Gade flows southwards and is joined by the Grand Union Canal from the west
which also leaves it to the east
Post to the north Hemel Hempstead
Post to the west Boxmoor
Post to the south Two Waters
Methodist chapel built here in 1861 just off the eastern side of Lower Marlowes
but the society seems to have quite collapsed
quite quickly. By 1883 the building WAS occupied by the Salvation Army and
known as the “Old Glory Shop”. The Salvation Army moved in 1908 and building
became Hemel Hempstead’s first cinema, the Electric Theatre in 1909. A new stage
at the back was added in 1912 but by 1916 it was no longer licensed. The
building was further enlarged and re-opened wharfas the Aero in 1920. This closed in
1925. Then it was used as a printing works and had been demolished by 1968. The
Marlowes Shopping Centre now covers its former site somewhere in the vicinity
of the unit now occupied by River Island.
Statue. The discobolus was originally planned to go
here but is now in the gardens. Bank
Court was then a small semi circle off Waterhouse Street
National Westminster Bank
Memorial to PC Frank Mason of the
dead when he intervened in an armed robbery while off duty in 1988.
Iron Works. The works was on the site now covered by Bank Court with a large
yard between Marlowes and the river. It was founded by James Davis and made agricultural implements. By 1886, the business was
known as Davis and Lane and later Davis and Bailey. The foundry was rebuilt
around 1870. There was a house for the works manger, blacksmiths, carpentry and
a large foundry. After the Second World War the firm was gradually run down and
closed with Mr. Bailey's death in 1949. The beam engine was taken by the
Much of the land in the south part of this square
is owned and managed by the Boxmoor Trust. This was set up in 1594 when land
was purchased to keep it in common ownership. It is run by an elected body of
by the Boxmoor Trust in the north bank of the Grand Union Canal. Sale of land
to the canal company financed the trust to build Boxmoor Wharf. Boxmoor Wharf. Income from the wharf’s went to towards poor relief. The wharf then became the main coal wharf
serving the town. There were once two basins on the north side of the canal
here. They had been infilled by the 1960s.
Wharf – Henry Balderson was a coal and coke merchant 1900s. He was Mayor of the
Borough of Hemel Hempstead in 1900. He also used the wharf to import wines and
There had been a pool here filled in when the wharf was leased to Rose's who shipped raw lime juice from London direct to
the wharf and the smell was well known locally, The barrels had to be sprayed
with water to prevent drying out. This closed in 1981.
Timber Yard. This stood on the more easterly of the basins and adjacent to Lawn
Lane. Lavers began in business 1868 in London with a tea shop then rented a
yard at Fishery Wharf in this area and then moved to this site. They imported
timber which was brought here by barge on the canal. A saw mill replaced by
modern machinery, but they still used steam even in 1914. A separate channel led to their wharf
B and Q. Since
1986 it has been leased to B and Q
of early demolition for redevelopment of the new town
parks, parallel to the Water Gardens as part of the new town development. They
are divided from the gardens by a bank made up of material dredged from the
to be on the line of the driveway to Corner Hall although map evidence seems to
suggest that it covers the north and east boundary lines. The road and others
were in place before 1940.
Cottage. 17th or earlier. Whitewashed pebble dash
17th or earlier building with whitewashed pebbledash
building in pebbledash
Gables. Home of Sanguinetti family in
1906. Built in the 15th it
has been described as a pilgrim rest house. Currently used as offices.
– this was there in the 1860s
Hall – a close of new buildings between Lawn Lane and Corner Hall (road) are
now also called Corner Hall. This is on land once used by a variety of
industries including a cardboard box factory and now office and light
is an old road paralleling Marlowes on the west side of the valley. The
derivation of the name is not known
Spotted Cow pub. Demolished.
Inn. Closed and gone
rail depot and sidings. These were served by a line running north from Heath
Park Halt and were on the east side of the road. The depot handed coal and London sweepings to
be used as fertiliser by farmers.
roads to the north west of the lane have been built on the sites of the schools
and the football ground, but appear to have changed layout and names more than
once since construction. Old maps show a
chalk pit and a clump of trees on areas now built on.
Hall Primary School. This site is now housing. The school was there from
sometime in the 1930s until the 1960s
Hall Boys School. This site is now housing. The school was there from sometime
in the 1930s until the 1960s
Lane Football Ground, more commonly known as Crabtree Lane. This was home to
Hemel Hempstead Football Club where they remained until 1972. The ground was taken over by the Development
Corporation for housing.
