Thursday, 19 November 2009
The London/Hertfordshire border - Barnet
The London/ Barnet/Hertfordshire border continues to follow Barnet Lane but at the junction with Oaklands Lane turns north east to Grimsdyke Crescent where it turns north and crosses Kings Road and Old Fold View and continues north east on a curved path.
A tributary to the Mymshall Brook rises in this area and flows north westwards
TQ 23831 96598
Suburban area built around the road entering Barnet town from the east. Schools, almshouses, hospitals were built here when it was open land to the east of town. Pleasant housing and some small industrial sites
Post to the north Barnet
Post to the west Arkley
Post to the south Wellhouse
Sites on the London, Barnet, side of the boundary
Burial ground. Opened 1895
Carlton Court Nursing Home, current home of Ronnie Biggs
7 garden with unusual flowers, including many salvias, echiums and digitalis. Organic garden divided into different sections - bright hot coloured area and more subdued planting through an arch. Experimental Piet Oudolf-inspired front garden with knautias, albums, lavender and contrasting yellows. Many pots full of pampered treasures.
Queen Elizabeth’s Boys School. 1931 Long Neo-Tudor range by C.F. Skipper, planned 1929, built 1931-2. Central bay window to first-floor library. Quadrangular plan behind.
Milestone with inscription about building
Ravenscroft Park/Wood Street
Laid out on site of the Duke of Chandos' enclosure of Barnet Common
Ravenscourt Park Road
Pillar box by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby & London. Foundry; Britannia V.R. cypher Small 15" dia. 1887 - c.1899
Barnet General Hospital. Originated as the Bamet Union workhouse infirmary. plain brick extensions. Psychiatric unit and boiler house. 1975-6 by Gollins, Melvin, Ward & Partners. Phase la of major rebuilding programme, 1996 by Percy Thomas Partnership. Many cheerful colourful brick gables. In 1834 workhouse. Called Barnet Institute, 1895. 60 bed hospital, 1913 building. Wallace Institute.
West End Lane
Lord Nelson. A Young’s pub originally next door until the present building was available in 1928 Visited by Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor whose autographs are visible
Watson's Optical laboratories this is the site of the labs which helped pioneer the first artificial lung.
With whalebones bolted together at the top along the road. There is a story they were put up by John Franklin in 1830
Called this because it led to Barnet Wood.
Palmer’s Almshouses. Founded in 1585 on land given by Mrs. Eleanor Palmer 1558; rebuilt 1823 and 1930. Eleanor was the daughter of a courtier of Henry VIII. The almshouses were built with money realised when the original investments of land in Kentish Town became valuable in the 19th.
The Whalebones. Early 19th century two-storey three-bay stuccoed house, with whalebone gate.
Eleanor Palmer Trust. Web site
London Borough of Barnet. Web site
London Gardens Guide
Lord Nelson. Web site
Posted by M at 22:29