The Gade flows
A semi rural area between Abbotts Langley and Hemel Hempstead. Crossed by the canal, the Gade and the railway - which has original bridges. The area includes pubs, sports grounds and angling facilities.
Post to the north Abbot's Hill
Post to the south Kings Langley
For most of this
square the canal is also the Gade, which was reconstructed when he canal was
Skew Railway Bridge. This was built in 1837
under Robert Stephenson, as engineer, for the London and Birmingham Railway. It
was an Iron bridge originally but reinforced in concrete in the 20th. The arch
has a 20m span and some of original iron spandrels are visible.
At 13 ft. This bridge is thought to be exceptionally low. It has a bracket waymark
on the south side.
Pretender. This is a Premier Inn Hotel, previously called Millers. It seems to be in an early 20th
house called Whitlars, which became the Langley Hotel.
Methodist Church. Built in 1925.
Gaywoods Park Football Ground. Gaywoods are a local firm of demolition and other contractors
Footpath to a
passage under the railway line, leading eventually to Hartshall Lane
69 The Old
Chapel. 1875. This was a Baptist chapel, disused for worship before 1939 and
replaced by Christ Church at The Nap.
Bridge. This carries the railway over the road. It was built in 1837 when
Robert Stephenson was engineer to the London and Birmingham Railway. It has a brick
skew arch with stone facings.
County Council Transport Depot
7 Railway Arms.
This is now a private house but the gantry for the inn signs remains outside.
Pool. Used by Kings
Langley Angling Society
Woodlands Farm. Once a pig and poultry farm this is now
used for sheep
British Listed Buildings. Web
Canalplan. Web site
Kings Langley History Society.
Kings Langley Methodist Church.
Three Rivers Council. Web site,.
Watford Observer. Web site
Waymarking. Web site
World Low Bridges. Web site
Young Pretender. Web site