Grand Union Canal
was originally built as the Grand Junction Canal. It opened in 1804, following the line of the Sparrows Herne turnpike road
to the south.
Bottom Lock No 64. A low wall with railings here marks the site of a demolished lock cottage which GJC had been changed to GUC
Baths - site of public baths, Boxmoor Baths were built by the Boxmoor Trust in 1840. It used canal water and lasted until 1937. The pool was built in a hole left by the removal of clay for puddling the canal and it was eventually filled in in 1942 with spoil from the widening of Box Lane. Another hole alongside was used for a private pool.
Bottom Lock Winding Hole
Heath Brow Lane
on the site of a Vicarage and its gardens
Lane Children’s Centre. Opened in 2007
Hall. This was a private house until the early 20th but became a
private girls' school before demolition. Part of the estate of South Hall house
became an annex for the Grammar school opposite.
Lodge. South Lodge, on the corner of Charles Street, was once used as
accommodation by the teachers for Lockers Park School.
Hill Primary School. Built in the grounds of South Hall in 1951.
Brow School. This was on a site roughly now occupied by Heath Brow Lane which itself
is near the site of Hillside, a private house.
The house was used by Montagu Draper, from 1872 -1874, before the school
at Lockers Park was ready to be used. It later was used by Walter Dowling as
Heath Brow College, Heath Park School or Boxmoor School. This was a ‘classical
and commercial Grammar school’.
This has now been demolished
Hempstead School. Hemel Hempstead Grammar School was built in the 1930s. It
later became a Comprehensive School
– Dacorum Sports Centre
Lane Cemetery. The Cemetery was opened in 1878 and was
the first municipal cemetery in the area. It had two chapels, now disused and there
are also some war graves. There are also a large number of redwood trees
King Harry Street
southern end of this road is now a gated way through the backs of shops and
flats. It seems earlier to have been a lane at the backs of houses, passing the
grounds of St Bernard’s Villa and the southern end blocked by the railway line.
Alley. This was Ambassador Lanes in the 1960s
Colour washed pebbledash house
Hall. The original house was on the opposite side of the road – on the east
side. It was gone by the 1930s
Fire Systems – make sprinklers
In the 1870s this stood as one of the buildings on Boxmoor wharf
Leighton Buzzard Road
Plough. This pub once stood at the junction of Station Road
and Leighton Buzzard Road and was the pub after which the roundabout was
originally named. It dated from at least the 19th but was demolished
when the roundabout was built.
Morland Bridge. This is a single span cable stay bridge across the Leighton
Buzzard road with a span of 39m. A plaque mid span to says 'Dedicated to Alfie
Morland 2007'. Alfie was a child who died and whose parents began fund raising
for a brain tumour trust
parks parallel to the west side of the road were part of the original water gardens
official name of the roundabout is The Plough Roundabout. It was built in 1973 to reduce problems at this intersection of seven
roads. At the junction of each road with the roundabout there is a
mini-roundabout and between them traffic can go clockwise or anti-clockwise
around the main roundabout. The river Gade passes through the centre of it. A
subway runs from Heath Park Gardens round the west side of the roundabout to
the town centre riverside area
Stages in the Development of Man. this stone mural by Alfred Gerard was installed in 1955 and is in
the corner of Bridge Street, It consists of four wall panels built into the end
façade of a building. Made from Portland stone the four panels portray man in
different ways, ‘Man The Town Dweller’, ‘Man The Machine User’ ‘Pastoral Man’
and ‘Man The hunter’.
Water Play, a fountain, with Bronze sculpture of three
children by Michael Rizzelo. Installed in 1993
A bronze relief map depicting Hemel Hempstead as it was in
1947. The designer was Graham Thompson and the sculptor was John Ravera.
The Residents' Rainbow, a concrete and glass rainbow sculpture. It is on a grassy bank and
symbolises the aspirations of the first people who moved to the new town after
the Second World War. It was unveiled in 1993 by its American Sculptor, Colin
Lambert. It has become an unofficial war memorial.
