Bulbourne flows south eastwards
Post to the north Northchurch
Post to the east Gossoms
Farm. This was on the corner with Covert Road. Buildings on the site appear to
be a conversation of stable and other building.
Ditch. A 210m Long Section Immediately North West of Woodcock Hill
Northchurch Social Centre, run by The Northchurch and
District Association. At a public meeting held by the Rector in 1962, it was
agreed that a new hall was needed. Money was collected door to door and in 1965
the site was acquired and the centre built with the addition of grant money. Everyone
over 18 in Northchurch and the Western part of Berkhampstead are automatically
Burial Ground. This was the site of a Baptist chapel
built in 1840 which grew until by the late 1870s it has a schoolroom and
vestry. It was demolished in 1920.
Bell Lane Cottages. Built in the 1920s-30s
Mechanics Institute, this was on
the north corner with Alma Road. It was later known as the Technical School and
built around 1902. During the war it was an evacuee’s boy’s school, housing
some 150 boys.
and trading area
Meadows Recreation Ground
was one of the manorial holdings of Berkhampstead and this was a gated road up
Hill. The estate existed by the 19th and the house was built by
Frank Moore in the late 1840s. In 1911 it was owned by Robert Mcvitie – who could
get a direct train to his biscuit factory in Willesden
Dell. In the late 19th this was a small wood over an old chalk pit.
A 17th owner was a Mr. Cock.
Lock No 50. Also known as Awkward Billy Lock or Crooked Billet Lock
– this is the old A41 now bypassed to the south. It was previously part of the
Sparrows Herne turnpike road but originally pre-Roman and Roman Akeman Street.
Baptist Church. The church had been based in a chapel in Bell Lane which by the 1890s was too small. The
present building was constructed in 1900 and a hall
extension opened in 1987. In 2004, the congregation bought Cherry Tree Cottage
17th houses in colour washed brick,
84 - 96
North Church Almshouses or Church Houses. They are 15th or 16th timber framed buildings
with an over sailing 1st floor and colour washed brick nogging. There is also a
Churchyard wing which is
later with 19th bargeboards
Saint George and the Dragon Public House. Part of late 16th timber framed house
on the east side with framework exposed. Joined on the west side by an 18th
brick house. Said to be haunted by one of the ex-regulars. The pub has an
extant Benskins Brewery plaque by the door.
Rosemary Cottage. 16th or early 17th. Timber framed brick house. Once called
Exhims. House in brown brick. Considerable extensions at the back, now Exhims
Grey Mare Pub, this has been demolished and replaced by a block of flats called
Barnet House. The sign board remains
Church. The parish church has a Saxon origin and is one of the
oldest churches in Hertfordshire. There are Saxon remains in the south and west
walls and flint wall extensions were built before the 14th centuries. It is
thought that the nearness of the Danelaw boundary led to the Saxon building
being reinforced in stone with one single entrance. A stone-faced tower was
added in the 15th with a stair turret and in the 1880s an, aisle, vestries and a porch. The octagonal
font and piscina are 15th and there is a 14th chest. A brass tablet
in the church commemorates Peter the Wild Boy. A white ensign in the church was
presented when the war memorial was dedicated.
A gravestone of Peter the Wild Boy. War
Memorial. This was an early dedication and some names are duplicated on the Berkhampstead
memorial as parish boundaries had changed. In the early 1960’s a crack was found
and to preserve the names inscribed on the memorial's base it was decided
to remove the cross and re-erect it on a new base. The original base remains
but was moved nearer the churchyard wall
Northchurch Hall. Brick and timber house, once a
farm-house, enlarged in 1760 by William Duncombe. It appears to have disappeared in the early
1960s and replaced with terraced housing.
Durrants Farm - site of farm which replaced the manorial holding of Durrants
Marys Church of England School. The school is
adjacent to the church dates from 1864. It was built on land given by Earl
Brownlow of the nearby Ashridge Estate and extended in the 20th.
Church Hall, alongside and accessed via the school.
and Trading Estate
Waste Disposal and Recycling Facility
is thought to be an older settlement than Berkhampstead but that the focus of
the area moved eastwards after the castle was built. It has been known as
Northchurch tunnel. 355 yard long, built in the 1830s on the
London and Birmingham Railway. It now forms part of the West Coast mainline.
British Listed Buildings. Web site.
Ancient Monuments Info. Web site
Dacorum Council. Web site
Hertfordshire County Council. Web site
Northchurch Baptist Church. Web site
St. Marys Church of England School. Web