The Moselle is joined by the Lesser Moselle from the North West and flows north eastwards and then turns abruptly south.
Locally authority housing with a semi-circle of dwellings at the northern end surmounted by a clock tower.
Stellar House. 19 storey 1960s blockcourt
39-51 Sir William Staines’ Almshouses founded in St.Giles Cripplegate and moved here in 1868. Houses arranged a secluded garden, with metal boundary railings and gates. They were originally built in 1868 by Sir William Staines, a former Lord Mayor as Alderman Staines Almshouses. The Cripplegate almshouses were demolished in 1864 for the Metropolitan Railway line. There is a central plaque with the arms and name of the benefactor.
William Atkinson House. Post war flats following Second World War bombing
William Rainbird House. Set behind a grassed courtyard.
25- 37 terrace of 19th houses built in brick
Prospect Place. 1-10 pairs of semi-detached cottages built in 1822. A stone panel reads ‘Prospect Place 1822’ and there are still iron railings
Cemetery entrance with ornate stone gate piers.
Site of Rectory Farm
Sheltered housing area
Bungalow with '1925' over the front door
St Francis de Sales Roman Catholic Infant and Junior School. The school for boys, girls, and infants opened in 1827 close to a new church in Chapel Place. It was rebuilt in 1858 and then moved to the current site in 1882. The original building is now the Parish Hall. In the Second Wrold War the school was used the air raid shelters beneath the church and in the convent. The convent was bombed and in 1945 a separate girls school there was taken over in 1945.
Industrial and trading area
Brook house. House in its own grounds, there until the early 1950s.
British Road Services Parcel Depot.
Bull Lane Playing Fields – owned by Tottenham Council these are the other side of the Enfield border. Subject to a long running dispute on future use.
MQ Metal Fabrication, founded by Arnold Poulton in 1962 to make metal medical equipment. The company is now run by Arnold's son and grandson
Greenwood House. Alexander George Ley. Making decorative frames in an Art Deco building. Ley started work on this in 1957.
Keitman telephone manufacture in the 1930s
The Moselle River flowed here in a loop from Bennington Road but is culverted
Cemetery. The Moselle and Lesser Moselle meeting in the cemetery south of the lake. The Moselle in a culvert and the Lesser Moselle is open.
Cemetery Gates dated 1858. Ornate gate piers, cast iron gates and railings of Tottenham Cemetery which date from 1858
Community Centre. One-storey building by Colquhoun Miller.
158A Church Road. Built in the rear garden of 158, a late 20th detached house
1-5 19th terrace of cottages in London stock brick.
8 -10 the remaining two of a terrace of five double fronted 19th houses. The others were bombed and prefabs built on their sites, now gone.
Chapel and Pastors House. Chapel was dedicated to St. Francis of Sales and was built for the Baroness de Montesquieu. A Roman Catholic chapel had been opened in Tottenham in the late 18th by French émigrés. This was rebuilt in Chapel Place in 1826 plus a school. In 1882 the school moved away and the chapel was sold, becoming a clothing factory. The congregation moved to the new Church of Francis de Sales in the High street.
Living Word Temple now has premises in Chapel Place
The public footpath goes through the cemetery
Tunnel which connects east and west parts of the Cemetery. It was opened in 1883 – as shown on date plaques. It consist of walls with gate piers and wrought-iron railings lining a path that dips under the public footpath which footpath is carried on an arch with stepped gables to either side
Furniture, engineering and other works there in the 1930s. These include a Tudor Works, and a Hope works
30 S.Green Perseverance works. The firm dates from before the Second World War and specialises in linens and household textiles. The factory building probably dates from the late 1920s and built for F.J.Baxter, a cabinet maker who came here from the east end.
31 Empee Silk Fabrics, moved to Edmonton after 150 years in the east end. M. Courts, sewing sundries, haberdashery etc, moved here in 2002 after 100 years in the east end. The building was presumably purpose built for an earlier industry.
Part of an area once known as Little Russia – and with a reputation of being very rough and tough.
Low rise housing low-rise housing built by Haringey Architect's Department 1971
Edmonton County Court. Built in 1940 with a plaque with the county coat of arms over the main door.
Edmonton Temple (Universal Prayer Group Ministries), 1975. Polygonal, with angular clerestory windows below a shallow pitched roof.
The name is an old field name, and it has been supposed that this is the original line of Ermine Street.
