Thames Tributary – tributary to the River Roding
The tributary flows from a source in Rolls Park, northwards.
TQ 44494 94890
The north part of Chigwell as the main road turns towards Abridge. Old houses and some Essexy countryside
Site to the west Roding Lane
Post to the north Debden Estate
Post to the south Chigwell
Site of Barringtons. This was a manor also known as Little Chigwell but named from the Barrington family which held it from the 12th but in other ownership from the 17th – including the Harvey family, and Sir Elias Harvey, the commander of Teremaire at Trafalgar. The house, Rolls House, was demolished in the 1950s following damage during the war from bombing and from occupation by the army. It was a timber framed and brick 17th building
Wall which is listed. It is 17th in red brick with stone coping. This was the boundary wall to the park
Chigwell High Road
25 Rolls Park Farm
The Orangery. The orangery to Rolls House survived but has been rebuilt.
Stables. Remain from Rolls Park. Converted to housing.
The Old Cottage. Remains from Rolls Park.
Haylands. Brick and stucco house from 1800. Has been used as boarding accommodation for Chigwell School.
Sandon Lodge. Has been used as boarding accommodation for Chigwell School
Tailours. 18th house in dark red brick. At the entrance is a wrought iron gateway, with 18th railings and walls
Grange Farm Lane
Grange Farm Trust Centre. This was a holiday and camping centre with a swimming pool. It was opened in 1951 by the Princess Elizabeth and featured in the Festival of Britain. It closed in the 1980s and is now redeveloped for housing, plus a pavilion and nature site, with community use of some space.
Fives and Heronians Cricket Club. The club dates from the 1970s.
Old Farm. Caravan and camp site.
British History online. Chigwell
Chigwell School. Web site
Essex County Council. Web site
Fives and Heronians. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex