Phillibrook appears to flow through this area
Post to the north Leyton
Post to the west Leyton
Post to the east Leytonstone
Church - Fillebrook Baptist church started a mission in 1888 opening a hall in
1892 called the Ashville mission in two houses. An additional Hall was built across
the road in1923. By the Second World War membership fell and the mission
closed, and the halls closed.
Fountain of Life in Ashville New Halls which were sold by the original Baptist
owners to the Brethren.
E Usman. Leytonstone Mosque and Islamic Centre in the original Baptist mission
Municipal Borough Council Electricity Undertaking was opened here in 1896. They
had connection arrangements with adjacent authorities, and a showroom in Church
Lane. The station supplied power to run the local trams service which the local
authority took over in 1905 and electrified immediately. By 1920 however they were receiving a bulk
supply from Walthamstow and the Cathall Road generating station closed in
1927. However the demand for electricity
supply in the area increased, showrooms were opened and transformer stations
provided. The Cathall Road plant remained but in 1935 comprised transformers
and rotary converters. The system was
taken over by the London Electricity Board in the 1950s and the site remained
with their successor body. It has now been demolished and the site cleared.
and Redwood towers. These were on the corner of Hollydown Road. Blown up and
name of the southern portion of the road, following the right angled bend, was once
Borough Electricity substation. No longer in use.
U Islam primary school. The organisation purchased a building previously used
as a clinic and set up a Muslim school in 2002.
Church. Built in 1902 by Sir Arthur Blomfield & Son in brick, Evangelical
church of England.
Road Board School. This was opened in 1895 with a Board School type building
from 1900. In 1948 it became a mixed secondary modern school. It later became
the Corpus Christi school, changing its name later to Cardinal Wiseman School.
Demolished 1991 the site is now housing
Grove Green Road
Oasis of Love, the Goodman Memorial Hall or the Leytonstone Christian Centre
which is part of London City Mission. An iron hall, called Bethsaida was built
here in 1906. In 1912 the widow and family of Josiah Goodman built a larger all
in his memory, designed by W. Hood. In
1938 this was passed to the London City Mission
Christ Apostolic Church. This was built as a Methodist church with the help of
Richard Mallinson in the late 1880s.
Arms. 1890s local
Linear Park – covering areas demolished for the A12 link road.
Trinity and St Augustine, Built in 1973 by Gerard Goalen, replacing a church of
1878. It has a defensive, windowless exterior of brown brick with a bellcote.
There is a concrete mural of the Trinity and other scenes. In the Chapel are
for Victorian windows said to come from St Augustine Haggerston. It replaced
the churches of St. Augustine and Holy Trinity which were demolished for regeneration
in the early 1970s/
of Holloway Down. This area had been built up in the 1890s but with housing of
a low standard which was replaced by council housing in 1960s.
Centre for the Construction Industry – built in 2010 on the old power station
was Hollewell or Blind Lane which linked Holloway Down and Leyton High Road. It
was later called Union Road and the name was changed again by request of the
Great Eastern Railway Company.
Testament Assembly, Fetter Lane Congregational Chapel. Church and Sunday school
Built 1899 By P Morley Horder and it has been described as ‘outstandingly
original and influenced by Mackintosh influenced church
roughcast covered building has a galleried chapel with a schoolroom below and
the design of the interior is said to recall the original Fetter Lane Chapel of
1660. The church began as a mission of Grove church, Stratford and in 1894 the
Fetter Lane church founded in 1660, moved to Leyton and their pastor took over
the mission. The Fetter Lane church was
sold in 1897, and the current chapel built in 1900. A permanent church, designed
by P. Morley Horder was built partly with the proceeds. In the late1920s
serious differences arose between the then pastor and his congregation, and he
resigned while membership fell and the financial position became precarious.
