Saturday, 19 April 2014

North London Railway - Kensal Rise

The North London line running from Kensal Rise Station continues south westwards

Post to the east Kensal Rise
Post to the west Kensal Green

This posting covers only the south east corner of the square

Bathurst Gardens
Library - originally a reading room opened by Mark Twain on 27th September 1900. At the ceremony, Mark Twain gave the Library Committee Chairman five of his books and a signed photograph.[4]  By 1904 money from the Andrew Carnegie Trust allowed a proper library to be opened on a site donated by All Souls College. In 1994, the interior was refurbished in a Neo-Edwardian style but the library has now closed.

Clifford Gardens
The housing was built in 1896 by Langler and Pinkham.

College Road
Relates to local land ownership by All Souls College, Oxford
161 College Green Children’s Centre.
161 Doyle Nursery
161 College Road School. This was a special needs school which had moved here from Leinster Road where it had opened in 1912.  It closed after 1954 and became an education, training and youth centre for Brent in 1961. It is now the site of the Children’s Centre.
123 The Island. Pub built in the 1970s which was previously called The Buccaneer, said to look vaguely like a pirate ship.
101 site of St.Martin’s Vicarage. This was bombed and destroyed in the Second World War – the vicar dying of his injuries.
Princess Frederica School. Opened as a National School by the Church Extension Association, working through the Anglican community of the Sisters of the Church in 1889 for boys, girls and infants. It was financed by a parliamentary grant, vol. contributions, and school pence – and opened by Princess Frederica who was a patron of the Association and a cousin of Queen Victoria. It was reorganised by 1948 and in 1965 was passed to the London Diocesan Board of Education.  It was extended and modernized in 1975 and reorganised again in 1978.


Leighton Gardens
Stember Hall. 28th Willesden Scout Hut


Purves Road
Purves was the solicitor of the United Land Company who were developers in this area.  The land was sold to them by All Souls College and the builders were Vigers.


Sources
British History Online. Willesden. Web site
Clunn. Face of London
GLIAS Newsletter
London Borough of Brent. Web site
Middlesex Churches
National Archives. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Snow. Queen’s Park
St.Martin, Kensal Rise. Web site.
Willesden History society newsletter
Willesden Scouts. Web site

No comments: