appears to be the works of building and engineering contractors J.T.Luton & Sons, originating in 1897 as A.G.Luton. The company appears to have moved to Snaresbrook and been wound up in 2000.
Tower Hamlets Road
83 Tower Hamlets Arms. This dated from at least the 1870s and is now closed and converted to flats.
112 block of flats – assume this is a building connected with Forest Gate Hospital or the industrial school which preceded it. Dates from the 1890s and clearly had a large painted sign on the south facing wall.
Tents and Nissen huts. Maps post Second World War show that housing had gone from much of the road. This seems to have been replaced by temporary accommodation for Italian and German prisoners of war.
Jenny Hammond Primary School. Board School of 1882 on a half-H plan Built by Wanstead School Board. Jenny Hammond was Mayor of Leyton 1942-43. She was an active councillor for 35 years and campaigned for just causes throughout her life
Cann Hall and Harrow Green Baptist Church. Web site.
Cinema Theatres Association. Newsletter
Cinema Treasures. Web site
East London History Society Newsletter
London Borough of Newham. Web site
London Borough of Waltham Forest. Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
Lost Pubs Project. Web site
Maryland Primary School. Web site
Nature Conservation in Newham
Victoria County History. Leytonstone
Walford. Highgate to the Lea