Gade flows southwards
Post to the north Abbots Langley
Post to the south Hunton Bridge Interchange
Post to the west Langleybury
Old School House. This old school is now
offices. It was built in 1858 as a National School with funds provided by W.J.
Loyd of Langleybury House and converted in 1974. It is in knapped flint in Gothic
Revival Style. On the roof is a
triangular bellcote, with a spire and, weathervane. It was replaced by a modern
school which is now St Paul's Church of England Primary
Master’s House – this is at the back of the school building
on the site of the Carlsberg Tetley Depot from the
late 18th century a malt house stood alongside the Gade. It became part of
Benskins Brewery and was used as a depot by them. Benskins became Ind Coope, then Allied Breweries, and then
Carlsberg-Tetley, and Carlsberg UK who continued to operate the site as a
depot. It has since been sold and developed for housing.
Arms. This pub was associated with the malting and was in an 18th
house known as The Limes. The pub closed in 1963 and the house continued to be
used as part of the Carlsberg depot. Because of its deterioration it was rebuilt in its original location as part of the
housing development. .
Road Waterworks. George Turnbull of Rosehill initiated and was Chairman of the
Hunton Bridge and Abbot’s Langley Water-works Company. It was taken over by the
Rickmansworth and Uxbridge Valley Water in 1901 and in 1934 a Paxman oil engine
installed. It is now a pumping station from a number
of chalk boreholes operated by Affinity.
It was operated by the Three Valleys Water Co which was set up in 1994 with the Rickmansworth
& Uxbridge Company as a constituent part. It was later taken over by the
French company. Veolia now Affinity
house remaining from Huntonbridge Wharf building. It is 18th and now
wharf. A coal wharf was established about 100 years after the opening of the
canal, and this had a tramway, a warehouse and managers dwelling. In 1910 this
was let to Collis, Taylor, King & Co. by the Canal Company which owned it.
When the wharf closed it became a factory premises and in the 1940s was used by
Stanhope Box Manufacturers of Bow.
Baptist Chapel which in the 1930s was a free church. It is now a Stained Glass
studio founded in the 1970s by ex-workers from Whitefriars Glass. They
specialise in pictorial and decorative stained glass.
Bridge Gas Works this lay alongside the railway and had bee n initiated by George
Turnbull of Rosehill before 1880. Taken over by Hemel Hempstead District Gas
Co. in 1901
Kings Head - this has also been known as the Waterside Tavern. It is a 300 year
old now used as a restaurant and bar made up from several buildings. There are stables
once used for canal horses, now a coffee bar.
St.Paul’s Hall. This was previously
located on the other side of the road next to the railway. It is now in private
28 The Kings Lodge. This is said to have been built in
1642 as a hunting lodge for King Charles I and later known as Lawn House. There
is there is early
17th plasterwork and the Stuart Royal Arms with 'C R' and '1642' on chimney a
breast plus a flanking lion, unicorn and fleur-de-lys with vine scroll border. It
is now a hotel and restaurant
Bridge. The original structure was demolished in 1932 and replaced with a reinforced
concrete skew arch bridge. Some of the existing structure was demolished in
1983 due a road accident
Bridge. A bridge here is first recorded in 1433
telephone box near junction with Old Mill Road Designed 1935 by Giles Gilbert
Way Playing Field. Used by the Evergreen Football Club.
