The stream appears to flow south west through this area
Post to the east Leytonstone
Post to the south Leyton
Abbotts Park Road
Abbotts Park. This was Leyton’s first public park and originally called the James Lane Recreation Ground. Some of the area was donated by the property developer Abbott family and some was bought with money the parish got as compensation for loss of common land bought by Great Eastern Railway
8 Seventh Day Adventist church in the earlier building of Leyton and Wanstead Synagogue. The synagogue has been in this converted house from 1934. It was damaged by fascists in 1934, later bombed and after the war rebuilt round the corner in 1954
The Allum Medical Centre – on the site of community building belonging to the Baptist church. Opened 1992.
2 Leyton and Wanstead Synagogue. Built in 1954 round the corner from the original house which is in Drayton Road.
This stretch of James Lane, renamed in memory of Mary Fletcher, instigator of Methodism in Leyton
215 Police Station. This is replaced a 19th building at dates from 1939
Grove Green Road
344 Heathcote Arms. Hosts the Leyton Comedy Club
392 Giggles Childcare in an old hall.
Previously this was Moyer’s Lane
Hainault Road Baptist Church
219 Gwyn Jones Primary School
St Catherine’s church. The church originated in 1885, when an iron church was erected in Francis Road to serve the Phillebrook area. St.Catherine's was built in 1893 by R. Creed. The first vicar was John Kennedy, historian of Leyton. A church hall was built in 1895. The church was sold to the Elim Pentecostal church
Phillebourne stream – in 1868 this was still open here but in 1904 it was covered from here to the sewage works at Ruckholt.
Named for the builder, Jesse Jackson
Dawlish Primary School
Essex Hall, ex-Walnut Tree House. Timber framed 16th building. This is probably the oldest building in Leyton and was probably a dower house to the Leyton Great house estate. It was built on the site of the old Manor House. In 1686 Nathaniel Tench one of the first directors of the Bank of England, acquired an estate in Leyton, which probably included this house. Walnut Tree House was sold to Jesse Jackson, a builder, in 1878. In 1804, when Richard Oliver leased it it was called Walnut Tree House, and in 1813 when it was leased it to Joseph Cotton, elder brother of Trinity House preservation of the large walnut tree in the garden was mentioned, it became a school, Leyton College, about 1870. It was renovated in 1886 by Richard Creed. It is now the Leyton Conservative Club. Plaque
Leyton Telephone Exchange. This opened in 1931 and became the first automatic exchange in the area
Leyton High Road
Originally this was Low Leyton. This is said to be a Roman road
Leyton National Schools. In 1816 Samuel Bosanquet leased to trustees part of a field in James Lane and the school was established in 1819. In 1847 a new mixed school was built by subscription on the site of Ozier free school – this school was based in the High Street and funded with a bequest from the late 17th. The school, known as High Road school, was closed in 1903, but reopened by the council in 1904 and finally closed in 1923. In the 1960s the school buildings were in industrial use and the site is currently derelict.
640 Three Blackbirds. The earliest date for this pub is 1698. It was used as meeting rooms by various official bodies and was a coach stop. In the early 20th it was a sporting pub supporting football and cricket teams, and gardens were added from the school site next door. Following several changes of brewers it closed in 2008 and became an Indian restaurant.
655 Midland Vets Practice. Cat and dog statues on the gable ends.
669 Royal Mail Delivery Office. In front is an 18th house. Vast Post Office building behind.
693 SMA Medical Centre
713 Noor U Islam Trust. In the post office sorting office of 1893 for the E10 delivery area. This Muslim trust operates an educational and religious facility here.
752 Barclay Mission Hall. This was founded before before 1885 by J. G. Barclay, head of Barclay’s bank, in a small hall built onto the gardener's lodge at Leyton Green. About 1898 the hall was given to the London City Mission. In 1907 a new hall was opened, designed by E. Frere in yellow brick. With attached gardener’s lodge of Barclay Hall. 17th timber house with some brick rebuilding and modernised as missionary house
Leyton Leisure Lagoon, opened in the early 1990s and now run by GLL
Arcola Shoe Works. One of a number of shoe factories in the area.
Salway House. A boys boarding school founded in the 1830s. Closed in 1912
Mary Fletcher Memorial Chapel. Mary Bosanquet lived at Forest House in 1744 and became a Methodist opening a centre and orphanage in 1762. However she married Rev. John Fletcher, Vicar of Madeley where she remained. The Mary Fletcher Memorial Chapel was built in 1877 on land given by a later member of the Bosanquet family when Methodism had revived in the area. It was designed in a Gothic style by G. Marshall. Temporary iron schoolrooms were also built. The church closed in 1969, the site sold and church and Sunday school demolished in 1971
745 Bus Garage. Opened in 1912 and replaced a Great Eastern Garage in Lea Bridge Road. Bombed in the Second World War but was the first garage to operate RTs in 1947. Rebuilt 1959 and now operated by Stagecoach.
County Cricket ground. This was set up here in 1885 for the Essex County Cricket Club, with a pavilion by Richard Creed but the ground has been used for cricket since the early 19th. In 1905 Essex beat the Australians here and played here until 1977. A local cricket club, Leyton County Cricket Club, uses the ground during the summer. The pavilion is used by local schools. The pavilion is timber on a brick base and separate side pavilions, linked in 1935.
Leyton Midland Road Station. Opened in 1894 it now between Leytonstone High Road and Walthamstow Queens Road on the Barking to Gospel Oak line. Opened by Midland Railway as part of the Tottenham and Forest Gate Railway, it was originally just called "Leyton". In 1915 it was bombed destroying the ticket office and a billiard hall in the arches; four people were killed It was renamed Leyton Midland Road ion 1949
77 Christian Hope Ministry. This is in what was the church of St. Edward, built in 1905, replacing a tent, and built to the design of G. Streatfeild. The church closed in 1968
66 Walbrook Works. Office block in red brick and terracotta by Arthur B Coulsell built 1910 for Henry Green. Early Crittall windows on the first floor. Jourdan box makers until 1932. Now artists’ studios
Norlington Road School. Founded 1904 as junior mixed but has been boys only since 1948 when it was a secondary modern
Light industry and trading estate on the old station goods yard area
55 United Free Church. Built in 1991 by Ian Morton Wright, on the site Baptist Fillebrook church. It is an angled T plan church and hall, inside is a complex folded-timber ceiling. What was Fillebrook church originated in 1874 with meetings held on the initiative of G. A. Hutchison, founder of the Boy's Own Paper. George Looseley gave a site on the Fillebrook estate, and with money from the London Baptist Association a church was opened in 1878, as a large brick building. A hall was built in 1882. Fillebrook was associated with social and philanthropic work, including temperance and two new halls were added in Fairlop Road in 1939 and two houses turned into an institute
British Listed buildings web site
East London Old and New
Field. London Place Names,
Glazier. London Transport Garages
Heathcote Arms web site
Leyton and Wanstead Synagogue web site
Leyton History Society web site
Leyton United Free church web site
London Railway Record
Victoria County History. Essex
Waltham Forest Council web site