Flats – local authority blocks built following compulsory purchases in the 1960s.
Congregational Chapel. In when John Snell's house was sold in 1848, the Independents bought some of its the site of his and built a new chapel but there were problems over lectures and some of the congregation opened another chapel in the 1870s. However the two lots reunited and in 1959 moved to the other chapel. This one was sold to the council in 1965 and demolished.
Industrial Estate on old factory site. This was a nursery area in the 19th with industrial uses in the 20th
Secluded old peoples housing
This road was north of and parallel to Durban Road and part of the same area. Assume that some of it is now the east/west line of Commercial Road. The road was demolished in the 1870s for redevelopment.
Jones Baker Engineering Co. Structural steel and metalworks
British Queen. 19th pub rebuilt in the 20th. Has had its problems.
2 single storey block in brick with decorative stone. Industrial premises behind.
4-6 houses dated to 1903 and designs over the windows.
This was once called Marsh Lane
2 -4 17th cottages built of brick, with ground floor shop windows.
Paxton Hall – 19th.
Archway Sheet Metal. Making catering equipment and run by the Josif family.
Jehovah’s Witnesses Kingdom Hall
Industrial and trading units
Pretoria shoe works 1930s
Tevekkeli sports club
78 Kelan house. Clothing manufacturer in 1930s built warehouse
Halls floorings. Carpeting wholesaler
Engineering works 1950s furniture 1930s
Frontier Works, Ceramatech opened in 1988 and on this site since 1990. They provide supplies to potters – schools, colleges and professionals. They do clays, glazes, tools & equipment including kilns.
This was originally called Park Road and was later named for John Snell who had a house here.
Boundary Hall – for Snells Park Tenants Association
Mineral Water works in the 1930s
Paint works in the 1930s
Tottenham High Road
Has at its end a scattering of sub Georgian houses, from the time when the village, side was set back a little; the characteristic type is of three tall storeys above a basement.
The Moselle runs down the street from White Hart Lane southwards unmade the wide pavement on the west side,
White Hart Lane junction. In the 17th the Moselle reached here and was the boundary of Crook’s Farm. Home of the Barkham family.
881 Cannon Factory. Large factory building, with north-light roofs, still in use by Cannon - their principal product being rubber mats for car interiors. Cannon Rubber Manufacturers Ltd were founded in 1936 by David Atkin. It was originally a general rubber goods company producing thing like hot water bottles, rubber shoe soles and natural rubber baby bottle teats. They took over Brook House, in 1955 where they also began to specialise in car mats
860-862 Coach and Horses Pub. 19th brick building. Sells Irish crisps
867-869 18th brick houses
841-843 Bootlaces. This was the Chequers Pub. Edwardian Tudor style building. Now a fast food restaurant.
819-829 La Royal Banqueting suites – some of the buildings are 18th
816-822 19th brick buildings with shop fronts on the ground floor. 818 has a grand front. There is also a passageway through to a stable block behind.
814 19th brick corner building currently used as a bookie.
810 house built 1715 as a merchant's house. One of the longest-running and most intractable cases it had been left derelict since the 1980s.
808 survival of 18th commuter housing
801-803 Bricklayers Pub.
744 Warmington House. Early 19th house used as offices.
746 Tottenham and Edmonton Dispensary. Edwardian building with a stone ground floor. Disused.
748 The Red House. 19th building. At one time this had a projecting clock and a golden cock – but these have been removed for safety reasons by the football club.
750 Valentinos. This was the White Hart pub. 19th building.
759 Tottenham Health Centre. This was the Whitehall Tavern and later Lucky O’Shaunessey’s Pub.
Kathleen Ferrier House. This block of 20th flats which included the Coombes Croft public library and with a relief of sheep to illustrate Coombes Croft farm. Remodelled and reopened 2010.
793-795 William Hill bookmaker. This was built as a 19th National Westminster Bank and for a while was the Cockerel Pub,
796 Percy House, late 17th
794-782 Northumberland Terrace built for Robert Plimpton a timber merchant on the site of the Black House, medieval house of the Duke of Northumberland sold off by its 18th owner. Original interiors
790 Dial House. This may date from 1691, which is on the sundial mounted on a chimney. It was partly reconstructed in 1982 but much which is original survives.
St. Francis of Sales. Roman Catholic brick Church built in 1895 by Sinott and Powell.
