Riverside. West of the Tower. north bank Fulham Bishops Park
Post to the north Fulham Palace Road and riverside and Harrods Village
Post to the west Barnes
Post to the south Putney Boathouse
Fulham Palace and much of Fulham Palace Park are in the square to the west
Bishop's Park. This was opened as a public park in 1893 by the London County Council. It is on land which belonged to the Bishops of London and for them it was a medieval 'garden of the mind'. In 1884 Bishop Jackson persuaded the Ecclesiastical Commissioners to donate a strip of land called Bishop's Meadow for a public recreation ground. It had been osier and grazing land and prone to flood. A condition was that the river was to be embanked, and one this was taken on by the Fulham District Board of Works after the London County Council refused to do it. Later West Meadow was added to the park. A children's playground was laid out, designed by the Borough Surveyor, Francis Woods. There was a lake with a terracotta balustrade with the arms of the Fulham Vestry, and a bowling green. There was also a children's paddling area with a 'beach' with sand from Margate, The king gave a pair of swans. This area was remodelled in the mid 20th and again in 2008 but using the original design. The entrance gates in Bishops Avenue are 20th leading to a walk lined with mature plane trees. There are two bowling greens and tennis courts on the site of West Meadow with a half-timbered tennis pavilion. The original bandstand was replaced in 1959, by an open-air theatre which was replaced by a play area in 1970. It is a Category II ecology site. There is a sculpture of Eve by Edgar Allan Howe. There are also statues of Adoration, Protection, Affection and Grief, as well as Leda and the Swan. There is a rose garden, and a plaque in memory of members of the International Brigade.
Bishop's Walk, this was a right of way from the 18th leading to the church.
Embankment Walk. This forms the riverside boundary of the park.
Bollards and posts preserved here from Cory’s Wharf
Eternit – this is pitch corrugated sheeting, manufactured under licence here by G R Speakers & Co Ltd. Eternit was invented in the late 19th by Austrian, Ludvig Hatschek and was made by compacting a mix of 90% cement and 10% asbestos with water using a cardboard manufacturing machine.
The Bridge Academy. This is a Pupil Referral Unit for children outside of main stream schools. From 1916 the London County Council operated this as one block an industrial school and the other a Reformatory. This closed in 1920. It then appears to have been an infant school and later became the Gilliat Lower School.
Fulham Palace Road
St.James Home for Penitents. This was originally established at Whetstone in 1856. Funds failed, and the then Bishop of London, made the Home diocesan and a building in the Fulham Palace Road was erected in 1871. inmates were employed at laundry and needle work, etc. This is now the site of Robert Owen House.
A windmill is thought to have stood in this area from the 15th until the 1790s.
Mill Shot Farm. This was owned in the 19th by a William Bagley and related to the nearby mill.
National Benzole Wharf. Oil storage. British Motor Spirit
Eternit Wharf Sports Centre which includes the Nuffield Health Centre. This was opened by the local authority in 1980.
Stevenage Wharves. A number of companies used these wharves. In the 1920s Dodge Bros. US auto manufacturers were here. Joseph Mount provided shipping and packing facilities plus agencies for a wide range of devices. This included bonded warehousing. Other firms handled timber here.
Craven Cottage. was on the site before the football club. It was the Earl of Cholmondeley's Swiss villa - a cottage orne of 1780. It had a number of wealthy owners.
Fulham Football Ground . The club was established in 1880 and moved here in 1896 - the ground attracts thousands of visitors when matches are played. Both the east stand and the famous corner "cottage" offices of 1905 are by noted football ground designer Archibald Leach and listed. The club was originally Fulham St Andrew's Church Sunday School F.C., They won the West London Amateur Cup in 1887 and continued to succeed. They first played at Craven Cottage in 1896. They are one of the oldest established clubs in southern England currently playing professional football. They have had professional status since 1898.
Aldous. London Villages
Children’s Homes. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Field. London Place Names
Friends of Fulham Football Club. Web site
Greater London Council. Thames Guidelines,
Hasker. The Place that is called Fulhanham
London Parks and Gardens, Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Warwickshire Railways. Web site