Thames Tributary – tributary to the River Roding
The tributary rises from two places in this area and flows westwards
TQ 45844 93105
Rural area and old village on the edge of the metropolitan area
Post to the west Chigwell
Post to the south Hainault
There were several medicinal springs in Chigwell Row
1-2 19th cottages Timber framed and weather boarded
Clare Hall. 18th house in stock brick. Henry Fletcher bought it in 1801, and changed its name to Chapel House.
Chase Farm Cottage. 19th house Timber framed and weather boarded
Pump, 19th in a wooden case with a lead spout and a cast iron
Millers Farm House. 17th Timber framed and weather boarded.
Grove Cottages Fish ponds
United Free Church, former congregational chapel of 1804. Originally part of the Essex Congregational Union. It is a rectangular building of Gault brick.
Beside it was an iron building used as a schoolroom. This was brought from Leytonstone in 1880.
The Grove House. This was the home of Shillibeer, who introduced omnibuses to London. Demolished 1964.
Chigwell Water works. The Chigwell Row Waterworks was part of the Essex Water Company opened 1967. Untreated water comes from Chingford Reservoirs and is treated with Chlorine and filtered. The water goes to parts of Ilford, Dagenham, Barking, Romford, Hornchurch and Tilbury.
Service reservoir from Chingford Mill
Named for George Shillibeer who lived locally.
Forest House. Brick house built in 1800.
Forest House Dairy. Octagonal dairy from the 19th in brick. This has a pyramidal roof, which would once have been thatched. Inside is a glazed tile sunken floor of glazed tiles, a marble worktop and decorative glazed wall tiles.
British History On Line. Chigwell. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry, Essex
United Free Church, Chigwell. Web site