Thames Tributary – tributary to the River Roding
The Tributary rises in this area and flows south eastwards
TQ 43941 97522
Suburban area on the edge of Epping Forest and local authority built Debden
Post to the west Debden
The stream flows alongside the road in a wide grassy verge
Gunmakers Arms. Large modern pub
Flats on the site of Loughton bus garage. This garage replaced the one across the road in 1953 and was closed itself in 1986. .
Homebase. This building is effectively the 1923 Loughton Bus Garage which was replaced in 1953 and became the Co-op bakery.
Plume of Feathers Pub. This pub dates from the 1820s and has a more modern front extension hiding the original building.
The road is named after a Mr. Clay
Goldings. Blue plaque to Everard Calthrop 1857 – 1927, Engineer and pioneer of the parachute
Loughton golf club – 9 hole course
The area was developed in the 1920s by George England. It was once called Ree Lane after the stream and there was a ford at the Clay Lane junction.
Ree House stood in the area and had at one time been a chapel. Demolished 1906.
Goldings Hill Evangelical Church
The road was built in the early 17th to link Loughton to Epping and was built on a causeway
Epping Forest Community Church. Evangelical, charismatic – established 1982.
Blue plaque to W.W.Jacobs on a gatepost
Hillyfields Open Space
Rectory Green Open Space. This was also Parson’s Green and the Rectory stood nearby
Blue Plaque guide
Epping Forest Community Church. Web site
Glazier. London Bus Garages
Gunmakers Arms. Web site
Plume of Feathers. Web site
Victoria County History of Essex