Town Growth. This steel tree was designed by Peter Parkinson and created by
Richard Quinnell. Each panel represents a different aspect of Hemel Hempstead's
past and present
Bridge. This was a local landmark on the Hemel Hempstead and Harpenden Railway
which closed in 1959. The bridge was blown up at midnight on 6th
House, later known as BP House. This was a14 storey block by Maurice Bebb built
in 1961 and partly used by BP. At had a sinuous a bridge-like range which crossed Marlowes and was built on the site of the old railway viaduct following the railway
line. The office building was designed to create a similar skyline as the
viaduct. A Univac
1006 was installed on the 1st floor as part of the BP Shell Mex southern
computer centre. In the early 1980s it was discovered
that the building was subsiding and it was subsequently vacated and demolished. Debenhams now
on the site
Waggon and Horses Pub was at the entrance to Marlowes. It dated from the mid
19th as a beer house. The site was sold in 1898 and the pub was bought by Harpenden
brewers, Glover and Sons. It was rebuilt in the 1930s and sited behind a
forecourt. It was demolished in 1989 for a lakeside shopping development
Square’ - so called because the roads and alleys of that time made up a square,
each side of which was equivalent to one league.
VIII pub. This was on the site of Bank Court and demolished in 1950s
Quality House. Co-op. at one time this was Hemel’s only department store. It is
Cinema. Opened in 1926 and called ‘New Aero’ to replace the closed cinema on
Albion Hill. It reopened as the Luxor in
1930 and was converted for talkies. There were also live shows. It closed in
1959 and was demolished in 1960.
Mill. This stood near where the railway crossed the road
Moor End Road
Double-helix public car park which stood on the
roundabout next to the BP building. This had four storeys with a coloured ball
on the top. It has since been demolished
Industrial and trading area
Royal Mail depot. Now demolished
building at the entrance to the town centre. This was built in 1952 by M.J.Bebb
in precast concrete. It was the first new building in the new town centre. It
was in three storeys with a recessed fourth storey. Called Hempstead House it remains in office
St John's Road
Seattle Steak House. Previously Ye Olde Projectionist with cinema memorabilia
Hall. Boxmoor Arts Centre for Young People and Drama School. Boxmoor Hall was built in 1889 from surplus funds by the
Boxmoor Trust. It has been used as a
magistrate’s court, more recently as a local authority arts centre. Since 2007
it has been privately owned as a performing arts centre.
Barn, this was once Heath Farm and is now a 17th barn and farm
complex. In the early 20th it
was the home of writer Col.Brereton and before that a private school. It us now a music centre for Hemel Hempstead
Playhouse. Owned by the Hemel Hempstead theatre Company, originally the Hemel
Hempstead Amateur Operatic and Dramatic Society) since 1997. The company dates
from 1925. The building was previously
St. John’s Hall.
Boxmoor Cricket Club. Permission was given by the Boxmoor Trust for cricket to be
played on the ‘moor’ in 1857 but not on Sundays until 1960. A pavilion was built in 1962 but they were burnt down in 1971. They were
rebuilt and replaced in 1983.
Hemel Hempstead Cricket Club founded 1850. Sticky
Wicket Café and Pavilion.
memorial. This is a stone cross on a four-sided plinth. The memorial was moved
here from the road junction now covered by the magic roundabout. The land it
stands on belongs to the Boxmoor Trust but administered by Dacorum local
Moor. This is on the west bank of the Gade and north of the canal. This is parkland with scattered trees including horse chestnut and lime trees
along the channel.
Moor. This is the open area west of the church. Owned by the Boxmoor Trust. This is parkland with scattered trees. There are horse chestnut trees along a
path and in the north boundary. There is also lime and sycamore trees near the
buildings; ash and copper beech near the cricket pitch and pediculate oak,
walnut, alder and weeping willow near the canal
An iron gas lamp stood opposite the station. This remained
outside the Heath Park Hotel
Tank - In 1920, Hemel Hempstead was given a tank by the
National War Savings Committee. It then
stood on a plinth outside the Heath Park Hotel and was sold for scrap in the
and Lamp' Joseph Cranston 1835 St Johns Road
known as Moor End
Moor. This is the area between the canal and the River Bulborne and west of Station
Road. It is owned by the Boxmoor Trust. This is
grazed grassland with horse chestnuts along avenues and some ash and sycamore
Park. The land it stands on belongs to the Boxmoor Trust but administered by
Dacorum local authority. Along the southern edge of the
Hemel Hempstead Cricket Club are Lombardy poplars. There is also ash, crack
willow, sycamore, lime, horse chestnut, and mature elms. Ivy covers the ground.
