Riverside west of the Tower South (in this case it's - east) bank - Kingston Portsmouth Road
This post shows only sites 'south' of the river. North of the river is Hampton Court Park Rick Pond
ost to the north Kingston and Hampton Wick
Post to the east Kingston
Post to the south Seething Wells and Hampton Court Palace Golf Clubhouse
Built by developer Woods on the site of the grounds of Surbiton Hall, which was to the east of this square
Archaeological investigations here show economic activity over a very long period but which may be associated with buildings in surrounding streets.
In the 18th it was called West by Thames.
25-29 The Malt House Office block,
39-41 these are all now chain restaurants but were a series of timber framed houses from the 16th.
52 Picton House. Built 1730 with a brick front and weatherboarded back. In the 1740s the entrance was moved to the side and a wing added. Inside are garlanded ceilings from the 1740s. It was converted to offices in 1979 following neglect and threatened demolition by Peter Jones. There is a plaque to Cesar Picton born in 1755 in Senegal. He was brought to England as a slave and became a coal merchant in Kingston
Kingston Pier. This is Turks Pier, upriver of Kingston Bridge.
58-62 Kingston Mill pub. This was originally opened as a Wetherspoon's pub
River House. This has been in use by Kingston University since 1994. It was previously offices for the Inland Revenue.
63 The Anglers. These flats are on the site of the Anglers Pub, which was licensed from the 1860s
66 Forge House. Site of Stephen Harris’s forge. They made iron work for many local buildings and works.
Town End Wharf. Public wharf for commercial users until the 1960s. It was turned into a park and landscaped in 1964.
River based Swimming bath was moored here. This was a floating platform in the river, plus some screening, which was towed here from near Kingston Bridge in 1882 and was subject to a dispute between the local authority and the Conservators. It closed in the early 1890s.
It had been built on the initiative of engineer John Dixon.
68 Town End Pier. This is owned and operated by Turk Launches. Turks date from before 1710. Town End Pier is the company’s office base with a floating office, Aphrodite
Before Turks it was used up to 1976 by the Mould family's boat building business.
Kingston Ferry. This ran to Town End and is apparently an ancient crossing. It was still extant in the 1930s.
Kingston Hall Road
Kingston Hall was a mansion on the site of what is now the junction with St James Road to the north and west of this square.
Kingston College. This is the main site of the College. This originated in 1899, when the Borough of Kingston upon Thames built Science and Art Schools and a Technical Institute on the present site in what is said to be the tallest building in Kingston. It is a College of Further, Higher and Adult Education having been split from what is now Kingston University in 1962.
So called because it is in a direct line with Hampton Court. Built by developer Woods on the site of the grounds of Surbiton Hall.
This was part of the turnpike road between London and Portsmouth. In the 18th it was lined with trees and started at the junction with today’s High Street. The Surbiton end was for 'hired pleasure'
Queen’s Promenade had been set up by the mid-19th. In 1838 it was still a swampy area used for gravel extraction and the earth slips on the foreshore had weakened the main road. There were many accidents so Brunel was asked to do it but his scheme was too expensive. Developer William Woods had intended to build a causeway to the houses he was building and following a deal with the Kingston Board a promenade was built for public use. This was made of earth from Chelsea Water Works filter beds which were being built upstream and there was also support of expertise from the City of London. The old public landing called Rampier's Wharf was moved to Town Wharf. So the new embankment was opened by Queen Victoria; but following a later collapse was rebuilt using stone from old Blackfriars Bridge. The area had been called Towns End, then Queen's Parade, then Queen's Road. A Bandstand was built to commemorate Alderman Marsh,
1 Hermes Hotel. 17th house facing the river
19 Army Centre. Drill Hall used by the 4th Battalion The Queen’s Royal Surrey Regiment. Since then used as headquarters of a Field Ambulance’. This is on the site of a house once occupied by the family of the artist Millais who tried to bring culture to Kingston.
St.Raphael Roman Catholic Church built 1846/7. It faces the Thames and was built by Mr.Raphael, MP, as thanks for recovery from illness. It was designed by architect Charles Parker in an Italianate style, with early Christian and Renaissance influences. The cost was met by Alexander Raphael, a Catholic Armenian whose family came from India. He was the first Roman Catholic to be elected Sheriff of London. The Church was built as a family chapel but in 1850, Raphael died. His nephew, Edward, inherited it and opened it to the public. It remained with the family until it was sold to the Diocese of Southwark after the Second World War.
28 Angelsea Lodge/The Limes. Home of engineer John Dixon who brought Cleopatra’s Needle to London. Built in the 1870s.
1 Scouts. The building belongs to the 3rd Kingston Scout Group which was founded in 1913, followed by a Cub group in 1919. Their original meeting place was at the All Saints' Mission Hall in Wood Street. They fund raised for their own building which opened in 1928. This site was compulsorily purchased in 1966 to allow for the building of the Crown Court. The current building was provided by McAlpine's and opened by Rowan Bentall in 1973. The Group first admitted girls in 1992.
Wilcox Automobiles Workshops and MOT Centre. Archaeological work here uncovered remains from periods from the Bronze Age onwards but particularly late medieval settlement remains. The site is thought to have been the yard of a butchers shop.
Mineral water factory. This was the earliest such factory set up by Thomas Raynsford in the 1850s. The business later expanded and moved to Ashdown Road
Maltings. A malthouse is shown on 19th maps at the south end of the road.
Malthouses are shown on both sides of the road at the end nearest the river in hr 1860s
3 The Elms. Built in the 1770s by George Wadbrook
Clock House. This house stood near the river and there are said to be remains in the gardens on the corner of Woodbines Avenue. It dated from 1793
The name might refer to a low lying meadow. It is said to have been an area of malthouses in the 19th.
Kingston Pure Ice and Storage Co. This stood east of the junction with South Lane – across the road from the current Scouts building. It was extant pre Second World War
33-35 Kingston & Surbiton District Synagogue. There were many Jews in Kingston in the 19th and early 20th centuries. During the 1920s, services and a cheder were held at a house in Catherine Road. After the Second World War three ladies were instrumental in sitting up Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur services at the local Assembly Rooms. By the early 1950s the community owned a site and became affiliated to the United Synagogue. In June 1954 the foundation stone of the present synagogue was laid.
Name from Woodbines Estate which derived from the Clock House on the corner of Surbiton Road
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Greater London Council, Thames Guidelines
Hawkins. Archaeological investigations at East Lane and South Lane
Kingston & Surbiton District Synagogue. Web site
London Borough of Kingston. Web site,
London Transport, Country Walks
Pevsner and Cherry .South London
Sampson. All Change
Sampson. Kingston Past
Sampson. The Kingston Book
Shepherd and Laws. The Bittoms
St. Raphael. Web site
Surrey Archaeological Collections. Web site
13th Kingston Scouts. Web site
Tucker. Ferries of the Lower Thames
Turk Bros. Web site