Great Eastern Rail Line to Ilford. Roman Road Bow
The Great Eastern line from Bethnal Green Station runs north eastwards
Post to the south Mile End
Post to the east Old Ford
112 The Lord Cardigan Pub. Dates from 1860s.
22 Ordell Arms. This pub dated from at least the 1870s but closed in 2001 and converted to housing.
Tredegar Works. This site in the 19th was used by Perry & Co. undertakers of large scale construction projects who also had a saw mill here. In the 1960s it was a transport depot for Kearley and Tonge, chain of small supermarkets who had a depot on the site responsible for the maintenance of 137 vehicles and 13 trailers and servicing for the 117 vehicles and 40 trailers in their fleet. It was later used by Stanton Rubber and Plastic who left in 2003 since when it has been used for housing.
Old Ford's principal shopping street, so-named since the 1860s when Roman remains were first discovered at its end close to the site of the 'old ford' across the River Lea.
Market – This began in 1869s,
Washing strong across lines in the street. This art work was part of an improved lighting scheme in 2006.
490 John Bull Pub. This pub dated from at least 1850 and was a Taylor Walker house. It closed in 1996 and is now a shop.
Bow Baths, now demolished. Stood in what is now Roman Road Market. There were slipper baths, a swimming pool and public laundry, as well as a hall for community meetings. The suffragettes held many demonstrations there. It was on the site of a previous timer yard and saw pits.
516-517 Muslim Community Centre, Established 2000.
527 The Trader. This pub was called the Needle Gun and dated from 1872 in an older building. It was a Taylor Walker house and renamed in the 1990s. It closed in 2009.
568a pawnbrokers shop in what appears to be a rebuild using the front of the Bow North Congregational Chapel
580-586 Match Maker Pub. Now closed. It was a Wetherspoons pub and is now a discount shop. Before Wetherspoons took it on it was an indoor market and before that a Caters supermarket. On the side wall in Cardigan Street there is what appears to be an art work on a concrete panel above a door.
599 The Ranelagh Arms. This pub was here before 1860. It was a Courage house and closed in 2000. It is now a shop.
612 Rose of Denmark. This pub closed in 2006 and is now a shop. It was there before 1870 and was a Watney’s house, sold to Belhaven in 1990.
Ideas Store – this was Passmore Edwards Public Library built 1901. of Bow, but is now known as the Ideas Store. There are cherubs over the main entrance and the original name plaque remains is on the corner of the building. It has been refurbished inside by Bissett Adams in 2002
May Lion Liquid Soap works, post Second World War
Selwyn Green. Small green space reclaimed as part of regeneration of local housing.
Saxon Lea Court . This was St Stephen’s National Schools built by James Tolley in 1859 with an extension from 1893-4 by G.E. Holman. It is now flats. The foundation stone of the extension was laid in 1893 by the Duchess of Teck.
St Stephen's Road
The area was thoroughly cleared of its c 19 housing and industry from the 1960s, principally by the LCC and GLC, frustrated by the slow progress of Poplar Borough's own rehousing programme.
55Ritz Cinema. This was near the corner with Roman Road. It opened as the in Old Ford Picture Palace in 1910. In 1937, it was re-named Ritz Cinema Cinemascope was installed in the mid-1950’s and it was enlarged. It closed in 1961 and converted into a bingo club, but the building was burnt down a month later. The site is now housing.
74 The Albert. Pub.
St Paul’s Church. This was built in 1878 by Newman & Billing. The Foundation stone was laid by J.D. Allcroft, Chairman of the Building Committee. It was disused for ten years until funds became available in 2003 for a conversion to mixed use. This was through ‘A New Heart for Bow’ project and undertaken Matthew Lloyd Architects and £3.3 million was fund raised. The result is a refurbished building with four floors of facilities for the whole community.
103 Brine’s wood factory. This was the home of the Lansbury family, until 1920. The timber yard belonged to Bessie Lansbury's father. The yard was renamed the Russian Veneer factory around 1921, but the business later failed.
Third Base. Tower Hamlets Pupil Referral Unit
64 Tregedars. Cash and Carry warehouse in the silk mill and warehouse buildings
Silk mill. A silk mill was built here in 1873 for Stephen Walters & Sons described as a manufacturer of ‘umbrella, tie, velvet and garment silks’, with London offices in Wilson Street. They later moved outside London to various sites including Sudbury
Tilley, Carr & Co. warehouse and office block
66 Drill Hall. In 1908, the 17th (County of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (Poplar & Stepney Rifles), was formed by the amalgamation of two local Volunteer Corp one of which was the 2nd Tower Hamlets Volunteer Rifle Corps. Their Drill Hall was here and they recruited throughout Tower Hamlets. They fought in the Great Bar and fought their first battle in the coalfields at Loos and went on to much more. In the 1920s, with the re-establishment of the Territorial Army they were reduced to one battalion. In 1937 they war renamed as the Tower Hamlets Rifles, The Rifle Brigade (Prince Consorts Own). During the Second World War, they fought in the Middle East, French North Africa and Italy. In 1947 the Tower Hamlets Rifles ceased to exist as a separate unit, when it became the 625 LAA Regiment RA (Rifle Brigade). Between the wards the Drill Hall was used for major boxing matches and was bombed in the Second World War. It was replaced by the Royal Mail sorting office.
Bow Royal Mail sorting office
St Stephens Church. This was constructed in 1858 and destroyed by bombing during the Second World War. the parish was united with the parish of Saint Paul, in 1961.
Wrights Road Community Centre.
CAMRA. City and east London beer guide,
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
East London History Society Newsletter
Free Art in East London. Web site
London Borough of Tower Hamlets. Web site/
Lost Pubs. Web site
Nairn. Nairn’s London
Osborne. Defending London
Pevsner and Cherry, East London
Poplar and Stepney Rifles. Web site
St.Paul’s. Web site
Victoria County History,