Park. House built in 1909 by Hubbard and Moore for Rev. H.S. Gladstone in brown
brick and in Queen Anne Style. It replaced
Hazelwood, built in 1810 which had been burnt down. Hazelwood was built by Henry Botham as a country residence and this included a
large park. In 1850 it was owned by Sir Henry Robinson Montagu, the followed by
others and then in the early 20th, Henry Stewart Gladstone. In 1930, the house
was sold to Francis Edwin Fisher, and among the short-term occupants was Emperor
Haile Selassie until it was bought by the owner of De Vere. There is now a
conservatory and a gazebo in garden walls. It was previously known as Hazelwood
House. It is now offices and an entertainment complex owned by De Veres and the
landscaped gardens include a putting green, swimming pool, croquet lawn and
1810 the turnpike had run along Gypsy Lane and Upper Highway. It was then
re-routed. It is now blocked off at the south end just over the railway bridge
Lodge. This was built as a gate lodge to Hazelwood and thought to date to the
late 1860s. It was extended after 1960.
powered pump. This is hidden in undergrowth beside the towpath and is the remains
of a waterwheel which pumped water to nearby Langleybury. The wooden waterwheel
has gone, leaving the axle and an iron pit wheel amidst the remains of the pump
house which is a corrugated iron structure
Bridge road bridge
Bridge Top Lock
Bridge Bottom Lock
West Herts Narrowboat Project Winding hole
water along the canal – these are used by local fishermen the northern one is
Astra Pound and the lower one Ovaltine Pound.
Narrow bridge.This was part of the original railway infrastructure. The height
restriction is 11' 6" so high vehicles have to pass in the centre of the
bridge, thus there is a white arrow in the road. On the side is a pedestrian
tunnel with a mural panting inside – this subway dates from 1966 when it was
pushed through for safety reasons.
Church of England. 1865 designed by H.Woodyer who also was responsible for the stone
reredos, pulpit, screen and the font. It has a very ornamental chancel arch
much embellished, along with the rest of the interior, with angels. There is a
tall shingled wooden broach spire on top of the tower.
Loyd Memorial Cross. This is to W.J. Loyd who paid for the
church and who died in 1885. It was given by his son L.V. Loyd. It is in marble
with an inscription and panels with figures of apostles.
Built in 1863-5 by H. Woodyer. It is in timber with a tiled roof.
There are two Commonwealth war graves. Grave of Ruddy Faulkner a coach driver
on the London to Brighton run, with a milestone on the grave
1810 the Sparrows Herne turnpike was rerouted from Gypsy Lane to this road and
then went up the hill to connect with Upper Highway. In 1826 it was again rerouted
along what became the A41 to avoid Hunton Bridge Hill.
office building which reproduces the building form of a farrier’s building and
forge which stood there are one time.
Dog and Partridge Pub
Bridge Mill. There was a mill on the River Gade from at least the late 18th,
apparently milling corn. It may however have been a ‘Kings Mill’ in the
16th. In the late 19th it was owned by Littleboy and
Proctor and had eight stones but declining power from the Gade. There
is a cut between it and the Grand Union Canal and which reaches as far as Old
Old Mill House. A building called the Old Mill House is now residential
accommodation on the mill site.
West Herts Narrowboat Project. Set up in 1987 to provide narrowboat use and
training for young people
is the line of the old main road replaced by the A41
27 Endways. House divided into two. It is 17th with a timber frame
with whitewashed and rendered brick infill
Anne Cottage- Elizabeth Cottage. Two houses which were once three, these are 18th
in red brick.
A highwayman was said to have been hanged opposite
the Unicorn inn and, according to custom, was buried at the nearest crossroads;
in this case where Upper Highway crossed Hunter Lane and Hunton Bridge Hill. In
1930 the coffin was found and reburied near the churchyard.
is on a piece of ground adjacent to but outside the churchyard. It is granite
cross surrounded by a metal link fence. The inscription for the Great War is on
the front and the Second World War is on the side. Every year the Air Training Corps, Herts & Bucks Wing hold a service at the church and a parade to commemorate the Battle of Britain.
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Canalplan. Web site
Chelsea Speleological Society Newsletter
English Heritage Web site.
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Hunton Bridge. Wikipedia Web site
Kings Head, Web site
Kings Lodge. Web site
National Archives. Web site
Report of Royal Commission into
Metropolitan Water Supply
Roads and Road Construction
Roll of Honour. Web site
Three Rivers Council. Web site