Moselle River - Hornsey
The various tributaries converge in this area and flow north and east towards Pymmes Brook and the Lea.
Post to the south Crouch End
Post to the west Hornsey
Post to the north Alexandra Palace Station Wood Green
Alexandra Park Racecourse. This opened in 1868. the land has now been incorporated into the park. Extensive new car parks 1985 opened on the site of the race track paddocks.
Sports Area. there is now a sports area in the racecourse area - for many years there was a cricket pitch and now the London Football Academy
Early local authority housing by Hornsey Council/
The name refers the Birkbeck Freehold Land Company, which developed the Grove House Estate after 1866.
Komkar Kurdish Advice Centre
Local authority housing 1957,
Cleopatra House. Low rise industrial building.
Wat Tyler House. Corbusian maisonettes, on stilts. 1963-4.
Local authority housing 1957,
Campsbourne Board School. 1897. This is was like a London School Board building. Closed
The Moselle flows to the south of the road.
Solar Trading. On a site which was a screw factory in the 1950s
Car Park – on a site which was a plastics moulding factory in the 1950s
Campsbourne Estate. Built when the local authority cleared an area of terraces built by the British Land Company from 1867.This was to a master plan of 1950 by Borough Engineer J. H. Melville Richards.
New River Village – 21st flats on site of old New River works land and partly on the site of the concrete tank
Tank – this was a reservoir-like grass-covered structure. This was a reinforced concrete contact tank, of one and a quarter million gallons capacity, for chlorination treatment. Hornsey Water Works was involved in an experimental chlorination scheme.
St.Mary’s Church of England Infant’s School, dates into 1863.
Trading Estate and industrial units
As works have come and gone in this area so the line of Clarendon Road has changed. When the gas works opened in the 1850s access via Clarendon Road was from the north and the road did not then reach Turnpike Lane. On some late 19th and early 20th maps it vanishes completely. In the 20th the northern section was curtailed and Clarendon Road came from the south and Turnpike Lane.
Sidings to Great Northern Railway Hornsey Gas Works. This was founded by the Hornsey Gas Company in 1857 but did not operate until 1861. The Great Northern Railway bought it in 1865 but there were difficulties and they sold back it to the Hornsey Gas Cornseyompany before the end of the year. It became a Statutory Gas Company with an enabling Act passed in 1866 and was then rebuilt by Jabez Church. It was then supposed to be cleanest gas works in London. It was modernised in 1895, in 1909 the hand stoked retort houses were rebuilt and there was more rebuilding in 1912. It was under the control of the consortium of south London Gas Companies from the 1930s but North Thames Gas Board took it over in 1949 on nationalisation. Gas making ended in 1957 but it is still used as a holder station, Gasholder No 1 of 1892 is an early example of Cutler's Patent, helically-girdered guide frame. Against the railway embankment are three abutments of former gasworks coal stores, 1889 and later.
Hornsey Gas Co offices of 1895.
The Moselle River ran through the gas works sites once it had emerged from under the railway lines.
27 Hornsey Brewery In 1884 this was owned by S. F. Rhodes. In 1886 it was occupied by Alexander & Co and 1888- 1920 by R. Caffyn & Son, brewing ale and 'Invalid Stout'. From 1923 the brewery was managed by V. F.Rhodes. Brewing may have continued until 1957 and bottling until 1959
Progress House. Cable London. This was a cable telecommunications company which ran from the 1980s until purchased by Telewest in 1999. It was their technical and engineering centre, and satellite dish farm. One of the buildings was on the site of the former Hornsey Brewery; which was marked in 1996 by a special ale brewed by Woodforde's of Norfolk in the style of the Hornsey Brewery's but which bore the Cable London logo.
Alexandra Works were Henley's Medical Supplies which had been set up D. F.Henley in 1948 in Alexandra Road. In 1949 they moved here and were at first over the brewery stables, and additional premises were acquired and by 1976 built the works. The company made surgical disposable sundries, waterproof bedding and protective clothing.
Lavender Garden – community garden on the corner with Hornsey Park Road.
West Indian Cultural Centre
50 Virgin Media
Trading Estate and industrial units
John Raphael House. Faith Miracle Centre
Moselle River – the river crossed this road in an open channel up to 1864. Before the railway was built it then ran north easterly towards the gas works site, and then north along the west bank of the New River. It then went under the New River and the railway in a culvert. Following a scheme of 2003 it goes from Cross Lane in a culvert to connect with this original brick culvert.
This area was once called Moselle Park and a ditch ran north of the main river to connect to the culverted Moselle River under the New River and the railway.
New River – the Old Course of the New River ran under Cross Lane to the site of the present pump house
Brick Place, or Tower Place with an associated medieval moat may lie on the water works site. It was mentioned in 1572 with orchards and fishponds. Demolished in 1703
Smithfield Refrigerator Works. This is on a sign over the entrance to the lane. In the 1930s the company was on a small site to the rear of the Great Northern Tavern partly that previously used by Eagle Works. The works was here in the 1930s and by the 1950s they had grown and were on the large site on the west side of the lane now covered by a derelict buildings and parking space. Smithfridge was presumably the trade name and there is a suggestion they made ice or ice cream making equipment.
Eagle Works Art Metal 1920s. This was Jones and Willis, working with precious metals. Also Church Art Workers & Art Metal Workers of Great Russell Street
Campsbourne Well Pumping Station. New River pumping station built 1887. Small with red and yellow brickwork and attached boiler house. It supplemented the New River by pumping from a well in the chalk, 213 feet deep but now capped.
Bridge in wrought iron, cast iron and timber, trussed vehicular bridge of c. 1875, which once carried coal to the boiler houses from a railway siding by means of a narrow gauge tramway
Craft works 1950s novelties
Joinery works 1950s
Gross Cash Registers. This was founded by the brothers Henry and Sam Gross. In the early 1930's they set about trying to invent a cash register for mass production and began manufacture in 1946. They moved in the early 1950s to the north Circular and then to Brighton.
New River can be seen at the back of the flats
New River old course. The 100ft contour swings right in the area of Eastfield Road.
The Moselle River ran to the north of the road
New River – Old course. This crossed the road it in three places until it was moved in the 1860s. It is thought that the old course went through the churchyard south and east of the Church, running from a brick wall where there is an unreadable, stone plaque. It is also thought that there was a bridge across it to the churchyard from Church Lane. In Church Lane there appears to be another bridge and a hump in the High Street may mark where the old course crossed under the road. Whatever the exact course the channel definitely ran through part of a churchyard.
New River crosses under the road and runs beneath the railway line. Since it was straightened in the 19th it runs beside the railway line and crosses the High Street, at its junction with Tottenham Lane;
St. Mary. There was a church here in 1321 but only the brick tower from the medieval parish church remains in its old churchyard. The tower has a comer turret carving of angel busts with shields, with the arms of Bishops Savage and Warham. Inside, is a blocked arch to a former medieval aisle. George Smith added a belfry storey when he rebuilt the church in 1832, itself demolished in 1927. Another church was built here by Brooks in 1889, also now demolished.
Churchyard. Railed tomb-chest to the poet Samuel Rogers 1855, his brother and sister.
25 Hornsey Tavern
69 Eagle House 18th house of three storeys
Eagle Cottage – Manorworks. This is the site behind Eagle House. Hill & Son and Norman & Beard, were a firm of church organ builders. They were here from 1947 until the early 1970s.
The Great Northern Tavern. Elaborately decorated building of 1900. Engraved window glass Ornamental iron grilles. Music Room, originally separate, has elaborately decorated roof-lights
Hornsey National Hall. Red brick Hornsey National Hall and Constitutional Club designed by John Farrar and built by Thomas Docwra. It was opened by the Hornsey National Hall Company in in 1888. It had a hall for public meetings, plus space for the Primrose League, and the Middlesex (3rd) Rifle Volunteers. In 1910 it became the National Hall Cinema. In 1916 it became the Parish Hall and was a church after 1969 when the old parish church was demolished to build St Mary’s infant school.
Baths. Built in 1932 as part of Hornsey Central depot which lay behind.
71 three bays, stuccoed, early c19,
Engineers house 1870s, ‘in cottage-orne style’
Gate House – turned into flats
Lindsay Cottage and River House
Greig City Academy. This secondary school was originally The School of St. David and St. Katharine, which had been rebuilt in 1998. The school is sponsored by The Greig Trust and the Church of England. David Greig, founder of the grocery chain, founded the Trust in memory of his mother in 1949 to provide funds for the education of Hornsey children
Obelisk. This is a pink granite obelisk as a drinking fountain, with a cast iron dog trough. Inscroped: PRESENTED TO THE PARISH OF HORNSEY BY MARIA HAWKES WARE 1863 THE FEAR OF THE LORD IS THE FOUNTAIN OF LIFE.
Cattle and Horse trough,
Hornsey Park Road
Built in 1880
The Moselle River ran along the western site of the gardens to the south of brook road
Coach building works in the road in the 1950s
One of the first roads to be developed was on the east of the Warner estate. Named for the Rev Lindzee who married a Warner daughter
Mary Neuener Road
New road opened in 2008 and named after an ex-Mayor
The Cholmeley Brook ran along the east side of Priory Park alongside Middle lane. It meets the St.James and Cranley Stream in the grounds of the old Rectory, between the Territorial Army Centre and St. Mary’s School. A line of trees marks its course between the bowling club and Rectory Gardens.
Central Depot. Sanitary Department of the local council.
New River Avenue
The Pump House. Restaurant . Hornsey Pumping Station. Built 1903, this was the Last building built by the New River Company. It was extended under the Metropolitan Water board in 1937. It is near the site entrance. Red brick with stone dressings.. Contains oil engines by W.H.Allen of Bedford., with extension for diesel engines 1935-7- The Steam engines were replaced in 1964-6.