729 Presbytery – brick house with a nice garden.
This road is now part of Florence Hayes Recreation Ground. She was a local head teacher.
The Ragged and Industrial Home. This was opened on the Tottenham side of the boundary in 1862 by Lord Shaftesbury, plus a wing where orphans could learn printing. The school moved to Pembroke House in High Road in 1878, and the old building was auctioned
Lesney Toys. Leslie Smith and Rodney Smith took over a condemned Public House called 'The Rifleman' Using their de-mob money. John William Odell had trained as an engineer and after the war bought for £60, six ex-Army hands operated diecasting machines. They wanted to make diecast components but were unable to do so. They began to make dart boards and toys – and then developed the toy side of their manufactures. In 1949 they left the Rifleman and it was demolished.
Dye Works – dealing with hides and skins
This is now a footpath through the back of Brantwood Road. Also called Waggon Horse Lane
White Hart Lane
White Hart Lane Station. Opened in 1872 it lies Between Silver Street and Bruce Grove stations. In the 1950s extra wide doors were fitted to deal with the football crowds and in 1962 a special gated entrance installed for them on the down side. The station was burnt down in 1977 and the Ticket hall and entrances rebuilt on the up side with special steel staircases. Some original canopies remain.
Goods yard closed in 1968 to become a coal depot in 1978. On the up side
Railway Bridge of the Great Eastern Railway
2, 4, 6a cottages 19th
7 a stuccoed house 1840
32-34 The Grange early 18th. Building restored in 1985, and used by Haringey Council’s home care service. 19th wings may have been stable blocks and other service buildings.
Railway Tavern. Gaunt with terracotta comer gable dated 1895. Now closed
Haringey Sixth Form Centre on the Middlesex university site.
Tottenham Grammar School. This may date back go 1456 and there are records which show there were schoolmasters here through the 16th and 17th. New premises were built in the late 17th following a bequest from Sarah, Duchess of Somerset. New school buildings were provided in the mid 19th and in the early 20th. In 1938 a new school was built in Creighton Road and White Hart lane. It was in Jacobean style with an oak - beamed paneled Hall. It was opened by the Duke of Somerset. After the Second World War an organ was installed as a war memorial and a memorial stone erected on the sports field. A new wing was built in 1950 – the school had laboratories, a library, and woodwork rooms, etc. The extensions were designed by D.R. Duncan, under the direction of Whitfield Lewis, the County Architect In 1967 as part of comprehensivisation the school was amalgamated with Rowland Hill Secondary Modern School to form the Somerset School. Following a fire this school was closed for a while and in 1987 it was closed and eventually demolished. The site was used for housing and part was sold to Middlesex University as a campus and accommodation.
St. Katherine’s College for Training School Mistresses. Opened 1878, In 1964 they united with Berridge House, from Hampstead to form The College of All Saints, a Church of England institution.. They joined Middlesex Polytechnic in 1978, becoming Middlesex University in 1992. The campus had schools of was humanities and cultural studies, business studies, law, sociology and women's studies. It closed in 2005 but The College of All Saints Foundation continues as the All Saints Educational Trust
Middlesex University Tottenham Campus. On the site and the Remains of Tottenham Grammar School. The university was established here in 1994-5. Teaching and administrative offices were in much altered school buildings. Student housing was in striped brick with pantiled roofs, on the site of the 1930s Grammar School, from which the railings remained. The university itself was made up of a number of constituent colleges.
New River. must have crossed White Hart Lane near the old school towards Ewart Grove and its old course could have been along the curved garden backs behind Ewart Grove but it seems more likely that it occupied what is now the open green strip between Stuart Crescent and the High Road.
SourcesArchway Sheet Metal web site
British Listed Building web site
Ceramatech web site
Cinema and Theatre Association Newsletter
Clunn. The Face of London,
Dead Pubs web site
Empee web site
Essex Lopresti. Exploring the New River
Field. London Place Names
Grace's Guide web site
History of Edmonton web siteHistory of Tottenham web site
Lesney Toys web site
Ley frames web siteLondon Borough of Enfield web site
London Borough of Haringey web site
London Railway Record
MQ Metal web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London NorthPinching and Dell. Haringey’s hidden streams
S.Green web site
St. Francis de Sales school web site
Tottenham Grammar School web site
Walford. Highgate to the Lea