River Shuttle, tributary to the Cray, which is a tributary to Darent, itself a Thames Tributary
The Shuttle continues to flow eastwards to join the Cray under the M2.
Post to the east Hall Place
Post to the south Bexley
South side developed in the 1890s.
1 Warren Wood25 with tile-hung upper floors, and looking sedate amidst the later development around.
The Warren. A large grassed area is backed by a tree-lined ridge, on which a grassed plateau overlooks dense woodland descending steeply to the A2. The name has its origins in the 16th when rabbits were kept for sale there. The farmhouse -was used as a hospital for Hall Place School in 1845 despite being known locally as the "Pest House,” after a carrier died of plague there in 1665 following a trip to London. Warren Farmhouse was demolished in 1937 and its former site is now an open mown area bordered by long grass and shrub, whilst most of the hillside is covered by oak and elm woodland. Birds find nesting sites in the woodland.
The road to Erith was Bourne Street
Meredith and Drew Bakery. Formerly Vickers Aircraft factory. Biscuit maker employing 200. Closed after Second World War.
Development in the 1920s.
Bexley and Erith Technical School Bexley and Erith Technical High SchoolShuttle. On the riverbank are alder, crack willow, black poplar - all trees which prefer damp soil. On the north bank is oak dominated woodland with sycamore and silver birch.
A2 Opened round Bexley in 1971 spring. KCC built. Development spurred on by the opening of the Rochester Way
V2 62 injured. 27th November 1945
Black Prince Roadhouse and pub. Now a Holiday Inn. Supposed to be named that because the Black Prince bedded Fair Maid of Kent in Hall Place. Development was spurred on by the building of this mock-Tudor road house on the site of Bourne Place.
Bourne Place a small mansion house