Post to the south Chertsey Green Lane
Post to the west Allmners
This appears to have been built on the site of a council depot, extant in the 1960s
Culverdon. Office block at one time occupied by Microsoft.
The Kingston Zodiac places this on Cerberus - the dog
Barrsbrook Farm. This site which was a piggery in the 1960s, is now laid out as allotments.
Bell Bridge Road
This is a flyover which is also the boundary of the Green Belt. It crosses the railway and was once called Railway Approach. The original railway bridge here appears to have been upgraded to provide a bypass road here in the early 1990s
Cowley Farm. This stood until the late 19th at the south end of the road.
Curfew Bell Road
Unither House. This office block is the European headquarters for United Therapeutics Europe, Ltd. This is a research organisation based in America concerned with drugs and other therapies.
Fox Lane North
Kone. They are a Finnish escalator and lift company whose British office is here in Global House.
Station House – this is no longer here but in the 1960s housed a number of organisations and societies
Maltings. A malting here probably dated from the 19th and was burnt down in the 1960s
Gogmore Farm Park
Gogmore Farm Park is crossed by the River Bourne. There is a tennis court and a floodlit multi-use ball court. Fishing platforms are provided along the river which are suitable for disabled anglers.
Sandgates. This was a convent which was burnt down and demolished. It was set up for the St John Bosco's Convent Grammar School founded by the Salesian Sisters in 1951. The school later moved to a site with boys Salesian College to the south. A large building is now flats and serviced rooms run by Genesis Housing Association as staff accommodation for St. Peter’s Hospital. At one time it was used for camping by Guides and Brownies
Ice house. This is in the grounds of Sandgate. It it probably 19th and is a brick domed structure approximately built into the side of an escarpment in a former landscaped garden.
Chertsey Recreation Ground. This has facilities for a number of sports and it is home to the Chertsey Bowls Club. There is a play area and in the summer a paddling pool and putting green..There is an oak tree on planted for rhe Cornonation of George V in 1911.
William Perkins School. Private fee paying girls school. Perkins was a Chertsey merchant who founded the School in 1725 . The school moved to its present site in 1819 and became a girls' school Grammar School in 1944. In 1978, it became independent administered by a Board of Governors. It is surrounded by extensive sports fields.
Cowley’s Almshouses. A plaque on these buildings tell how they were originally erected in London Street in 1671 by Thomas Cowley and how in 1788 their removal to the present site was paid for by Richard Clark. They were considered for demolition in the 1990s but were instead refurbished.
4-10 Kings Arms. This pub is closed and is now offices.
Plough. Pub demolished in 1964
This road at its southern end makes up the medieval suburb of Styvington.
Chertsey Station – old site. A branch line from Weybridge came here in 1848 built by the London and Southampton Railway. It was sited on the other side of the level crossing and was initially a terminal station.
Chertsey Station. This lies between Addlestone and Virgina Water on South Western Trains. The present station was opened on 1866 by the London and South Western Railway as a loop to the Virginia Water. The station was rebuilt on its current site to a design thought to have been derived from earlier prototypes by Sir William Tite for the London and South Western Railway. It is in stock brick.
Level crossing. This has manned barriers with CCTV over a public highway.
Overbridge – metal lattice work footbridge over the line adjacent to the level crossing and at the east end of the platforms.
Goods yard. In 1870 a goods shed was on the north side connected to sidings. There was also a cattle pen. This is now a car park plus industrial and trading units.
Engine House. This is shown on the south side in 1870 with a number of sidings. Later sidings run to an oil tank alongside the level crossing.
Signal box. In the 1890s this brick built box shown alongside the east side of the level crossing.
1 Station Hotel. This is now offices.
2 advertisement. Painted on the wall of Field, Accountant’s, office is a large ‘ghost’ sign for a coal and coke merchant whose offices were in the goods yard
33 The Bell. Pub – this was also called the Railway Bell and closed in the 1980s and later demolished. It was a bikers pub and is now an Indian Restaurant.
The Electric Palace Cinema.This opened in 1912 and in the 1920’s was re-named Royal Cinema. In 1924 it was re-named Picture House and in 1931 it was the Empire Cinema. In 1932 it was re-named Playhouse Cinema. It was still open in 1954, but closed in the late-1950’s. It was demolished in 1998.
Compass House. Compass Group Headquarters. They are a large scale catering and service organisation. In 1941 Jack Bateman founded factory canteens for British war workers. In 1967 this the company was acquired by Grand Metropolitan and renamed Compass Services in 1984. Following a management buyout Compass Group was formed.
44-46 Stanway Place. Flats in what was Chertsey Congregational church
45 George .This pub was the oldest non-eccesiastical building in Chertsey. It closed in 2013. It has been established in 1613 as the Prince’s Arms. It was later called The Boot, and from 1794 was the George
55-57 Chertsey Brewery. This was here from the 17th to the early 20th owned by the Healy family. There was also an associated maltings and a 240 metre deep well.
56 Prince Albert. Pub demolished in the 1980s
Knoll Park Road
Housing on the site of a 19th house called ‘The Knoll’ which was demolished in 1994. There was an ironwork boundary by the local Herring foundry. It was the home of the Cowley family.
Bridle and Cross. This Wellingborough based suppliers of pre- coated steels had a works here the 1960s-80s.
Coach Depot. Hills of Hersham Depot in what was a timber yard.
Chertsey Gas Works. Only the western portion of the works in this square. This works was started in 1861 by the Chertsey Gas Consumers Co. in opposition to a gas company at Abbey Meads dating from 1837. In 1864 it became a statutory company and purchased this original works with its mains and closed it. In 1931 a new retort house and purifiers were installed but after coming under control of the South Eastern Gas Corporation in 1934 the works was closed down and a bulk supply taken from the Gas Light & Coke Co.. In 1954 following nationalisation a new 1 million cubic foot. gas- holder was erected. The works remains as a gasholder station. The site is now housing and trading estates.
20 Old Fire Station dated 1890. The orange brick built station is on a courtyard plan, with the engine house on the west side, mortuary chapel and stable with a loft over it and a single-storey chapl. The bellcote housed an air-raid warning siren in the Second World War.
Crest House. Headquarters of Crest Nicholason. Housing construction company dating from the 1960s.
Chertsey Childens Centre and Chertsey Nursery School
Carpenters Arms. This is now closed. It was present in 1911. It is now Chertsey Social Club
ADP. Headquarters of Associated Data Procssing which provides payroll services
Also called the Windle Brook and Hale Bourne
Archaeology Data Service. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Chertsey Bowls Club. Web site
Chertsey Museum. Web site
Domesday Reloaded. Web site
Genesis. Web site
Historic England. Web site
Jackson. London’s Local Railways
Kone. Web site
Lost Pubs Project. Web site
Parker. North Surrey
Pub History. Web site
Runneymede District Council. Web site
Salesian School. Web site
Stewart. Gas Works of the North Thames area.
Unither. Web site
Wickley and Middleton. Railway Statios. Southern Region