Thames Tributary Darent
The Darent continues to flow in a north east direction
Post to the south Riverhead
Post to the east Dunton Green
Donnington Hall. Community centre opened 1927
Medieval settlement growing in the 17th,
Dunton Green Primary School
Bus Garage. Built by the East Saxon Bus Co. and passed to London Transport in 1933. Closed 1998 and demolished.
Great Dunton Farm. part of the Polhill estate
Railway bridge for the Westerham Line,
Dunton Green Brick, Tile and Pottery Works. Pits, offices, engine house, big house. From at least the 17th this was a centre for making bricks and tiles... established in 1862. Thompson was making bricks here in the mid-19th century and the works was taken over by members of the Breething family in the 1890s.House at Pounsley and off Rye Lane was the engine house, clay pits and kilns. The first mechanical brick making machine in England was here, but it was destroyed in the blitz.
Arctic House. West Kent Cold Storage Depot. Demolished
Rye Lane Pottery
Dunton Green Station. 1868. Between Sevenoaks and Knockholt on South Eastern Trains. Westerham branch left from here. Dunton Green was part of the Chislehurst to Sevenoaks section of the SER’s Tonbridge line of 1868. The station was built with two platforms and a main clapboard building on the up side. On the down side was a waiting shelter with a valance. There was one goods siding off the up line. On 1876, the Westerham Valley Company for a 4¾-mile long branch from Dunton Green to Westerham. The station then had its first signal box beyond the northern end of the up platform and the goods siding was converted into a through line, and a curved platform, was provided. West of the up platform was a new embankment to carry the branch line plus a covered footbridge and a subway. Replaced by a second hand footbridge from Grove Park. By 1960, both platform canopies had been rebuilt and the footbridge had lost its roof and glazing. The Westerham line closed in 1961 followed by the closing of the goods sidings. Platform structures were demolished and replaced by a CLASP waiting shelter. The subway, complete with brick surround and roof, remained intact. The signal box also closed. The last remaining structure from the Dunton Green of 1868 – the main station building – was razed to the ground
Siding for the brickworks,