A path from Two Waters Road once led to a bandstand. This was erected by Hemel Hempstead
Borough Council who originally owned the area in the 1920s. There was also a
children's playground near to where the Kodak building now stands. These were
removed when the New Town was developed in the 1950s.
Park Gardens. This is the area west of the River Gade and Two Waters Road,
north of the Canal and south of Station Road. It is owned by the Boxmoor Trust.
It is a small formal park with bedding displays and a rose
garden. There are some derelict benches and a grim subway to the town centre. There
is formal tree planting and mown grass. Trees include Norway maple, white beams,
horse chestnut and lime. The River Gade goes through the park in a hard edge
Johns the Evangelist Church. Built in 1874 situated off Blackbirds Moor. It includes a memorial chapel. The church has
been involved in a charity- Music at St. John’s- and has a new Nicholson organ. designed by Norman Shaw. Church has two aisles and the nave was extended in 1893:
there is a turret above. It replaced a Chapel of Ease from 1829.
Tower. KD tower the EMEA headquarters of Kodak Eastman which was built in the
1960s. It was designed by Sir Thomas Bennett KBE FRIBA and supported by a
design team which included Edward Winkless FRIBA. It was built on Boxmoor Trust
land. Kodak vacated the building in 2005 and it was bought by Dandara, a
property development company. It is now housing and the height increased from
20 floors to 22 floors.
statue. This was a monument of Balzac which stood outside the Kodak Tower. It
had been designed in 1898 but had been rejected by the commissioning body. Versions of it were cast in the 1930s and this
one cast in bronze in 1971. Kodak sold it to an unknown buyer in the 1990s.
Heath Park Halt.
This station was the terminus for passenger
services on the line from Harpenden from 1905 when the line was extended from
Hemel Hempstead town centre. Passenger services were withdrawn in 1947, and the
station closed and demolished with the line in 1960.The station was on an
embankment above the junction of Station Road and Corner Hall Road.
Two Waters Road
Hand Car Wash
The Water Gardens. This was built in the late 1950s by
Geoffrey Jellicoe as part of the New Town project. This square relates to the
southern portion. The river Gade was canalized in part to represent a serpent,
of which the lake was the head.
Formal garden – set opposite Bank Square in order to
complement it it is on a slope and planted are in a grid of paths
with seating. It includes pleached limes at
either end and yew which have survived with some willows. It is supposed to repreent a Howdah on the serfpengts back
Bridges – bridges over the canal are the straps
holding the howdah on the serpent’s back
Lovers Walk – the winds down the west side of the
Gade and includes dense self-planted woodland.
Kangaroo, Joey and Platypus sculpture by John Dowie. The
group was presented to the town by Elizabeth, South Australia in 1963. It was originally
put in Albion Court, and when that was demolished removed to the Water Gardens.
Discobolus: The Discus Thrower. This is a bronze casting copying
a 5th Greek marble sculpture. It was bought by the Hemel Hempstead Development
Corporation at an auction in 1960. Before that it had been in the driveway of
Amersfoot, in Potten End. It is thought the statue originated in Africa.
designed as the head of the serpent. The original lighting was destroyed by the
swans. Irises were dealt with likewise.
and Roll. This is the Spirit of the Dance by Huber
Yencesse. It was suggested and donated by the Chairman of the Corporation Henry
Wells. Jellicoe thought it should be in the
water rather than Bank Square where it stood originally. He thought it should
be wet and glistening and represent flies on the surface of the serpent.
Jellicoe specified this should reach 40 feet but
cost savings meant it was only 20 feet high.
and trading area.
Alfie Morland Trust. Web site
Boxmoor Cricket Club. Web site
Boxmoor Playhouse. Web site
Boxmoor Trust. Web site
Canalplan. Web site
Dacorum Council. Web site
Dacorum Heritage. Web site
Dacorum History Digest. Web site
Disused Stations. Web site
Hemel Hempstead School. Web site
Hertfordshire Cinemas. Web site
Hertfordshire County Council. Web site
Heath Park Halt. Wikipedia. Web site
Lost Pubs Project. Web site
My Primitive Methodists. Web site
Nobbs. A walk along the canal towpath
Oldendaysbp. Web site
Our Dacorum. Web site
Primark. Web site
Roll of Honour. Web site
St. John’s Church. Web site