Though things were better after the Second World War, membership remained low
Metropolitan Tramways Co. This company, established in the 1860s, operated
horse-drawn trams in north and east London. Tram construction works built in
1874 between the two Birkbeck Road. This connected with the company's system at
Stratford by a horse tramway in Leytonstone High Road extended to the Green Man
in 1878. The company experimented in 1877 with the Merryweather steam tram,
in1881 with a car driven by the Beaumont compressed air engine, and in 1882
with an electric tram run on a battery. This was the first known example of
electric street traction and the a vehicle was a converted horse tram with
batteries under the seats. It ewes known as The Faure accumulator car designed
by a Mr Radcliffe Ward for the Faure Accumulator Company. . In 1896 the London
County Council purchased sections of the network, and eventually began direct
management of the operation. The Union
were used by the County Council until 1911
Patrick's RC Cemetery. This was opened in 1868. Crowded with white-marble
monuments, Lodge and Chapel with wheel window, 1861-2 by S.J. Nicholl. Includes
graves of some of the nuns drowned on the Deutchesland and commemorated by
Hopkins, and also the grave of Mary Kelly, a Ripper victim. There is an area of
war graves with 147 Commonwealth burials of the Great War and Special
Memorial headstones erected in a row within the main War Plot. There are 134
Commonwealth burials of the Second World War here, with a Screen Wall Memorial.
Birkbeck Tavern. Late 19th corner pub situated next to the cemetery
Leyton High Road
Leyton Station. Opened in 1856 it now lies
Between Stratford and Leytonstone on the Central Line. It was opened by the
Eastern Counties Railway and originally called ‘Low Leyton’. The Great Eastern Act of 1853
said that no trains were to stop here between 10.30-1.00 on Sundays. In 1867 the name was changed to ‘Leyton’. In
1878 there was some rebuilding and a new entrance in was
installed in the High Road – and much of what remains dates from this time. Other
new entrances were installed in succeeding years but the northern ticket office and entrance which dated from 1901 were removed when
the M11 extension was built in the 1990s. In 1948 the line was electrified and the station became part of the
Central Line. It was again rebuilt with new façade to the
High Road. Additional works and
extensions will be put in place for the 2012 Olympic games
dates from 1879 when the level crossing was removed
yard. Closed 1968
This was Leyton’s second town hall built in 1895 by a new town hall, built next
to the earlier building. It was designed by John Johnson. The High Road frontage is in of striped brick and stone while the flank along Adelaide Road has a first-floor
assembly hall. A more modest entrance goes to the technical institute with a relief
showing workmen studying and at work. In Ruckholt Road is a later wing with the
Council Chamber. Inside, the council chamber is approached by a small but
imposing marble stair. The assembly hall, used as offices has a stage.
This was Leyton's first town hall designed by John M. Knight the surveyor to
Mile End Vestry, in 1882, extended 1910. It had become a library by 1897 converted
by the Council Surveyor, W.Dawson.
Methodist church. Built in the 1970s of reused brick
267 bank built by J.H. Bethell, 1896.
Parish Church Hall
Tabernacle. Salvation Castle built by local salvationist builder Coxhead
Young People's Hall
School and Childrens’ Centre. This originated in a Board School built in 1883 and
North Birkbeck Road
Community Learning and Skills Service
Previously called Faraday Street
South Birkbeck Road
Trinity Church. In 1874, an iron church
was built here, and a new church built two years later. This was in of plain
brick, and dedicated in 1878. After a fire in 1892, the chancel roof was
painted with a dove amid golden rays. A
parsonage and parish room were soon added. Holy Trinity closed in 1973 and was
demolished to make way for flats built by a property developer
British Listed Buildings web site
Day. London underground
Holy Trinity web site
Leyton History website
London Borough of Waltham Forest web site
London Parks and Gardens web site
London Railway Record
London’s Town Halls. English Heritage
Metadyne web site
Noor U Islam Newsletter web site
Pump House Museum web site
Thames Basin Archaeology Group, Booklet
Victoria County History, Essex