Sluice House. The only surviving building of 1859. Across the river, originally flanked by two cottages. Built with two sluice gates, one remains. Poncelet-type water wheel once used for pumping in it. Straddles the New River. By the river
New River Village
High priced housing on the old waterworks site undertaken with Thames Water, Berkeley Homes and St.James Homes.
A field boundary ditch ran along here and was the boundary between Hornsey and Tottenham
The Moselle River was realigned through the water works site where brick culverts in parallel were exposed. These culverts short circuited the route of the Moselle to take it across the site. In the north part of the water works site clear water flowed from sludge settlement tanks into the Moselle.
New River Wood Green tunnel – 1,110 yard long to replace a loop. From the tunnel the river passed under the railway arch into Hornsey Basin.
Hornsey Treatment works. These are the remains of the former New River Company works which lay between Alexandra Park and Hornsey High Street. It was built in 1859, when the New River was realigned.
Filter Beds and Reservoirs. Four filter beds of 1859, four of 1879. Filter Beds and works for the New River Co. Hornsey. Two subsidence reservoirs for filtered water covering 8 acres with a capacity of 8,500,000 galls. 8 filter beds 5 1/4 acres and four pumping engines of 450 hp. The filter beds are arranged in a neat quadrangle, and three of them were built in 1857-59 but reconstructed, with vertical sides, around 1900, while the other five were added around 1879. New River passes through them.
Hornsey Basin – 1 acre area, filled by the New River
Nightingale Lane junction. The Old course of the New River old course came past here. Then down Priory Park to Hornsey High Street and the church
New River. The road slopes down as far as Eastfield Road and old maps suggest that the old course joined Nightingale Lane here and followed it down to Priory Park where it swung east
Council housing – the Borough of Hornsey's very first council housing is here. 140 were built added in 1904, with a scullery plus a fitted bath and a hot-water system.
Campsbourne Primary School.
Site of a lake fed by the Moselle in the grounds of Campsbourne Lodge
Priory Park opened 1894 and enlarged 1926. It includes a Philosopher's Garden and, a dog-free area. The park still had much of its 19th landscaping.
Metcalf Memorial Fountain next to the Middle Lane gate. This drinking fountain was given by local resident Charles Thomas Page Metcalf in 1879 to replace the village pump and it stood in Crouch End Broadway, Crouch End outside Hornsey Town Hall. In 1895 it was moved to the Park
Granite fountain from St. Paul’s Cathedral churchyard which was moved here in 1909. It was previously in a local churchyard and then donated to the park in 1909. The 50 tonnes of Lamorna granite is now used as a large planter and landmark by park goers
This is named after the Priory, a mansion of 1822-3 by W.F. Pocock. Demolished 1902.
The New River crossed the converging tributaries of the Moselle near the junction with Nightingale Lane. The streams were beneath the New River in brick arches.
Priory Estate. John Farrer developed the estate in the 1890s.
Signal box for the sidings to the gas works and the brewery
The Moselle crossed the road.
St.Mary’s Junior School. The building was originally that of St David's Secondary boys' school which was built in 1961. St.Mary’s has been here since 1976.
Council Housing Plain houses in a garden suburb tradition built in 1927
1 Baptist Church. Also used by North London Rudolf Steiner school. A ‘tin chapel’ was opened in 1873 and Hornsey Baptist Church was constituted as a Particular Baptist Church that year. In 1892 it became a Mission of Ferme Park Baptist Church. A purpose-built Mission Hall was built in 1895. Three adjoining houses and land were acquired and converted for church use while a new Mission Hall was built.
3 Campsbourne Community Centre
7 Lotus Cars. Production was started here by Colin Chapman in 1952 in a converted stables behind the Railway Arms. The Lotus Seven and Elite developed here but they moved to Cheshunt in 1959 and later to Norfolk.
Hornsey Station. Opened in 1850. Between Alexandra Palace and Haringey on the Great Northern Railway. The first and for some time the only station on the Great Northern reflecting their concentration on through traffic.The station was rebuilt in 1900 and everything was replaced apart from the up side platform and some ancilliary buildings. There was an overhead booking office - eventually to be last one in London. The footbridge was also replaced in 1900 and partly replaced again after Second World War bomb damage.
Goods sheds. On the upside in the 1870s this included a complex of cattle pens.
Post Office sorting office
Highgate Optical Manufacturing Co. painted wall sign for a spectacles manufacturer
A Guide to the IA of Hertfordshire and the Lea Valley
British History. Hornsey
Clunn. Face of London
Essex Lopresti. New River
Field. Place names of London
Friends of the Earth. Report on London Gas Works
History of Middlesex
London Borough of Haringey web site
London Railway Record
London’s Water Supply. Metropolitan Water Board,
New River Guide,
Pevsner & Cherry. London North
St.Mary’s School web site
Stewart. North Thames Gas
Walford, Highgate to Lea,
Walford. Village London
Wikipedia article on Greig Academy web site
Willatts. Streets of Islington