Saturday, 19 April 2014

North London Railway. Kensal Green

The North London Line from Kensal Rise station runs westwards

Post to the east Kensal Rise
Post to the west Willesden Junction

This posting covers only the south west corner of the square

All Souls Avenue
Relates to local land ownership by All Souls College, Oxford
St Mark's Church. The church was founded in 1914


Holland Road
Elmwood Green – the area bounded by All Souls Avenue, Holland Road and Buchanan Gardens and known locally as this since the 19th was once farmland with an avenue of elms. It has been the site of a tennis club since the late 19th.
Elmwood Tennis Club. The club has 6 courts, a clubhouse and a large green

Wrottesley Road
Harlesden Green stretched from here to All Souls Church and the road was called Green Lane
Kensal Green and Harlesden Station. This station opened in 1861and closed in 1873.  It was on the north side west of the Wrottesley Road rail bridge

Sources
Clunn. The Face of London
Connor. Forgotten Stations
Elmwood Tennis Club. Web site.
Field. London Place Names,
Middlesex Churches
Mitchell and Smith. North London Line
Pevsner and Cherry.  North West London
St.Mark’s Church. Web site

No comments: