Sunday, 22 October 2017
Bush Hill Park
Post to the west Bush Hill Park
Post to the south Bury Street
Post to the north Enfield Town
64 Parr Manufacturing. Metal fancy goods – including for the military. They seem to have been active here 1930s-1950s but may have been earlier
64 Sun House Blaze Communications. “Brand marketing and digital strategies’ ‘Enfield’s Industrial heritage is in our DNA’.
Graphotone Printing Works. 1880-1907 when it was burnt out. They appear to have produced photographic works of sights and events.
11 War Resisters' International. This organisation had been set up in the Netherlands in 1921 This is the address of its first Secretary, Herbert Runham Brown who had spent two and a half years in a British prison as a conscientious objector. The organisation still exists and is based in the Caledonian Road
Built on the site of a what was Fourth Avenue
35 John Jackson Library. This was opened in 1948 as Bush Hill Park Library in what was Fourth Avenue. The building was previously part of St. Mark’s School. As a library it was later renamed after a local councillor and resident and had been refurbished and relaunched in 2010.
St. Mark’s School. A building is shown on this site from the 1890s marked as ‘school’ and may be the site of the original St.Mark’s Church. A Mission Room is also listed in the road. St.Mark’s. The school opened in 1882 as a Church of England School. This school was not adequate and as a result a School Board was set up to open and manage local schools.
Bush Hill Park
Bush Hill Park Co. this was built up from 1877. Developed by Northern Estates Company. They had been established in 1875 to develop Bush Hill Park as a high-class building estate. The Station was opened in 1880. On the west side of the tracks were wide tree lined streets although only a scatter of original houses remain. Others have been replaced with modern flats. The other side of the tracks is the working class Cardigan Estate
Purity Laundry. This was established shortly before the Great War. They had four shops in Enfield. In Charles Street items were washed and ironed as well as being starched and a fleet of vans collected clothing to be laundered and delivered it back to the shops concerned. It closed down around 1969.
Enfield Embroidery Co. starting in a small shop this was taken over by Alex Jamieson & Co. produced high class work for West End shops and export.
First road laid out in 1880.
Bush Hill Park Station. 1880. This lies between Enfield Town and Edmonton Green on One Railway. It was originally opened by the Great Eastern Railway. The railway acted as a social barrier – one side working class, the other middle. Burnt down in 1981 and rebuilt in brick a year later. Built in order to encourage development.
Bluebell House. This was once a dairy. It now seems to be a very scruffy trading estate
Gospel Hall. This was first used by Brethren in 1910. It is now a Community Church.
Bush Hill Park Club. In 1905, a new clubhouse was built for the Bush Hill Park Club, which is still in use. It became the social centre of the estate with whist drives, card parties, concerts, and social functions as well as sports. Eventually the Club acquired ownership of the site and also added to the facilities. More recently some facilities have been renewed.
Bush Hill Park United Reformed Church. This was a congregational church which was built by a congregation who had previously met in Avenue hall. Thus the church was erected in 1910, largely at the expense of George Spicer, and was later given the name of the George Spicer memorial church. It is in an Arts and Crafts style.
Hall. This was added in 1932,
St Marks This began as an iron mission-room in Fourth Avenue in 1885. A permanent church was consecrated in 1893 as a chapel of ease to St Andrew's and became a parish church in 1903. It was designed by JEK and JP Cutts in a plain early English style and built of red brick. It was not completed until 1915; and a spire was never built. It is in the Catholic tradition of the Church of England
Bush Hill Park Club
St.Mark’s Church Hall. This is shown as an infant school on early maps
6 Enfield Chase Tennis Club. The club was thought to have been founded in 1910 and that the clubhouse was believed was originally been a golf clubhouse. Development of the current site was completed in 1986 and the clubhouse was opened in 1987
This was once a gated road. All big house.s
8 Brooklyn, Built by the Arts and Crafts architect A. H. Mackmurdo for his brother.
6 Mackmurdo built this for his mother in 1874-6. Since demolished..
Queen Anne’s Place
Some tile-hung shops of the 1880s in the tradition of Bedford Parksetting the tone for the middle class development.
Enfield Council Housing of 1974. Roman names because many Roman remains found during building.
Wheatsheaf Hall. This was the Avenue Hall which had been a Baptist mission set up in 1881 which was taken over by Congregationalists, who from met here from 1887. It was sold in was sold in 1936 and became Wheatsheaf Hall. It now operates as a community, social support and sports centre
Saddlers Mill Stream
Flows mostly underground south eastwards before merging with Salmons Brook. However, the stream is visible at Village Road and Wellington Road.
St Mark’s Institute. This was a parish centre used by the Sunday Schools and other events. In the Great War from 1916 it was a VAD hospital for wounded soldiers which closed in 1919. It was later used as a social security office. It was sold by the parish to a developer for the and is now flats called Chapel Court
141 St. Mark’s Hotel. Dates from the 1890s
St Stephen’s Church. Designed Alder in 1906-7 and a parish church since 1909. ,.
War memorial lychgate by B Alder, 1919-20.
The earliest houses mostly by R. Tayler Smith were along the main axis.
Bush Hill Methodist Church
Enfield Cricket Club. Lincoln Road Ground The club was formed in 1856, in 1867 when the move was made to a new base at the Lincoln Road ground.
British History online. Enfield. Web site
Bush Hill Club. Web site
Dalling. The Enfield Book
Enfield Archaeological Society. Web site
Enfield Chase Tennis Club. Web site
Enfield Cricket Club. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Pam. A Desirable Neighbourhood
Pam. A Victorian Suburb
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
St.Marks Church. Web site
Posted by M at 18:44