The Tillingbourne flows north westward
Post to the east East Shalford
East Shalford Lane
Lemon Bridge, over the Tillingbourne
Tile House Farm. Tithe barn at Tile House Farm. This is 16th with a timber frame on brick and stone plinths with weatherboard cladding. It is now a vet's practice. Tiles were manufactured here in the 14th and 15th.
Pillbox. On a section of GHQ Line is a drum shaped anti tank gun emplacement which is overlooking a bridge over the Tillingbourne. It was constructed by J Mowlem Ltd and the design is unique to this part of the GHQ line. The embrasure gives an excellent view of the road and the bridge but the inside is flooded and it sits on a concrete raft which is surrounded by damp ground.
Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee Fountain. This was erected in 1897 with much celebration
Village sign. This stands at the junction of the A281 and King’s Road and dates from 1922. It was designed by Christopher Webb, and cathedral architect W.H. Randall Blacking. The two shared a studio in Quarry Street. The sign was the result of a competition to create village signs run by the Daily Mail. It shows St Christopher carrying the Christ Child through a shallow ford,
Electricity substation building
Bridge Office – now a ‘Collectables’ shop
Cemetery. Shalford cemetery opened in 1887 because the churchyard at St Mary’s was full. It was put on land called the Kiln Field purchased from the Godwin-Austen Estate. There is a Lychgate built in 1886 in Bargate rubble stone with open timber-framed upper walls. The Chapel was also built 1886 by E L Lunn of Peak & Lunn in Bargate rubblestone. Inside it is a decorative roof with moulded stone corbels and the framework of a former roof feature. There are 4 Commonwealth war graves from the Great War I and 6 from the Second World War.
10 Shalford and District Social Club. Queen’s Hall. The building has 1886 on the top gable.
53 Thursley House. Used by the local parish council.
Pet Doctors Veterinary Clinics. These buildings are on the site of a railway coal yard
Shalford Station. Opened in 1849 by the Red Hill and Reading Branch of the South Eastern Railway.
The Queen Victoria. Pub
31 Lemon Bridge Cottage. 19th house.
32-34 16th Cottages with 19th changes. Timber framed and First floor jettied
36 – 40 Moles Cottage is now partly a shop. It dates from the 16th and is timber framed with whitewashed roughcast walls
44 Beech House. House built around 1820 with a whitewashed stucco front
Whitnorth. 17th house refronted in the 18th and extended at the back. The timber frame is exposed with brick infill
Shalford Mill. There was a mill here at Domesday and milling finally ended in 1914. In 1408 it belonged to John atte Lee of Guildford and was later recorded as Pratt’s Mill. In 1599 George Austen owner of Shalford Rectory Manor, built a second mill beside it and in 1653 there were two corn mills and a malt mill .It closed in 1914 and became a store for Fogwills seed merchants, then a furniture store. It was saved from demolition in 1932 by Ferguson’s Gang who fund raised, eccentrically, and presented to the National Trust. John Macgregor converted the eastern part of the Mill, to a holiday home and in the Second World War it housed artists, intellectuals and musicians who were refugees from Nazi Europe. Now the National Trust operates a programme of guided tours there. It is an 18th timber framed tile hung corn mill with well-preserved machinery and breast shot wheel.
War Memorial. This commemorates the residents of Shalford who were killed or missing in the Great War (47) and the Second World War II (22).
The Sea Horse. Pub built in the 17th with a 19th extension at the back. It was built as a house called Burtons and as a pub was once called The Mermaid. It was never a coaching inn. In 1940 it was on the GHQ Stopline so at the back was a wide anti-tank ditch coming from the Wey an extended across the pub’s garden: Concrete blocks were placed over the yard and a pillbox was built into the garden bank. Loopholes for rifles were cut into the west and south walls of the pub. Outside three concrete blocks were erected with slots to hold a steel barrier to form a roadblock – and one of these blocks remains, marked with a commemorative plaque which says “GHQ Stopline. This roadblocks marks the line of the last ditch defence against German invasions summer 1940” Holes were dug in the road, to be filled with explosives. By 1972 the owners, Gales Brewery wanted to demolish and replace the building plus eight houses on the land. In 1997 the pub became part of Bass’s Vintage Inns chain, and they tried to change the name to ‘The Wise Old Owl’. It has since passed to Birmingham brewers Mitchell and Butler
Gate to County First School. Designed 1855 by Henry Woodyer. Wooden on brick plinth walls.
Shalford Infant School. This was originally Shalford National School built in 1855 by William Swayne of Guildford
British Listed Buildings. Web site
English Heritage. Web site
Hartner. Industrial Archaeology of Guildford
Haselfoot. The Batsford Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East England.
National Trust Guide
Pevsner and Cherry, Surrey
Shalford Scouts. Web site
Shalford Village Web site
Surrey Industrial Archaeology
Wikeley and Middleton. Railway Stations. Southern Region